Pre-Heating, 2015, S model, No timer.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJuric

I have read a dozen threads on here about pre-heating. Most of them are talking about car-wings or climate control timer, which I have gotten to work and will use in the AM or any time I know that I will be leaving at a certain time. However there seems to be a TON of different approaches to attempting to get in the car and turn the heat on while plugged in.

I tried several approaches that were mentioned here and none of them worked. I have tried.

Get in car turn car on by pressing the power button twice, both foot on and foot off. Then turn the climate control on, in several different configurations, with A/C, without A/C on defrost, without defrost and none of them worked.

I did get it to preheat by changing the climate timer to the current time, but that seems like alot to go thru to turn the heat on.

I have not tried the one suggestion that suggests, unplugging the car, plugging it in and then turning the car on and climate on quickly, hopefully before the system realizes it's plugged in. That seems like an odd approach and maybe not that great since for whatever reason it doesn't seem to work once the system knows it's plugged in and thus, I'm guessing, it's probably that way for a reason.

Is there some special combinations of button pushing that will accomplish this? I'd really like to head out to the car, open the door, push a couple buttons, start the heater and go back inside and let it warm up.

Thanks.

The S model really has only one way to preheat and that's using the CC timer. That's life with the base model.

At the risk of "too much information" here's why other methods do and don't work:

If you were to use the CC system without the car being in "Ready-to-drive" (green car icon) mode or when it is actively charging, it would rapidly drain the 12 V battery. "Ready" and "charging" are the only times the relay is closed to connect main traction battery to the car's DC/DC converter. The car's CC timer acts to put the car in charge mode. As you likely know, you can't go into "Ready" mode with the car plugged-in (for obvious reasons).

The reason the unplug, replug, quickly turn car on, turn CC on is reported to work (I haven't tried it) is because the car briefly turns on the charge system when first plugged-in (to measure the voltage, amperage, and grounding of the EVSE so it can calculate how long it would take to charge). While this is happening the main contacts are, of course, closed to engage the main traction battery. Then the car goes dormant — unless it is programmed to continue charging — and the relay to the main traction battery opens to isolate and protect it. If the CC is engaged during this time the car will continue in charging mode (according to reports of others) and all is well. [No, the car can't overcharge doing this.]

While I suppose that it would be nice to have a direct override for preheating use, Nissan already has such an override on the SV/SL models using the Carwings system. They didn't try to design another one for the base S model. The result is that "you get what you pay for". It is fortunate that they do, at least, have the CC timer implemented; it may be a nuisance to change the time on it but it does work.

FWIW.

I always hit the charge override button on the left side of the steering wheel, then when it starts charging from the EVSE, I turn on whatever climate controls I want. Looking at the EVSE, I generally see it pulling 1.5-3kw when I do this. That keeps me from having to bother with the timer on the car.

Yes, on the S just have the car plugged in to the EVSE, if it is charging just turn the car on with foot on brake and then turn on the heat. If the car isn't actively charging, hit the charge timer over ride button to start charging (or thinking about charging) then start the car with the brake depressed and turn on the heat. The trick is to do this rather quickly before the car decides it is "full" and stops the charging process. Once the heat is on it will keep charging until you unplug and "start" again and drive away. So if your already at 80% you will likely creep up a couple of %, which is fine if its cold out :)

Basically if the car is plugged in it has to be actively charging to get the heat to work.

I always hit the charge override button on the left side of the steering wheel, then when it starts charging from the EVSE

I will try that and see if it works. Do you do this while it is already charging? I.E. it's plugged in and charging, dash lights blinking, or when it's done charging at 100%?

Yes, on the S just have the car plugged in to the EVSE, if it is charging just turn the car on with foot on brake and then turn on the heat.

I will try this again but I'm almost 100% certain I've tried this already without success. Is there a specific way you have to "turn on the heat"? There seems to be a plethora of ways this has been explained. I noticed when the cabin heat comes on with the CC timer that the climate control panels is not even on. I did not notice if any particular lights came on though.

Thanks for everyone's help...supposed to be zero to -4F when I get up on Monday. Would be nice to have this all worked out by then :)

MJuric said:
I always hit the charge override button on the left side of the steering wheel, then when it starts charging from the EVSE

I will try that and see if it works. Do you do this while it is already charging? I.E. it's plugged in and charging, dash lights blinking, or when it's done charging at 100%?

Yes, on the S just have the car plugged in to the EVSE, if it is charging just turn the car on with foot on brake and then turn on the heat.

I will try this again but I'm almost 100% certain I've tried this already without success. Is there a specific way you have to "turn on the heat"? There seems to be a plethora of ways this has been explained. I noticed when the cabin heat comes on with the CC timer that the climate control panels is not even on. I did not notice if any particular lights came on though.

Thanks for everyone's help...supposed to be zero to -4F when I get up on Monday. Would be nice to have this all worked out by then :)

The car will be finished charging. I go out to it, hit the override button, then the on button twice to get it on. Then turn on the heat. It will be using the EVSE and turn on the climate controls.

Also with no one in the car you can push the recycle button as well, then it will be heating up the same in in the car and it will warm up faster. But if it is darm or the floor mats or carpet is wet you might have to leave the recirc off.

Back