Post your Gas savings here

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkjayakumar

Just got my first full month electricity bill since I got my Leaf. March & April are pretty good months to compare, because the weather is mild and there is no need for AC. The billing cycle coincidentally starts on the same day I bought the LEAF on March 12th.

March bill: 702 kWh / $80 (Leaf was not charged even a single day in this cycle)
April bill: 969 kWh / $106 (Leaf was charged all days on this billing cycle)

LEAF:

Miles driven during this period: 1200 miles
Power consumed: 267 kWh
Cost for driving 1200 miles = $26

For comparison with my Lexus RX 350:

- Gas efficiency: 19.5 miles/gallon
- Cost per gallon of gas: $3.90
- Cost to drive 1200 miles: $240

LEAF one month Savings: $214

I have a picture of a table of last 6 months of my electricity usage from my energy provider's website. Don't know how to post that picture here.

You are saving at a rate that will be about 2.5k a year, but I keep reading that hybrids and EVs dont pay off, and that it will take 10 years or more to make back the savings using them instead of a crummy ICE. Even then, I will have to pay tens of thousands for a new battery.

How can both be true?

because $214/mo x 12 mo x 8 yr = $20,544 savings, more than enough to cover battery replacement cost. And that assumes gas prices stay at $3.90 for 8 years :lol:
thankyouOB said:
You are saving at a rate that will be about 2.5k a year, but I keep reading that hybrids and EVs dont pay off, and that it will take 10 years or more to make back the savings using them instead of a crummy ICE. Even then, I will have to pay tens of thousands for a new battery.

How can both be true?

15,200 miles would have easily been $4,200 in gasoline in my F150.
Maybe $600 or $800 in electric over 11 months.

Basic car will be fully recovered in 7 years vs continuing to drive the F150.
Purchasing an econobox may have saved more but the real alternative in gasoline was a new F150.

I drove about 21,500 miles in my first year of ownership. At $3.75 per gallon, my Subaru Impreza would have cost about $3,664 for gas. At $0.07773 per kWh, I've spent about $441 for electricity for a total savings of $3,223.

Yeah, these things never pay off! :lol:

I am going to say I am roughly saving $1600 over 08 Nissan Sentra at 10k miles per year, on other hand, I sold perfectly running car with low mileage and bought Leaf with extra $13k+, so that's the money that I would like to see pay off which could be 5-6 years.

My Leaf (about 5 miles per kWh from the wall) is replacing 10,000 miles per year driven on old Toyota Camry (28 MPG the way I drive):

Camry - 10000 / 28 * $4.00 per gallon = $1429

Leaf - 10000 / 5 * $0.15 = $300

Savings - $1129

Even more important - 357 gallons of gas NOT burned

My situation:
Replaced a 1995 Toyota Tercel = 36 mpg (winter / summer ave.)
9000 miles last year = 250 gal of fuel @ $4/gal = $1000

Leaf = 3.5 m/kWh (wall to wheels)
9000 mi = 2571 kWh @ .13 = $334.28 (renewable green source option)

What I don't want to drive commuting anymore (I did for 15 years though) - tow vehicle:
1984 GMC 2500 van = 12.5 mpg
same 9000 mi. = 720 gal @ $4/gal = $2880

GMC savings = $2545.72
Tercel savings = $665.72

Leaf = 12% of GMC $$ & 33% of Tercel $$ - not counting the usual oil change / tune up / brakes etc.

It will take 15 years to pay for the new battery over Tercel costs (fuel only - not oil, tune & mechanical)
Takes only 4 years over GMC fuel cost.

Prior to the Leaf, I had been doing most of my commuting by motorcycle for many years. So, at 60mpg, the savings from the Leaf is not nearly as dramatic as for some others...

TomT said:
Prior to the Leaf, I had been doing most of my commuting by motorcycle for many years. So, at 60mpg, the savings from the Leaf is not nearly as dramatic as for some others...

In this case it's the convenience that's more dramatic :lol:

Boy! All of you guys with 7 to 13 cents per kW juice. Not in SF Bay Area. 20 to 50 cents is more like it, particularly summer juice. Here you burn through the 9 cent juice in no time (about 4 days) and you're off to the highest tiers (tears, ha-ha!). PG&E is a big SOB when it comes to cost of electricity. I plan to get solar in a couple of years to thumb in their noses -- and of course to save money, etc. Particularly when I get a 2nd BEV.

Either way, I figure, I save conservatively about 120 to max 150 bucks a month Leafing about 60 miles daily, which amounts to about 1/3 of the cost of gas. I was hoping for much more savings similar to what I see in this thread. Most of you seem to pay 1/10 of the gas cost.

Didn't realize how fast I'll jump the tiers with charging -- and that despite the fact I'm on TOU and charge at night when I'm supposed to be in the lower tier. The bill is so convoluted, it's hard to figure out what PG&E is doing.

2011 LEAF (June) replaced my 2000 Honda Civic GX
Drove GX 5K-6K miles (around 40mpg) from June '10-June '11
Paid about $2 for CNG
Saving about $600 yr. since I have no electric bill
Didn't lease it for the fuel savings

I know this is just about fuel savings, but I'm saving a lot more because the GX was high maintenance: over $3000 for just the last year I owned it.

TomT said:
Yes, but if you are powering it with some kind of renewable energy, you aren't burning fossil fuels. Less pollution, less GHG leading to climate change. It is still an improvement.

electric-cars-charging-costs-savings-fact-3.jpg

For more information about this, see this post.

-Phil

mkjayakumar said:
Can someone tell me how to post a picture in here ? thanks.
Two ways:
First, become either a forum supporter (?) or gold member and you will gain the ability to attach a picture to your posts.
Otherwise, you'll need to first upload your picture somewhere on the web and then use the img tag facility to provide the URL of the image so that it will display in your post.

As for my gas savings based on March usage:

437.34 kWh from the wall @ 10.29 cents/kWh (more or less factoring in fees & taxes) = $45 electricity cost
1715 miles driven
Our mileage for the types of trips we use the LEAF for (around town) is 23.5mpg
That would require about 73.0 gallons of gas
I'll use $3.799 for the price of gas in March in this area (it's about 10 cents higher now)
Cost of gas: $277.25

Base savings in March: $232.25

However, I buy 5 blocks of green power credits to cover 500kWh of power. That costs me an additional $20 in electricity cost, so my actual savings is "only" $212.25 for March.

I don't think it will scale equally for a full year. March miles were about 300 miles more than Jan & Feb. It's kind of hard to predict what our full year mileage will be since our driving patterns have changed significantly since getting the LEAF. It's basically replacing 2 different cars to some extent (I share the LEAF with my wife as much as possible). I'll estimate that I'll be saving between $2000 and $2500 in gas costs and about $120 in oil changes over the course of a year at current gas prices.

Commute and normal errands =approximately 1900 miles per month. Used to use my Honda CRX HF at roughly 40 mpg (lots of hills). Gas is $4.20/gal = $199.50/month using highly efficient ICE

LEAF charges at home on E9B PG&E rate and free at work - Average monthly cost is $25.00 (including $6.50/month meter charge)
Monthly savings = $199.50-$25= $174.5/month x 12 months/year = $2094 annual savings plus savings in maintenance of approximately $250/yr (no oil changes or tune ups) = $2344/yr :D

This thread is talking about cost, which is fairly easy to quantify. Climate and ecology considerations are much more difficult to quantify... And besides, I just power it off that line that comes in from the power plant down the street... :)

Stoaty said:
TomT said:
Yes, but if you are powering it with some kind of renewable energy, you aren't burning fossil fuels. Less pollution, less GHG leading to climate change. It is still an improvement.

Back