Poll : Are you having problems with your Blink EVSE ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you having problems with your Blink EVSE ?

• No problems at all !

Votes: 23 25.0%
  • Minor problems

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Wi-Fi connection problems

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • Crashes - does not affect charging

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Crashes - affects charging

Votes: 24 26.1%
  • Others

Votes: 10 10.9%

• Total voters
Hello,
My blink wouldn't upgrade either, it got caught in a loop continuously downloading and failing to install the update. I called them and Shawn (the quite knowledgeable tech) did it manually / remotely through my Mac. It took several tries / power cycles before it would initiate.

Check your log at settings > device info > view system log to see what activity it lists. Power cycling may help.

All that being said, it still crashed this morning (post update) with an error 502. :?

I got the download, but I have this issue with the new unit put in three weeks ago: it records only duration of charge and start/stop times; there is NO data for kWh charged and no data for cost.
the most annoying thing is the NO kWh data. This is true for unit, intranet and internet site.

Does anyone else have this issue?
all help appreciated.

thankyouOB said:
I got the download, but I have this issue with the new unit put in three weeks ago: it records only duration of charge and start/stop times; there is NO data for kWh charged and no data for cost.
the most annoying thing is the NO kWh data. This is true for unit, intranet and internet site.

Does anyone else have this issue?
all help appreciated.
I'd report the problem. It sounds like a hardware fault to me.

thanks, Dave.
I did report it and they said wait for 1.7 and see if it fixes it.

It didnt. So I am back reporting it.
I think you are right about what is wrong here. The unit is f'ed up.

Hello,
My unit fails to report sometimes, and other times it has date / time info but no kWh. Sometimes it's my unit's fault with a core failure exception like "502" or "10." The 10 code is something to do with user time offset. It can also fail to report because the data transmission is corrupted or not received back east. Basically if they are doing maintenance, the data goes off into bit heaven. At all times, however, the data is on the screen it's only the reporting that's hinky.

Hello Blinkers,
Ecotality came out (8/22) and replaced my SD card (ver 1.6) for the second time. My blink downloaded the 1.7 update over and over for more than a day then suddenly it recognized the file and it updated at 7:08 PM today 8/23. :roll: It did not report the first charge event after the SD card swap. And so it continues............

It's now 8/24 8:41 PM and my blink has been crashing with core failures (error 10) repeatedly and continued to download the 1.7 upgrade even though it was already at 1.7. Then today it actually upgraded again then continued the error 10 crashes. :shock:

After days of downloading but not installing the 1.7 upgrade Ecotality tried to remotely upgrade my firmware without success today. The install kept reporting it was an incorrect file. The tech said they would run the upgrade program on their unit and call me back. That was about five hours ago.

Why don't they let us download and run the firmware upgrade ourselves?

That is exactly what I did. I got a copy of the file and did the upgrade myself last week. Easy-peezy!

svBackstreets said:
After days of downloading but not installing the 1.7 upgrade Ecotality tried to remotely upgrade my firmware without success today. The install kept reporting it was an incorrect file. The tech said they would run the upgrade program on their unit and call me back. That was about five hours ago.
Why don't they let us download and run the firmware upgrade ourselves?

I received my Blink EVSE through the EVProject; now I just wish I could send it back. The Wifi never worked, despite a strong signal in my garage by meter and phone. They said the software upgrade would fix it. It didn't. I bought a powerline connector it worked (for two months), before the Blink unit would repeatedly turn off and on. It kept and displayed no data, but still charged. I called and told them. They said they would get back to me (and didn't). I called again, they said they were too busy to fix it, three months went by. Two weeks ago today, it stopped charging completely, just a big dead grey wall wart. They diagnosed it (incorrectly) as being incorrect voltage. A tech came out, couldnt fix it. He noticed I had the old software on a flash card. Of course he couldnt give me the newer software. He said some newer software was going to fix it "in a few weeks or so". That was a week ago. No one has contacted be since. I am stuck charging at 120V. Blink sucks, terrible customer service.

Despite the fact that my WiFi has never worked in the Blink, it defaulted to CDMA and has been working well for several months. They promise the 2.0 upgrade "within a month or so" which they tell me will be downloaded via the CDMA connection (I guess it's not SMS-based, since that would take forever!) The Blink resets about once a week or so, but has never failed to charge the car.

I guess I'm just lucky!

PS: LADWP provisioned a second meter (TOU) but has never installed it ... just put a jumper plate over the box. Since I don't have separate billing for that meter, it's connected to a circuit off the main meter in the household. Ecotality used to call me regularly about the meter and even sent a guy to the house to take pictures of it, but it never happened and eventually they stopped calling me.

As to the question: Define Trouble.

It charges flawlessly.
should trouble include problems Ecotality has in collecting data?
yes, well then i would like to know my monthly usage. it does not report that reliably.

Just wondering, just got my Blink few days ago and it shows "stop charging" (about one hour before the set time and 2 bars below full) was wondering if having Timer set in the car and same one in Blink could create a problem (+ time in the car is not the same in the Blink since I always need to have a clock 10 mn faster than real time in order for me to be on time ... I know weird !) Any suggestion ? Should I get rid of one of the "Timers" ? which one preferably ? Thanks

I don't use the timers, but most people on this forum have advocated using just one time, and most seem to use the car timer, not the Blink timer.

Back