Prius RV ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sondy132001

http://tinyhousetalk.com/four-can-sleep-comfortably-toyota-prius-rv-lifestyle/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Four Can Sleep Comfortably in this Toyota Prius RV
on June 12, 2015

If you enjoy the RV lifestyle, and you have about $50,000 to spend, Car Taka can build a Prius RV for you.

Named the Relax Cabin, this converted Prius is 20 inches longer than the standard-issue Prius. With its 80-inch tall roof, just about anyone can stand up and move freely around this vehicle.

Simple food prep and eating are not an issue in this car, as the Relax Cabin contains a microwave and a fridge. In addition, there are countertop surfaces and seats which make dining even more of a relaxing experience.

Thanks to a built-in compartment in the top of the vehicle where one or two people can lie comfortably, sleeping in this car is almost like sleeping in a home. Four people can sleep in this RV at a time.

Car Taka will build this RV for you according to your preferences starting at around $36,000. Here are some photos of the aptly-named Relax Cabin for you to enjoy:

I like it. Would be fun to rent and use to travel about for a few months in the summer. Lack of toilet is a bit limiting perhaps... I suppose one could carry one of those portable chemical bucket types and some sort of privacy screen and set it up outside...

I do wonder what the fuel efficiency would be on it while driving...

That think must blow all over and be horrible to drive. Just get a Sprinter van instead that gets up to 30MPG and has massive space and will drive so much better and safer.

LeftieBiker said:
It would make more sense to upgrade the car's towing capability and then tow a $20k trailer with some real living space.

It would make more sense to get a real tow vehicle than to try to upgrade a Prius to do so. Or better yet, rent a motorhome.

If you have to be "green" you can always make a camper conversion based the VIA Motors PHEV-converted trucks based on the Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra pickups, or the Chevy Express/GMC Savana vans. Not cheap though, and unless you constantly travel cross-country and live out of your camper, it will be a long time before you see any real savings due to the high initial cost.

Then again, the same could be said by adding a camper to a Prius, something Toyota never designed it for, and you'll see increased wear and tear on all the driveline, braking, and suspension components.

Slow1 said:
Lack of toilet is a bit limiting perhaps... I suppose one could carry one of those portable chemical bucket types and some sort of privacy screen and set it up outside...

Remember that VW camper vans didn't have toilets either.

I do wonder what the fuel efficiency would be on it while driving...

It would be just like its acceleration, handling, and braking....all gone to crap (speaking of toilet) from all that added weight.

EVDRIVER said:
That think must blow all over and be horrible to drive. Just get a Sprinter van instead that gets up to 30MPG and has massive space and will drive so much better and safer.

This.

It would make more sense to get a real tow vehicle than to try to upgrade a Prius to do so. Or better yet, rent a motorhome.

The idea is to use a Prius for camping, so I suggested the best way to do that: make the camping part optional, not always there. It doesn't have to be a large trailer (and can't be anyway, obviously). I would also submit that if you want to be able to use the Prius's electric A/C and an inverter, a Prius PHEV (PIP) would be the far better choice.

Yogi62 said:
I love RVs but not this concept. Paring a Prius with an appropriate trailer and/or a tent extension is the efficient and flexible way to go.

True, the entire concept is a bit of a joke and I'm sure the ride and handling are terrible not to mention the ability to climb any hill. Wrong platform, wrong implementation.

Back