Poll : Are you having problems with your Blink EVSE ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you having problems with your Blink EVSE ?

• No problems at all !

Votes: 23 25.0%
  • Minor problems

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Wi-Fi connection problems

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • Crashes - does not affect charging

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Crashes - affects charging

Votes: 24 26.1%
  • Others

Votes: 10 10.9%

• Total voters
Perhaps a simple ohmmeter test from the vehicle's 1772 connector? It should read quite differently if the leads are reversed to swap the polarity and the diode is good. I'll try it on mine the first chance I get.

davewill said:
fotajoye said:
...if some EVSEs check for +/- 12v and others don't and it only shows up on some EVSEs when the diode is shorted, it could mean that is a weak part in the Leaf and will not show up in their QA processes...
I was actually wondering how a dealer is supposed to diagnose this problem, since their EVSEs don't make the check. It's asking a bit much to have owners swap cars and EVSEs around as things go forward. Hopefully, a test for this becomes part of their standard diagnostic equipment.

Hello,
Just to clarify, The diode does not remove the -12V from the pilot signal. It prevents the load resistors from affecting the -12V side (bottom) of the AC signal. To be precise it removes the -12V from the vehicle side but leaves it intact on the EVSE side.
Pilot signal:
1. +12V DC (J1772 not plugged in)
When plugged in the Leaf sees the +12V DC & Proximity and knows it is plugged in. The resistors pull the pilot down to +9V (via the diode).
The EVSE sees the +9V DC and knows the car/charger is there so it changes the pilot signal to +12V / -12V AC (1kHz) signal with the top half being dropped to +9V via the diode and resistor.
2. +9V / -12V AC (car plugged in but not charging).
The car now switches another resistor in parallel to the first to drop the pilot to +6V.
EVSE sees +6V and closes contactor.
3. +6V / -12V AC (car charging)
If your car has lead acid batteries the pilot signal is dropped even further to +3V
4. +3V / -12V AC (car charging and ventilator fans turned on to prevent hydrogen build up).
When charging is complete the car removes the additional resistors from the circuit and voltage returns to +9V
5 +9V / -12V AC (car plugged in but not charging)

OK, so here is what my Leaf does when plugged in:
1. +12V DC pilot is dropped to +9V
EVSE sees the car and Produces +12V / -12V AC pilot signal.
2. Because the diode is SHORTED the pilot is dropped to +9V / -9V AC via the resistor.
The blink sees this as a damaged cable, nozzle laying in a puddle of water, filled with rain or just plain shorted somehow and will not close the contactor. The blink then returns the signal to +12V DC and restarts the process. Caught in this loop it flashes between the "please plug in your car" and the "not charging" screens producing copious bursts of failed charge events sent to the blink network. Very similar programming loop / logic trap that the WiFi was exhibiting.
The AV and Nissan EVSE's ignore the -9V signal so my car then switches in the second resistor dropping the pilot signal to +6V / -6V AC and charging begins.

On EDIT: It seems the -9V signal is also part of the AC LEVEL 3 charge standard.

So there you have my interpretation of the J1772 L2 standard which like most is not all that standard.

Now I have a vision of the do-it-yourself-ers building an "adapter" cable consisting of a J1772 socket and plug--with a diode inserted in series with the appropriate lead. Just in case they run into this situation :D

So, the sole purpose of the diode is to distinguish between a car and a wet sock? Fairly clever. I guess those of us with the Blink don't have to worry about this one going undetected. Hope you get your car back soon.

Ode To the Diode;
I thought that I would never see
to charge depend on a one-way pea,
Is it there, is it not?
J1772 could be just a plot
to check diodes for pizzle rot

ECOTALITY, INC. - SEC Investigation into Stock Fraud by Ecotality
http://yahoo.brand.edgar-online.com/EFX_dll/EDGARpro.dll?FetchFilingHtmlSection1?SectionID=7558239-129137-132629&SessionID=tPPIHjnBP14lUP7

Hello Blinkers,
I have Nissan and Ecotality / blink people coming to my house next week to explore reasons for the failure. So far they are just retracing my steps to their own satisfaction. Nothing new on the diagnostic front.

pluggingalong said:
ECOTALITY, INC. - SEC Investigation into Stock Fraud by Ecotality
http://yahoo.brand.edgar-online.com/EFX_dll/EDGARpro.dll?FetchFilingHtmlSection1?SectionID=7558239-129137-132629&SessionID=tPPIHjnBP14lUP7

Old news.

This is newer.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/1113...se-in-revenue-for-the-first-quarter-2011.html

ECOtality, Inc. (NASDAQ: ECTY), a leader in clean electric transportation and storage technologies, announced today that it increased revenue by 61 percent, to $4.3 million for the first quarter of 2011 ended March 31, 2011. The company will hold a shareholder update call to discuss the earnings on May 25, 2011 at 4:15 PM EDT.

“The $4.3 million in revenue in the first quarter reflects a stable increase in revenue that is a result of fulfilling our DOE contract and ramping up installations of Blink EV [electric vehicle] charging stations,” stated Jonathan Read, President and CEO of ECOtality. “As we expand our relationships with commercial and retail partners, such as Macy’s, Best Buy and Jones Lang LaSalle, and capitalize on our established strategic relationships with companies such as ABB and Cisco, we are well-positioned to hit our key operational milestones and install approximately 14,000 Blink chargers in 2011 for The EV Project. Public demand for EVs is high and currently outstripping supply, as evident by OEMs announcing an increase in potential buyers, reservations, and vehicle production, in addition to fast-tracked delivery of EVs. We are confident that large-scale EV charging station installations will support greater consumer adoption, and allow this market to reach its full potential.”

Hello Blinkers,
WELL NOW, looks as though Nissan is saying there's nothing wrong with my Leaf, it has to be the EVSE. I spoke with a Nissan "manager" and he did not want to listen to any facts from me, maintaining that premiss. I sure hope there are some engineers at this meeting working on a solution cuz' I won't tolerate a useless finger pointing session for very long.

They don't still have your car, I hope? :eek:

So, dealership has one of the AV "don't care" type stations. I see your problem. And the brick doesn't care either. Nice.

bowthom said:
Hello Blinkers,
WELL NOW, looks as though Nissan is saying there's nothing wrong with my Leaf, it has to be the EVSE.
Most states have lemon laws that kick in when dealers refuse or are unable to fix problems with new cars. If they get really stubborn you may have to contact the state to get Nissan to move on this problem.

Need to add a choice: All of the above.

Mine worked fine for about two weeks, every time I plugged it in, it did what it was supposed to do. Since the new software and I've had to reset three times in three days.

Hello Blinkers,
YES, they still have my car. It's been a week now and this next meeting isn't until Friday so it will go into the week after that before they actually fix anything. I'm leaving on vacation soon so they could end up with my car until the 20th.

My wife says I should have insisted on a loaner car to give them more incentive to get it done.
:shock:

Hello Blinkers,
The meeting went pretty well today. Attending from Blink were 3 guys, 2 local and one engineer from Phoenix. Attending from Nissan, 1 American rep and 2 Japanese engineers. It took about 90 minutes to move the Nissan people from a position of "there is nothing wrong with the Leaf" to one of "we are seeing something wrong and we need to find out why." They asked to keep the car and said they would be in contact. As for the "wonky" dash metrics, the Nissan people consider my data anecdotal and are very skeptical of anything they don't witness themselves. I offered to take them for a drive to show exactly what I am seeing as pictures on my iPhone of dash anomalies and data tracking for months is not enough. They declined and gave no reason but probably a lack of time. I discussed the philosophy of programming and how changing the scaling of the SOC left related displays not scaled properly (complete with pictures of same) but got little traction. He kept repeating the same rhetoric about driving style etc. One thing he did say, "you can't look at the incoming charge data and know how much energy the battery retains." Excuse ME!!! That's the only REAL number I have, it's directly related to cost & range. Does that mean the battery has a random variable hysteresis? I could get no technical info out of them at all.

All in all, a successful meeting considering how disparate the positions were at the beginning.

Bowthom,

I am one of the now TWO customers in TN that are having the same problem as you. I have been in contact with the Ecotality Engineer from Phoenix that visited your house and I have now emailed the Nissan Engineer that visited your house (to no avail). I am not sure where to turn next. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If the other customer in TN with this same problem can contact me maybe we could get some results if we approach Nissan together. I live in Franklin TN.

I have never had any but the most minor of problems with my Blink (it is on WiFi and I use a timer only in the car, set to 80% and for a 24 hour overlap) but as of the version 1.6 firmware even those minor ones have disappeared and it has been rock steady. With the display timeout, etc. that was added, I'm now a completely happy camper.

Jasonpara said:
Bowthom,

I am one of the now TWO customers in TN that are having the same problem as you. I have been in contact with the Ecotality Engineer from Phoenix that visited your house and I have now emailed the Nissan Engineer that visited your house (to no avail). I am not sure where to turn next. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If the other customer in TN with this same problem can contact me maybe we could get some results if we approach Nissan together. I live in Franklin TN.

Sorry to hear that. What are your symptoms? What did blink tell you? Can you still charge with your mini evse?
The engineers at Blink are real helpful, just feed them accurate data and they will help you out. My car is still at the Nissan dealership awaiting parts, they are saying a couple more days (been there 2 weeks so far).

As for the Nissan rep that was here, I wouldn't expect too much from him until they do a postmortem on my charger. They know how it failed but still don't know why. It's the first failure of it's kind so they are being cautious. I will call him tomorrow and see what he says. He denied any knowledge of other Leafs with the same problem when he was at my house. Understand his first priority is management (read spin & damage control).

Lets continue to use carrots instead of clubs, I think we'll get more cooperation that way at least for now. We can always club them later. :lol:

Bowthom,

Thanks for all your help. My sysmtoms are the same as yours. When I plug in the Blink to the car it will cycle between "Ready to Charge" and the "Charging screen". I can charge on 110VAC fine. I have been speaking to the same engineer at Ecotality as you. Can you tell me what dealership your car is at? MAybe with that info my local dealership can contact them and I can take my car in and get it repaired or at least they can order the replacement parts ahead of time.

Bowthom,

Thanks for the dealer name. I have called the Nissan helpline and explained the entire situation and they are supposed to contact the correct people and call me back in a few hours. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Back