Pricing Help!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soviet

Okay, I reserved the car many months ago, we did the stuff, the waiting, the moaning; eventually managed to get the pricing quote on January 20: $31,445. The car came in TODAY. We can't pick it up because the dealer has to test it out, work on some stuff, do some registration, blah, blah, blah.

However, we just made a call to our sales guy, with whom we've worked before in the purchase of our van; he's a great guy. He quoted us $37,000 ALL IN (freight, destination charge, registration, taxes, etc.) and the base price was closer to MSRP of $33,720 than the $31,445 that we were quoted in January. When we asked him what was up, he claimed not to remember, which I don't doubt, since it's been 6 months and 1 day.

My question is.....what's going on? Is this similar to what happened to y'all, or did you guys end up paying the same MSRP that you were quoted? What may be happening?

If I can't drive away with this car tomorrow, I'm going to cry. Seriously. In the era of instant gratification, I have never waited this long for anything in my entire life. With the possible exception of a college degree. Still, though, I'm worried.

What are you guys thinking? Thank you SO much in advance!

What was the price on the dashboard that you accepted? That is the quote you agreed to. Anything verbal is going to be impossible to enforce.

Login to your LEAF Dashboard here:
http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/login/auth

Click on the "order your Nissan LEAF" tab and then click "order summary"
Print that out, and take it to the dealer. That is the quote you agreed upon.

The number does NOT include tax, registration or destination charge.

TNleaf said:
Login to your LEAF Dashboard here:
http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/login/auth

Click on the "order your Nissan LEAF" tab and then click "order summary"
Print that out, and take it to the dealer. That is the quote you agreed upon.

The number does NOT include tax, registration or destination charge.

TNleaf is exactly right. The price listed on your dashboard is what your dealer agreed to sell the car to you for--plus the items he quoted above. Don't get ripped off.

The price on the dashboard was the $31,445. How do we know that this is binding? (for the items described, of course, not including tax, registration, etc.)

I don't see how tax and registration/shipping is going to take it to $37k.

So how is the price on the dashboard truly binding? Is it as good as a contract?

Soviet said:
The price on the dashboard was the $31,445. How do we know that this is binding? (for the items described, of course, not including tax, registration, etc.)

So how is the price on the dashboard truly binding? Is it as good as a contract?
It's in writing which makes it infinitely better than verbal. Print it out and take it in. If you don't get satisfaction, try complaining to Nissan...since that constitutes your official order, they would likely take a dim view of the dealer not honoring it...but I bet your salesman will cave. Car dealers are always trying to slip things past customers. Show him you have your ducks in a row and be firm and you'll likely prevail.

My dashboard price was different than the price we had verbally committed to. I called the sales manager and made him send me an email that showed the price that we agreed upon. The email really gave me insurance that they could not back out of the deal we made.

37K seems a little high, but if you're in CA tax, tittle, destination etc all add up - it's probably not too far off

I was given $1000 off MSRP and the final total was up near 37

$37k out the door sounds right on the money for a SV at MSRP.

rpmdk....yours sounds on the money for a SL or SL-e with a $1k discount from MSRP. My own non-EVP SL w/ QC and floor mats (so about $900 of extras) was $38k out the door with a $1k discount from MSRP.

Maybe he is just trying to give you an idea of what the total out-the-door cost will be, although that still seems a bit high. Don't let them confuse you though. The sale price of the car should match your dashboard, then they should be able to itemize each additional cost (destination, tax, license, etc).

Just got a call back not an hour ago or so. He claimed that someone else gave me the RAQ of $31,445 and that they had goofed; typed it in wrong and the $31,445 was a mistake: it should have read $34,115. WTF is all I have to say.

This happened January 20 & they didn't notice it at all for all these months? Bloody hell. Don't know what's gonna happen.

I'm really confused at how everyone's saying that they came CLOSE to $37k with all additions. Why the hell didn't Nissan just say $37k instead of $33,280 or whatever MSRP was? It's freaking annoying and borderline misleading.

I guess we'll see what happens tomorrow. I'll keep y'all updated.

Thanks for all the help, guys! You're invaluable. :mrgreen:

Soviet said:
...I'm really confused at how everyone's saying that they came CLOSE to $37k with all additions. Why the hell didn't Nissan just say $37k instead of $33,280 or whatever MSRP was? It's freaking annoying and borderline misleading.
Nissan doesn't include that stuff because items like tax and license change for different locales.

P.S. If he agreed to one number and is now trying to change it, he is trying to CHEAT you. Don't believe this "typed it in wrong" stuff. Dealers don't make mistakes like that. Not when it can cost them money.

Soviet said:

You still haven't told us what you're getting, so how are we actually to know if there is a ripoff happening?

The only way it seems to me that you're being ripped off is if you're getting a SV and expected a discount from MSRP!

Soviet said:

Yes - it is binding. Call Nissan and complain. If possible from the dealership, loudly.

Misplacing a decimal ($3,411.50 instead of $34,115.00) is a typo. Your price sounds like a legitimate discounted price that they need to honor and remind them that many other dealers are offering similar discounts. My RAQ had $1k off MSRP and when I went to pick-up my car they tried to tell me that they guy who gave me that price was no longer there and it would be MSRP. They then said that the price was based on leasing and now since I was buying the price would be full MSRP. Seems like this process still hasn't done much to reduce the haggling. They even tried to charge me for locking lugnuts saying that I had to take them since nobody was there to remove them. Needless to say they just left them on and gave them to me for free.

Miller Nissan Van Nuys was good to me - sounds like DTB's dealership really lived up to the car dealers' reputation of being cheats. I was all prepared to go in fighting and snarling and all the people there were great.

DTB said:
Misplacing a decimal ($3,411.50 instead of $34,115.00) is a typo. Your price sounds like a legitimate discounted price that they need to honor and remind them that many other dealers are offering similar discounts. My RAQ had $1k off MSRP and when I went to pick-up my car they tried to tell me that they guy who gave me that price was no longer there and it would be MSRP. They then said that the price was based on leasing and now since I was buying the price would be full MSRP. Seems like this process still hasn't done much to reduce the haggling. They even tried to charge me for locking lugnuts saying that I had to take them since nobody was there to remove them. Needless to say they just left them on and gave them to me for free.
The locking lugs are standard equipment

mwalsh said:
Soviet said:

You still haven't told us what you're getting, so how are we actually to know if there is a ripoff happening?

The only way it seems to me that you're being ripped off is if you're getting a SV and expected a discount from MSRP!

It is a Cayenne Red SL without too many options. I don't think we got ANY options, actually. is the $34,115 valid in that case?

Yes - it is binding. Call Nissan and complain. If possible from the dealership, loudly.

How can we do this? What phone number would we call?

This is just pissing me off so much. The fact that $3,115 would be an obvious typo is obvious. $31,445? Seems perfectly normal to me for a car of that nature.

We'll see what happens. Sigh. This has gone SO well (considering) and to have this crap pop up at essentially the last second is just beyond aggravating.

Just had a conversation with the boss of the house & the one who will be the primary driver of the vehicle. She already discussed it with our sales guy & he said that they goofed and the GM of the dealer agreed to lower the price on some of the added fees by $1,000 instead of going back to the original $31,445.

Soooo....okay. I guess we'll take that. At this point, after waiting so freaking long, we just want the car in our garage, you know what I mean? Ha. Noon tomorrow, it will be in there. I am absolutely, unbelievably shocked & amazed. I can't believe it's finally here.

Wow. July 23, 2011. Reserved May 28, 2010. About freaking time.

Back