Poll: Which PHEV or Extended Range is best Leaf companion?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which PHEV or Extended Range is best Leaf companion for you ?

• Ford C-Max Energi

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Ford Fusion Energi

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Honda Accord Plugin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Toyota Prius Plugin

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Chevrolet Volt

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • Waiting for Outlander PHEV, etc

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • None of the above

Votes: 14 26.9%

• Total voters

Deleted member 1622

Hello -
I'd like to start a poll (so I'm asking a site administrator to re-post this question as a poll, please, since I can't) about the 2013 plugin car that will be the best companion to the Leaf.

I would like to limit options to only plugin cars that have an equal range as an ICE... I know this will disappoint all those who have fantasies of a Tesla or a Cadillac or one of the $60K-plus long-range electrics, but let's keep it in the realm of possibility for us middle class folks, eh? It seems reasonable that in the next 20 years, as the all-electric market grows, a parallel plugin market will grow for EV drivers who still need long-range capability but have vowed to never buy another ICE.

"If you had to buy a second plugin car that was NOT an all-electric, which one would you choose?"

Ford C-Max Energi
Ford Fusion Energi
Honda Accord Plugin
Toyota Prius Plugin
Chevrolet Volt

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to hearing why people prefer one over another... do you go for large battery on the electric side (Volt), or better gas mileage on the hybrid side (Prius)? Which of these cars handles the best? Personal experiences with these vehicles are welcome.

I'd vote Volt. It has some track record and looks like a solid car. As much as I have liked my Priuses, I just can't get behind the PIP. Too little EV range.

Gas mileage is what it boils down to for me... if we're driving our electrics for the sake of saving gas, then the Leaf's companion car should save the most gas. The Volt doesn't match up as well as the Prius on this score:
From Fueleconomy.gov

Volt: 35 City, 41 Hwy
Prius: 51 City, 49 Hwy
Cmax Energi: 44 City, 41 Hwy
Fusion Energi: 44 City, 41 Hwy
Accord Plugin: 47 City, 46 Hwy

I'm liking the Accord as maybe more powerful than Prius (with a few extra electric miles), but still having a stellar after-electric gas mileage.

JG

Sounds like the question is phrased so that the Volt is the only choice.

The Volt primarily seems like a high mileage ICE. As an ICE, I'd prefer a Cruze diesel or Golf TDI. I've had 54mpg in my 2002 VW Golf. I've heard early reports the Cruze diesel can achieve similar results. Low end torque from a EV or diesel is addictive.

For an EREV the BMW i3 sounds interesting. Its mostly a BEV with a range extender for emergencies.

Meanwhile, the way Tesla is rolling out supercharger stations and has battery swapping, I think the Model S or X or Gen III might be a real possibility in a year or two. The main issue is how expensive it is and that the stations are just rolling out now.

Actually, since it has an electric only range that greatly exceeds any of the other vehicles and will allow many to drive without using an ICE for most of their travel, it easily wins on saving gas over any of the others for many.

barsad22 said:
Gas mileage is what it boils down to for me... if we're driving our electrics for the sake of saving gas, then the Leaf's companion car should save the most gas. The Volt doesn't match up as well as the Prius on this score.

barsad22 said:
I'm liking the Accord as maybe more powerful than Prius (with a few extra electric miles), but still having a stellar after-electric gas mileage.

Have you checked out the Accord Plug in? The batteries take up 1/2 the trunk space of the ICE version.

barsad22 said:
..."If you had to buy a second plugin car that was NOT an all-electric, which one would you choose?"
We ended up with the C-Max Energi for Mrs Jidosha. Had been waiting to hear about Voltek SUV (MPV5), or Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, but couldn't wait another year or two to replace Murano.

Ford C-Max Energi - "Goldilocks". Just right range, performance, space, utility
Ford Fusion Energi - Sedan
Honda Accord Plugin - Sedan

Toyota Prius Plugin - 12 mile/62mph EV is not enough

Chevrolet Volt - too small

C-Max does all weekly commuting on EV only. Haven’t bought gas since May.

When I got a quote on a cmax energi lease the guy might as well have said "we aren't serious about this car you should go get a volt"

As for the Volt just being a high efficiency ICE, the way things are going our Leaf may have less EV range than our Volt by the time we turn it in.

I get that the Volt's all-electric range beats all the others... but if I think about what I would actually use the Volt for if it was the 2nd car to the Leaf, it would not be for my around-town driving (I would use the Leaf for that). The trips I would take with it would almost all be long-range or road trips... so the gas mileage post-electric range does become an issue. But yes, 25 more miles electric each day (compared to the other plug-ins) is tempting.
I limited the discussion to the cars that are under $50K, as I mentioned before, because I think those are the most within reach for the average consumer.
TomT said:
Actually, since it has an electric only range that greatly exceeds any of the other vehicles and will allow many to drive without using an ICE for most of their travel, it easily wins on saving gas over any of the others for many.

barsad22 said:
Gas mileage is what it boils down to for me... if we're driving our electrics for the sake of saving gas, then the Leaf's companion car should save the most gas. The Volt doesn't match up as well as the Prius on this score.

barsad22 said:
I get that the Volt's all-electric range beats all the others... but if I think about what I would actually use the Volt for if it was the 2nd car to the Leaf, it would not be for my around-town driving (I would use the Leaf for that). The trips I would take with it would almost all be long-range or road trips... so the gas mileage post-electric range does become an issue. ...
If it's all long haul driving, then why get a PHEV at all? Just get a Prius and be done with it. But if you're like my family, that "2nd" car is one person's daily driver, or is the utility car used when car #1 is busy and will see plenty of around town miles.

My 2007 prius. Can't beat it. Considered everything mentioned, but there was never a practical case for buying.

I would like to see a prius V phev20 though....

Right now the Volt wins hands down in nearly every category, including price. However, this will eventually change when the tax credits go away. The C-Max Energi is a lower price option, but because it has a smaller battery it ends up being more expensive when factoring in tax credits.

My wife and I bought a Ford CMax Energi over Ford Fusion Energi, Prius Plugin, and Chevy Volt. We needed a car that can go long distance and carry our stuff on weekends, use electric for my wife's 12 mile commute to work, and green sticker for my longer commute if needed. Prius was short on electric and too loud. Fusion's trunk is too small. Volt is too tight and trunk is too small.

I voted None of the Above. We'll keep driving the 2007 Prius until there's a compelling case to replace it with a PHEV. I want one with the AER of a Volt, gas mpg of 45 combined, performance at least as good as LEAF, space for five humans, decent cargo space and good visibility. Sporty handling would seal the deal. I have my eye on Audi A3 PHEV or BMW Active Tourer. Both may be here in a couple of years.

If the Prius dies while I'm waiting, the Volt or the CMax Energi would be candidates.

Back