Portland Oregon Group

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DarkStar said:
healy100 said:
Putting the negative experience at Wilsonville Nissan to the side how do you like your new LEAF?
Well, I didn't get to drive it much today since I was at the Expo Center all day for the Better Living Show (talking about electric cars, of course), so my wife got to hot rod around town without me and she said it was a lot of fun.

Tomorrow we get to do our regular weekend duties like grocery shopping and grabbing the mail at the P.O. box, so it will be the start of some regular usage.

In other news, the Blink charged the car without any issues last night and is currently charging the car. Hopefully I don't experience the same lockup issues some others have ran into...
darkstar will you be using your car for highway driving, in town driving or a combination of both? How many miles a day do you expect you'll drive? I'm interested to see what ranges you are getting in town at lower speeds stop and go since thats how I will be using my car. I only drive 15 to 20 miles a day usually on secondary roads like Beaverton Hillsdale and Hall blvd and I plan to hyper mile them all. My goal is to get an average range of 100 miles and to charge every 3 days. Not sure this is a realistic goal though.

healy100 said:
darkstar will you be using your car for highway driving, in town driving or a combination of both? How many miles a day do you expect you'll drive? I'm interested to see what ranges you are getting in town at lower speeds stop and go since thats how I will be using my car. I only drive 15 to 20 miles a day usually on secondary roads like Beaverton Hillsdale and Hall blvd and I plan to hyper mile them all. My goal is to get an average range of 100 miles and to charge every 3 days. Not sure this is a realistic goal though.
This will be my daily driver to/from work, about 50 miles per day. We live in Hillsboro and I work in West Linn, so I'll be primarily be driving rush-hour traffic (average 30-45 mph) with weekend errands for grocery shopping and whatnot here in the Hillsboro/Beaverton area.

I have limited experience with hybrid driving, so learning to hypermile will be something new to me, but I'm already a lot better about going the speed limit instead of 5-10 mph over. :)

Otherwise, I'll be attending local events for the OEVA and probably a couple of big weekend trips this summer.

Darkstar,
Welcome to Oregon's Leaf owners crowd. Well, we're not a crowd yet but we are growing. 50 miles a day on slower roads is the perfect scenario for the leaf.
My commute is 20 miles round trip but I still charge up to 80% each night because I never know how many "errand" miles I may need and when. Although, in the last month I tended to stay home after work. We usually plan our errands in big loops on days off to save gas. A habit we will continue to save e-fuel. :)

DarkStar said:
healy100 said:
This will be my daily driver to/from work, about 50 miles per day. We live in Hillsboro and I work in West Linn, so I'll be primarily be driving rush-hour traffic (average 30-45 mph) with weekend errands for grocery shopping and whatnot here in the Hillsboro/Beaverton area.

I have limited experience with hybrid driving, so learning to hypermile will be something new to me, but I'm already a lot better about going the speed limit instead of 5-10 mph over. :)

Otherwise, I'll be attending local events for the OEVA and probably a couple of big weekend trips this summer.
I've been a bit of a hyper miler since gas prices have gone up so dramatically but I still have a lot of tricks to learn. Your daily drive sounds ideal for a LEAF. The stop and go on I5 and 205 should offer a lot of regen opportunities and the freeways are relatively flat so shouldn't be a big energy drainer. I suspect you'll be averaging a range of 75 to 80 miles if not more.

Eco-models Show Eco-rides in Portland
Nissan Leaf, Ford Electric Focus and more Link
LeafEcoModels.jpg

I went to the show to see the Focus next to the LEAF. The Focus is pleasing to the eye inside & out. There is almost no trunk area due to batteries taking up room there. The leg room in the back seats also seemed much smaller than the LEAF.

Has anyone taken the trip from Portland to Corvallis/Eugene and back? I wonder if I can just go Nissan dealership-hopping. I'll have to try this when I get my Leaf next week!

My week of April 29 delivery date was just moved to week of May 6th. I need to learn to ignore my account and just wait for the dealer to call. It gets frustrating.

intrepion said:
Has anyone taken the trip from Portland to Corvallis/Eugene and back? I wonder if I can just go Nissan dealership-hopping. I'll have to try this when I get my Leaf next week!
Thats a brave journey and a long one. I wont be doing it until there are fast charge stations every 50 miles along I5. Until the LEAF has a real range of 100 miles or more and by that I mean a full 100 miles at freeway speeds in any weather conditions I'm going to be hesitant to do any long freeway drives. I'm hoping as more EV's are sold battery pack costs come down to the point cars can be fitted with much larger packs maybe in the 35 to 45 kwh range and still remain cost competitive. This would really encourage mass adoption too.

healy100 said:
intrepion said:
Thats a brave journey and a long one.
I'm going to try it as soon as a couple of L3 stations open. One in Albany would be ideal...

Linn/Benton Community College has a public (charge point) level 2 charger. The campus is not far off I-5, South Albany.

i work for First Alternative Cooperative Grocery and we will have two level 2 chargers installed at both of our sites (1007 SE 3rd, and 29th and Grant, Corvallis) this Summer. The 1007 SE third site could be a good option should you want to take 99 to Eugene.

Scoville Nissan in Corvallis currently has a level 2 charger (AV). i would call first if intending to use.

there are a few Plug Share folks in Corvallis (myself included) as well.

+Jonathan

healy100 said:
My week of April 29 delivery date was just moved to week of May 6th. I need to learn to ignore my account and just wait for the dealer to call. It gets frustrating.

Yes indeed. That's what I learned to do. Now, finally I have a VIN number and the "week of April 15" has remained unchanged for the past week.

A couple of questions for the current PDX leaf owners:

1) Do you remember the odometer reading when you took the delivery?
2) Any issues on obtaining insurance for the LEAF?

Thanks!

greenwayleaf said:

Our car had 5 miles on it at delivery.

My sister is an insurance broker in Vancouver and had no issues at all getting quotes for the LEAF. Feel free to contact her and get a quote yourself as she has access to quite a few different insurance companies and can handle everything over the phone and email:

Bonnie Arnesen - [email protected]
Gelfand Insurance - http://gelfandinsurance.com/
9013 NE Hwy 99, Suite A
Vancouver, WA 98665
(360) 882-0619

I've not post for a while with nothing happening, felt like I was in limbo.

But, the charger showed up today :)

So how do I check on the car? Will the Nissan site have anything? Carwings related?
Or is the dealer the best bet?

greenwayleaf said:

Thanks!

1) 12 miles when I picked it up
2) Yeah, Farmers couldn't quote me a solid rate as they didn't have it in their system. After a few years of fairly poor service from them it was the final straw, and I am solid AAA now. Farmers lost 2 autos, 2 houses and an umbrella policy by farting around...
:p

solardude said:
Linn/Benton Community College has a public (charge point) level 2 charger. The campus is not far off I-5, South Albany.

i work for First Alternative Cooperative Grocery and we will have two level 2 chargers installed at both of our sites (1007 SE 3rd, and 29th and Grant, Corvallis) this Summer. The 1007 SE third site could be a good option should you want to take 99 to Eugene.

Scoville Nissan in Corvallis currently has a level 2 charger (AV). i would call first if intending to use.

+Jonathan
Thank you for that information Solardude. I may get the nerve to try a long distance drive to the Corvallis area now that I know there are recharge stations there and in Albany. very good to know we can expand our driving ranges passed the Portland metro area.

healy100 said:
solardude said:

+Jonathan
Thank you for that information Solardude. I may get the nerve to try a long distance drive to the Corvallis area now that I know there are recharge stations there and in Albany. very good to know we can expand our driving ranges passed the Portland metro area.

Only L2 charging? That doesn't bode well. So if I can get 73 miles (according to the EPA) then wouldn't I have to L2 charge for 3 hours to make it the extra 30 miles to Corvallis? Guess I'll have to wait until the CHAdeMo (L3 charging stations) are more prevalent.

Well it looks like my 7-day email was a glitch. I would have had it last Friday if not.

I don't remember who asked, but yes, my salesperson at Royal Moore is Dave von Tersch. Great guy. We went in to meet him a couple weeks back to talk about financing.

I am hoping to see my car sometime this week. Thankfully I have the world's greatest boss, so if Dave calls me at 2pm during my workday, I will be picking up the Leaf. :D

I'd like to make the trip to Eugene as well. I have a bunch of friends there who would love to see the Leaf. They'll have to get in line for a test drive behind my mom and dad, though. Mom's been going nuts telling her friends about my new purchase.

Darkstar, PDXLeafer,

Thanks to both of you for the response to my question. I'm feeling optimistic about April 15 delivery date, since it hasn't changed for more than a week. Anxious to get the call from the dealer (Hillsboro)!

Well, I got bumped back another week. Now I'm showing Week of April 14th.

Has anyone seen this? I'm not sure I'm OK with it. With the tiny number of cars on the road in Oregon and everywhere else it seems a little extreme.

http://nissan-leaf.net/2011/04/02/oregon-considers-per-mile-tax-for-electric-vehicles/101122_nissan_leaf/

Back