Poll : Are you having problems with your Blink EVSE ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you having problems with your Blink EVSE ?

• No problems at all !

Votes: 23 25.0%
  • Minor problems

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Wi-Fi connection problems

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • Crashes - does not affect charging

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Crashes - affects charging

Votes: 24 26.1%
  • Others

Votes: 10 10.9%

• Total voters
My blink "sees" my home network but can't connect. When I check my wireless router firewall log I see the following message everytime I've tried to connect to the network:

=>Found attack from 222.187.221.224.
Source port is 12200 and destination port is 9415 which use the TCP protocol.

Is this a firewall issue or a blink issue. I've never experienced this problem with my wireless home network and I have a lot of hardware connected to it.

Also I get the occasional error message on the blink screen but it does not seem to effect charging.

BC3 said:
My blink "sees" my home network but can't connect. When I check my wireless router firewall log I see the following message everytime I've tried to connect to the network:

Is this a firewall issue or a blink issue. I've never experienced this problem with my wireless home network and I have a lot of hardware connected to it.

Also I get the occasional error message on the blink screen but it does not seem to effect charging.
A number of people have had to disable their firewalls because, apparently, Blink's regular comms looks like an attack. :roll: If the Blink can't talk to the mothership, you will eventually get a email from the EV Project asking you to get it online.

IF THIS WAS A CARWINGS-ORIGINATED MESSAGE ...
it looks like you just need to set your router to Port-Forward the inound message (to port 9415) to the same port on your Blink's LAN IP address.

HOWEVER, an noted below, the message source is SUSPECT!

A quick IP lookup produced these results:

% [whois.apnic.net node-1]
% Whois data copyright terms http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html

inetnum: 222.184.0.0 - 222.191.255.255
netname: CHINANET-JS
descr: CHINANET jiangsu province network
descr: China Telecom
descr: A12,Xin-Jie-Kou-Wai Street
descr: Beijing 100088
admin-c: CH93-AP
tech-c: CJ186-AP
mnt-by: APNIC-HM
mnt-lower: MAINT-CHINANET-JS
mnt-routes: MAINT-CHINANET-JS
remarks: This object can only modify by APNIC hostmaster
remarks: If you wish to modify this object details please
remarks: send email to [Email Removed] with your
remarks: organisation account name in the subject line.
changed: [Email Removed] 20040223
source: APNIC

role: CHINANET JIANGSU
address: 260 Zhongyang Road,Nanjing 210037
phone: +86-25-86588231.+86-25-86588745
fax-no: +86-25-86588104
e-mail: [Email Removed]
trouble: send anti-spam reports to [Email Removed]
trouble: send abuse reports to [Email Removed]
trouble: times in GMT+8
admin-c: CH360-AP
tech-c: CS306-AP
tech-c: CN142-AP
nic-hdl: CJ186-AP
remarks: www.jsinfo.net
notify: [Email Removed]
mnt-by: MAINT-CHINANET-JS
changed: [Email Removed] 20090831
changed: [Email Removed] 20090831
changed: [Email Removed] 20090901

person: Chinanet Hostmaster
nic-hdl: CH93-AP
e-mail: [Email Removed]
address: No.31 ,jingrong street,beijing
address: 100032
phone: +86-10-58501724
fax-no: +86-10-58501724
changed: [Email Removed] 20070416
mnt-by: MAINT-CHINANET

Possibly a port/packet sniffer program, looking for network vulnerabilities .. pretty common attack from China.
Maybe a good reason to have a properly configured firewall.

I don't have an answer for that, as I don't have full access to carwings yet.

I know you can assign your EVSE to have a particular address on your home network.

As for network security, I will defer to other forum members who have far more experience than I.

I suppose it is possible that Carwings/Blink has outsourced their servers.
In the absense of more info, I can't comment further.

BC3 said:

Is this a firewall issue or a blink issue?

With that IP address, NEITHER! This is NOT a Blink address, it is NOT affiliated with Blink, and should NOT be explicitly unblocked.

Your Blink can't connect right now because the Blink Network is currently down per an email I received a short time ago from their support people.

I agree that the IP lookup produced some very suspicious results.
Generally a valid website/company does not make an effort to mask their email address.

I'm planning to configure my WAP with a guest network and have the Blink connect to that with a static IP. This limits the Blink to internet-only access - it won't be able to see my other devices, and may make it easier to open up a firewall port if that's what is needed for my router to let it through.

It has to be from the blink. It logged an attack each time I tried to connect blink to the network. I tried over a dozen times and each instance logged an "attack" on my firewall log. I looked at the log history and I've never had a prior "attack".

I'm going to try to power down the blink and try to connect again. If that doesn't work, I'll try to disable my firewall. I've read another forum user had to result to a Wi Fi network adapter.

It's too bad that ECOtality is sending electricians to install a networked device and expecting them to connect with users home networks. My installers did an awesome job doing what they are trained to do (hook up electicity) and then spent several hours tying to get it connected to my network. I'm not sure the EV Project is ready for prime time.

garygid said:
Looks like you just need to set your router to Port-Forward the inound message (to port 9415) to the same port on your Blink's LAN IP address.

garygid - if there is an easy way to simplify your recommended solution, I'd love to try it. Unfortunately my networking skills are rather limited but I do know how to access my router and get to the firewall and various settings. I'm sure my issue has to do with my Belkin router not liking my blink (how's that for technical troubleshooting?).

BC3 said:
It has to be from the blink. It logged an attack each time I tried to connect blink to the network. I tried over a dozen times and each instance logged an "attack" on my firewall log. I looked at the log history and I've never had a prior "attack".
Well, then I guess your Blink is different from mine... I don't show any traffic to/from that IP address.

if the IP address was generated inside your home network it will typically be a 192.168.xxx.xxx address.

I just talked to blink customer service about my issue with the blink unit not connecting to my home network and they were very helpful. The rep took down all my information and performed as much diagnostics work as possible given the data that he could collect from my EVSE. He seemed very knowledgeable and willing to help resolve the issue. Right now he’s working with a network technician to troubleshoot and is planning to call me at home to help get my unit connected to my home network.

The call center is located on the east coast so I asked him if they would be around later tonight since I won’t be home until later and I’m on the west coast. His response was, “Oh yeah, we’re 24/7. You’re in good hands.”

So far my first impressions with blink customer service are positive.

For those having constant problems with the wireless connection, or those who have had to disable their security and who aren't comfortable with having done that, you can run a wired connection. Running CAT may not be be practical but you can get a couple of powerline adapters for less than $80 for the pair which should completely solve all the connection issues.

Just a thought. I haven't had any problems at all with the Blink charger but I've used a wired connection. Just for kicks last night I tried using the wireless connection and the Blink couldn't find the wireless network even though the wireless router was only about twenty feet away. I didn't try very hard to make the connection but that seems very problematic.

i had minimal problems with wireless once I got connected and upgraded my router software.

but I had already put in motion a hardwire fix so I did an ethernet connection and the thing is flawless. even turning it on, it goes through all the procedures itself and connects.
(of course, I dont have the car--so who knows about charging.)

my only issue is the time difference between the blink unit and the intranet time. the intranet time is one hour slower.

All settings are manual, including DST.
The time on the Blink is 6:59.
the time on the intranet is 7:59.
I can adjust the intranet time to the correct time, which is 6:59
but then the Blink will move to 5:59.
When I got it, it was set to Arizona time. Is that the solution?

SanDust said:
For those having constant problems with the wireless connection, or those who have had to disable their security and who aren't comfortable with having done that, you can run a wired connection. Running CAT may not be be practical but you can get a couple of powerline adapters for less than $80 for the pair which should completely solve all the connection issues.

Just a thought. I haven't had any problems at all with the Blink charger but I've used a wired connection. Just for kicks last night I tried using the wireless connection and the Blink couldn't find the wireless network even though the wireless router was only about twenty feet away. I didn't try very hard to make the connection but that seems very problematic.
I've had an ethernet cable hooked up for a few days now and the Blink has been performing a lot better. My only issue is that since my Blink is mounted in a carport, I had to run the cable out of a utility room window, also leaving an unsecured network connection that anyone can just unplug and plug into. Even with a Powerline adapter, it doesn't take care of the security aspect, plus the cost of installing a 120 volt power outlet next to the Blink...

In our case, the diagnostic tests always show that the WiFi signal is strong and the IP address was successfully acquired, but that the LAN is not accessible and DNS Name resolution failed. I talked to tech support for about an hour the other day and managed to stump the panel. The guy I talked to was nice enough, but when he said that he would push my issue ticket up the chain to someone with even more expertise and told me to expect a call "very soon," I was under the impression that the call would come in the same day. It has now been four days with no contact, and I am trying to figure things out for myself in the meantime. I can't find any firewall issues, and every other WiFi device connects just fine (one Wii, two iPod Touches, and a netbook.) Does anybody have an idea why Blink alone won't connect? The signal and IP address assignment work fine, so I can't understand why the DNS acquisition wouldn't work as well. :?

Back