Poll : Your Battery Status

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the capacity status of your Leaf's battery ?

• Under 10k miles - 12 bars

Votes: 68 36.2%
  • Under 10k miles - less than 12 bars

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Between 10k-20k miles - 12 bars

Votes: 70 37.2%
  • Between 10k-20k miles - less than 12 bars

Votes: 14 7.4%
  • Over 20k miles - 12 bars

Votes: 23 12.2%
  • Over 20k miles - less than 12 bars

Votes: 10 5.3%

• Total voters
derkraut said:
spike09 said:
I encourage everyone to post their months of ownership, total miles and number of capacity bars info into their forum signature. And aso their location and VIN in their forum profile.

There is a 255 character limit. Average KWH per mile, owned or leased, solar or grid powered, L1 or L2 charger, 80% or 100% max rate are alll relevant to the conversation.

Why? :?: :?: :?: :?: Whose business is that other than my own?
I did not mean to offend those who value personal freedom over the greater good. I am not trying to be Big Brother. If you do not want to post your LEAF credentials please ignore my post.

I, for one, would like a little context when some one posts an opinion about the LEAF, especially regarding battery capacity loss. At a minimum; do they own a LEAF, what part of the country do they live in and do they still have 12 bars?

This forum is the main source of information not just for us forum members but for the media at large. Some jounalists are more responsible than others. Misleading posts, quotes taken out of context, incorrect facts are some of what I have seen. It will only get worse as the battery capacity issue reaches a more widespread audience.

spike09 said:
I encourage everyone to post their months of ownership, total miles and number of capacity bars info into their forum signature. And aso their location and VIN in their forum profile.

There is a 255 character limit. Average KWH per mile, owned or leased, solar or grid powered, L1 or L2 charger, 80% or 100% max rate are alll relevant to the conversation.
When I joined this forum I noticed there were members who used their LEAF signature to display their reservation date, order date and finally the delivery date of their LEAF. Some signatures got more elaborate as time went by, adding info like what else you drive and if you are a Zero emission driver by charging with Solar Energy.

We have now come to a point in time where I encourage those with a signature to add their months of ownership, lease vs own, total miles driven, Overall miles/kWh (from CarWings), and number of capacity bars. And for those who do not know you can add your location and VIN into your forum profile.

L1 or L2 charger, 80% or 100% are but a few other details to include if you choose. Have fun with the 255 character limit! :geek:

If you would rather not reveal anything about yourself to the forum with your signature, please ignore this post.

I made an attempt to quantify the poll with a single number that represents this sampling as a group:

Weightage for no bar losers for < 10K miles = +1
Weightage for no bar losers between 10K and 20K= +2
Weightage for no bar losers between 20K and 30K= +3

Similarly negative values of -1, -2 and -3 for less than 12 bars depending on the mileage.

If everyone had all 12 bars (best case scenerio), then the value would be +168
If everyone had lost atleast one bar (worst case scenerio), then the value would be -168

The value for this group of 95 pollsters at this time comes to +96. That is at 79%, where 100% represents the best case scenerio with no loss for anyone, and 0% represents the worst case of atleast one bar loss for everyone.

In fact if we could get the current mileage then a much more accurate value can be attained.

spike09 said:
spike09 said:

When I joined this forum I noticed there were some members who were using their LEAF signature to display when they reserved, ordered and finally got their LEAF delivered. As time went by some added more details regarding their LEAF, such as what else they drive and if they were charging on Solar Energy.

We have now come to a point in time where I encourage those who do this to add their months of ownership, lease vs own, total miles driven, Overall miles/kWh (from CarWings), and number of capacity bars into their forum signature. Did you know you can add your location and VIN into your forum profile?

L1 or L2 charger, 80% or 100% are a few other details to include if you choose. Have fun with the 255 character limit!

i understand your concern about posting degradation information but i use my signature to post what i deem to be most important. now, if they allowed more characters (i am at the limit if you are wondering) then i might do as you suggest. maybe i am lucky. maybe i am a realist or maybe i am prepared to accept the inevitable (i am sure its a combination of these) but my signature will not change

DaveinOlyWA said:
spike09 said:
spike09 said:

When I joined this forum I noticed there were some members who were using their LEAF signature to display when they reserved, ordered and finally got their LEAF delivered. As time went by some added more details regarding their LEAF, such as what else they drive and if they were charging on Solar Energy.

We have now come to a point in time where I encourage those who do this to add their months of ownership, lease vs own, total miles driven, Overall miles/kWh (from CarWings), and number of capacity bars into their forum signature. Did you know you can add your location and VIN into your forum profile?

L1 or L2 charger, 80% or 100% are a few other details to include if you choose. Have fun with the 255 character limit!

i understand your concern about posting degradation information but i use my signature to post what i deem to be most important. now, if they allowed more characters (i am at the limit if you are wondering) then i might do as you suggest. maybe i am lucky. maybe i am a realist or maybe i am prepared to accept the inevitable (i am sure its a combination of these) but my signature will not change
It is not my intention to force anyone to change their signature. I was able to format my signature to include everything I deem important within the 255 character limit (which amazingly included all of the above). I would prefer to have all this data integrated into our forum profile where we could set privacy setting yet make the data available anonymously.

garygid said:
This poll is at best poorly worded, at worst a bit misleading.
However, the car does not give us much to judge capacity.
Many of us are experiencing reduced range.
I want to first get a baseline using the most broad and readily available parameters.

In subsequent polls, we can get more details.

evnow said:
garygid said:
This poll is at best poorly worded, at worst a bit misleading.
However, the car does not give us much to judge capacity.
Many of us are experiencing reduced range.
I want to first get a baseline using the most broad and readily available parameters.

In subsequent polls, we can get more details.

bars are really the only "seemingly" consistent measurement we have. not all have your SOC meter Gary so if not asking for bars, what would we get?

a whole bunch of wild "seat of the pants" estimates and rants.
i agree that the 15% loss required to lose a bar makes the bar loss issue almost useless, but what other choice do we have?

We need a grid survey.

0 to 5 bars lost horizontal, 1 bar increments
0 to 40,000 miles vertical, 2,500 mile increments
Add a third dimension with climate zones if you dare ;)

Using that simplistic algorithm with the weightages I had mentioned earlier:

The current value of this group of 113 samples is at 123, with a maximum possible value of + or -197. So that is at 81 percentile.
(for example a 50th percentile would mean we have roughly have half that have lost bars and the other half have not).

mkjayakumar said:
Using that simplistic algorithm with the weightages I had mentioned earlier:

The current value of this group of 113 samples is at 123, with a maximum possible value of + or -197. So that is at 81 percentile.
(for example a 50th percentile would mean we have roughly have half that have lost bars and the other half have not).
Where does the 81 percentile come from? I don't follow. The rest is clear to me.

Definitely need more granularity.. I'm at 235 GIDs & 12 bars, 18 months, 19,000 miles... so I just helped the majority (though I'm on the verge of slipping out of the majority in both mileage and bars...)

Where does the 81 percentile come from? I don't follow. The rest is clear to me.

If the range of possible values is between -197 to +197, then a reading of 123 is at 81%. In other words,

- a reading of -197 will be at 0% (everyone having a bar loss)
- a reading of +197 will be at 100% (no one having a bar loss)
- a reading of 0 will be at 50%

and so on..

These measures become meaningful and useful only the dataset is large, and more granular. Imagine if you had 1000 entries, and many more granularities such less then 5k miles, between 5K & 10K miles, 10K to 15K miles, and so on.. And also in addtion you collect information if it is a 1 bar or 2 bar or 3 bar loser etc.. and provide wieigtage for them, then this index is a fair representation of your sample data.

Becky50 said:
How many LEAF owners/leasees are members of this forum? I was expecting a far greater response to this poll.

way more than 144 that is for sure. the Poll should be stickied so it can be seen easier. i "might" recommend a pop up for anyone who has not voted on the poll yet but that might be seen as rude. for me; i think its a valuable poll to answer

In fact if we could capture their geographical area we can get the relative degradation index of each area compared to the whole group. The group as a whole is at a degradation index of 85 at this time.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Becky50 said:
How many LEAF owners/leasees are members of this forum? I was expecting a far greater response to this poll.

way more than 144 that is for sure. the Poll should be stickied so it can be seen easier. i "might" recommend a pop up for anyone who has not voted on the poll yet but that might be seen as rude. for me; i think its a valuable poll to answer

wouldn't work unless they added an option for not owning one yet.

mkjayakumar said:
In fact if we could capture their geographical area we can get the relative degradation index of each area compared to the whole group. The group as a whole is at a degradation index of 85 at this time.

If only people had a way to add their location to their profiles... and then actually did it.

Back