Production Nissan EsFlow to Debut at Tokyo 2013!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And very interesting that Nissan has just announced they will be adding a couple more EV's to their line up over the next 2(ish) years. They know its time to expand their offerings. Christmas might really come early this year!

I spoke to a guy who works for Nissan EV division in Tennessee this weekend & he said there are 4 new EVs coming. First 2 being vans, cargo & something else & he wouldn't say anything about the other 2. Said I'd have to wait for the car shows.

He doesn't like the LEAF, thinks the battery isn't sturdy enough.

Philip

Given how Tesla is stealing all the thunder, it might make sense for Nissan to produce a sports EV.

IF Nissan does choose to put a sports version EV into Production in the next few years, it will most likely be an EREV based on the drivetrain and lessons-learned from the upcoming ZEOD RC. Too many limitations regarding their current batts prevent them from building a successful mass produced performance oriented BEV. It's not likely that they will attempt to produce a Model S competitor anytime soon.

="Drivesolo

...Too many limitations regarding their current batts prevent them from building a successful mass produced performance oriented BEV...

It is looking to me like, other than the LEAF -based Van already announced, all future Nissan/Infiniti EVs may use a second-generation battery (as implied by the Infiniti LE delay announcement) as well as inductive charging.

So "current" battery limitations, may not be relevant to future Nissan BEVs.

="Drivesolo

...It's not likely that they will attempt to produce a Model S competitor anytime soon.

Tesla does not have plans to produce a two-seat or sports car in the near future, so it looks like Tesla will have nothing available to compete with an EsFlow.

The Infiniti LE and Gen 3 Tesla will probably be the first direct Tesla/Nissan competition, when and if they both go into production.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8449" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally, I hope Nissan builds the EsFlow, as it would the perfect complimentary BEV to my family truckster LEAF.

But I may decide to wait for a ~150-200 mile range Autonomous Drive second generation ESFLOW, if that is really only ~6 years out, as I think it might be.

In 2007 I pledged that—by 2010—Nissan would mass-market a zero-emission vehicle. Today, the Nissan LEAF is the best-selling electric vehicle in history. Now I am committing to be ready to introduce a new ground-breaking technology, Autonomous Drive, by 2020, and we are on track to realize it.

—CEO Carlos Ghosn

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2013/08/20130828-ad.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It may be a while before Nissan/Infiniti comes out w/ a BEV sports car or coupe. Nissan might be 5+ years away. They have a lot of upcoming BEVs to focus on and probably do not have the resources to devote to a proper BEV sports car or coupe.

Rumors are floating around about the Tesla Roadster 2.0 (Model R?); it may even be closer to market than a Nissan sports BEV or EREV but will most likely be priced in the $100k range as it's performance will undoubtedly be better than the Roadster. My guess is that soon after the Model X begins to deliver; Tesla will announce it's plans for the next gen Roadster. They'll continue the trend of X# cars in Production, 1 car in queue for Production, and 1 car as a Concept. Today it's; Production: Model S, In Queue: Model X and Concept: Gen 3 (Model E?).

edatoakrun said:
It is looking to me like, other than the LEAF -based Van already announced, all future Nissan/Infiniti EVs may use a second-generation battery (as implied by the Infiniti LE delay announcement) as well as inductive charging.
So "current" battery limitations, may not be relevant to future Nissan BEVs.

But if they wait until 2015, they could be using a gen 3 battery pack which will have a different chemistry plus more density. I was told it would have a 150-175 mile range.

evnow said:
Given how Tesla is stealing all the thunder, it might make sense for Nissan to produce a sports EV.

Seriously! I have never been shy about my opinion that Nissan needs to add a serious dose of passion/performance to their EV lineup. A sexy 2400lb flickable torque monster would get Nissan back in the EV spot light real fast! I think this has been Nissan's preference all along but its taken the Tesla effect + BMW i3 to kick everything into production mode. Tesla has proven that people will happily pay more for a BETTER car and BMW has proven that a production EV can be made of Carbon. When you add these two market facts together plus Nissans foundation in Performance and fresh push for Nismo and Tech, you get a pure BEV EsFlow.

Lets remember, the ZEOD is to shock the public about electric motors, not batteries. Its about 0-100 and blistering top speed which will complement the launch of an electric sports car nicely. EREV is for Infiniti. The second gen LEAF will address affordable+range. Its time to open a new front in the EV war!

The article below is not exactly clear on anything, other than "the electric powertrain will rule" and we still have ~2 months to wait to see how...

Nissan Development boss Andy Palmer has told Auto Express the manufacturer will launch a new Z-car

Development boss Andy Palmer confirmed that the model, likely to appear as a concept, will be smaller and lighter than the current 370Z and could look quite different from a traditional sports car.

Power could come from a downsized turbocharged petrol engine although Palmer also stressed that he was keen to use electric power, too.

A high-powered Nismo version is on the agenda, too. “A sleek sports car is nice but not the way I want to address the next generation of sports car drivers,” Palmer told Auto Express. “Kids in the UK are not taking their driving test, so while my generation grew up adoring the sports car, we have to find a new way of reaching those customers. To me that is where the electric powertrain will rule.”
Palmer confirmed that the Juke Nismo offers some hints at what Nissan is looking at...

“Do I know what it looks like? Yes I do. Have I driven it? Yes I have. When will you see it? Come to Tokyo.”

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/nissan/370z/65991/nissan-launch-new-z-car" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wouldn't be surprised if the Z35 comes w/ a turbo and/or performance-hybrid flavor. Seeing that the current VQ37HR is based off of technology well over a decade old, it's about time for a whole new power plant. Possibly something from their Mercedes partnership?

Whatever the Z35 package will be, it will continue to be the Z / Fairlady Z, not the Esflow. I think that Nissan will reuse the Silvia moniker as as possible affordable performance EREV or BEV.

I always love these unsubstantiated "I was told..." threads. :)

LEAFfan said:
But if they wait until 2015, they could be using a gen 3 battery pack which will have a different chemistry plus more density. I was told it would have a 150-175 mile range.

Did Nissan announce a production vehicle based on the Esflow at the Tokyo Auto Show or was the BladeGlider the big announcement?

That's disappointing. I was really excited about seeing a production version of the Esflow, especially if it were to be fully electric. The BladeGlider is interesting but not something i would get.

How can the Bladeglider and the ESFlow be one and the same when they are completely different vehicles?

Jim said:
That's disappointing. I was really excited about seeing a production version of the Esflow, especially if it were to be fully electric. The BladeGlider is interesting but not something i would get.

The Blade Glider is a 100% BEV

as far as my statement about ES Flow. it was always in the concept stage and the details escape me right now but I might be wrong.

http://www.slashgear.com/nissan-z35-to-possibly-fulfill-2011-esflow-concept-at-tokyo-motor-show-04304171/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

**edit**

oh forgot to add; was at the show and saw nothing that might even be considered an ES Flow variant but then again, if it did not have a plug, my interest in the car would have been very weak...

as far as being disappointed in the Blade Glider, i find that statement a bit hard to swallow. can you elaborate?

Jim said:

had the impression that 100% electric was the only ES Flow version being developed

DaveinOlyWA said:
as far as being disappointed in the Blade Glider, i find that statement a bit hard to swallow. can you elaborate?

I'm not disappointed in the BladeGlider. I'm disappointed in the fact the Esflow isn't going to be the vehicle that gets made. I really wanted a small two-seat electric car.

I am disappointed in the BladeGlider because it's another weird concept car that won't be built and that few would probably buy anyway. The ESFlow would have sold well. Nissan still doesn't get it.

Back