Plug In America EV Charging Infrastructure Survey

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomsax

I'm signed up to give a paper at EVS26 on the current state and effectiveness of our nascent electric vehicle charging infrastructure. As part of that study, I would like to survey a bunch of charging sites. I'm hoping Leaf owners can help me survey sites across the country.

To make the survey as easy as possible, I've developed a web-based survey tool that is intended to be used from an Internet-enabled mobile device, like a smartphone or tablet. All that is required is a web browser that supports JavaScript and cookies. I've only tested on iPhone and iPad, so I'll be interested to hear if it works on other devices.

I have built a database of all the non-residential Blink and ChargePoint stations as of last week, and have a map that shows where they are. If I can get even a tenth of these sites surveyed, I'll be very happy. If the study continues, I'll look for a way to import or manually add more sites, but at this stage, the survey is just filling out some simple information about the sites currently in the database, and is limited to Level 2 J1772 stations.

I didn't really intend to create yet another charging station map, but it seemed like the best way to make it easy for participants to locate stations. It's not at all intended to be comprehensive, but it does have a few features I wish the real charging station maps had.

The map and survey tool are explained on the intro page here:

http://www.pluginamerica.org/evi-survey/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When I do the first visit at a site, I pull in and start charging, record the info about the site (Is there a fee for parking? What signage does each station have? Are they wheelchair accessible?), maybe take a photo, and when it's all done I've usually charged for about 10 minutes. When I visit a site that already has the basic info, it takes under a minute to report whether charging is available and check that the other information is still correct.

I've learned lots of interesting things visiting sites for the first time, and finding cool places where stations have been installed. I also find that every site is unique, and sometimes it takes a photo to fully describe some of the cool (and wacky) things I find. The next item on my to-do list is adding the ability to add site photos.

I'm also thinking of having a "hall of fame" and "wall of shame" nomination process, so this could be your chance to get your favorite or most horrible local charging location into the paper.

If you could help, I'd really appreciate it. Building the survey tool took much longer than I expected. I wanted to have it ready to use at the end of December, and now it's mid-February and the paper needs to be submitted at the end of the month. So, if you could enter even a few sites near where you live or work in the next week, I'd be grateful.

You can send in an account request from this page:

http://www.pluginamerica.org/evi-survey/account-request.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll keep working on it even after submitting the paper as I expect there will be enough material for multiple papers and for eventual analysis over time.

Thanks!

I can visit some sites around central/south Orange County, CA. I signed on to the study and was willing to do some visits today, but the PIA site says that it may take 24 hours to get my password email back. So I won't be free to visit the sites til middle of next week, due to other commitments. Sorry there isn't more time to meet your deadline.

I just requested an account as well as I don't mind assisting, but I've found that a lot of this kind of data in my area is available to a certain extent on Plugshare, where the reviews or notes can leave important details about the charging location. Only thing I'd wish they incorporate is an option to filter out restricted charging locations.

I have requested an account and enjoy visiting charge sites, but to state the obvious, why the duplicate effort?

Recargo.com Help tab, Using Recargo Data " Does Recargo have an API or an XML feed? Can I use your data on my website or App?

Well … probably yes, it depends on the project. If you have an interest in building an interface to Recargo, or using our data in some way, we would love to hear about it. We are always looking to spread the EV gospel. Please contact us and we will work something out."

http://www.recargo.com/help/topic/13

The recargo site seems current and accurate with hundreds of timely updates. Any reason not to work together?

I visited four locations and eight charging stations, including three Blinks and five ChargePoints this afternoon in south central Orange County. I went to Ikea and two addresses near South Coast Plaza and then the two stations at Fashion Island in Newport Beach. I'll visit some more for you next week.

I do also wonder why the duplication, though. What does your study show that the existing apps don't?

Randy said:
Why the duplication?

Because everyone wants to be/have the "killer app" that everyone ultimately uses...
It doesn't look to me like Tom intends this to be an ongoing directory, but to exist just for purposes of the survey(s). I do hope he shares collected data with all the directories.

Until very recently there was no widely accessible directory of all chargers. Some were accessible from many devices but covered only one brand of chargers. Some covered all chargers but were accessible on only one brand of device, and therefore only collected new data from users of that device. Since Tom says he started this project several months ago, I'm not surprised if he couldn't find any directory which met his needs. I'm very glad now that most of the directories are moving towards broader coverage of chargers and broader accessibility.

walterbays said:
Randy said:
Why the duplication?

Because everyone wants to be/have the "killer app" that everyone ultimately uses...
It doesn't look to me like Tom intends this to be an ongoing directory, but to exist just for purposes of the survey(s). I do hope he shares collected data with all the directories.

Until very recently there was no widely accessible directory of all chargers. Some were accessible from many devices but covered only one brand of chargers. Some covered all chargers but were accessible on only one brand of device, and therefore only collected new data from users of that device. Since Tom says he started this project several months ago, I'm not surprised if he couldn't find any directory which met his needs. I'm very glad now that most of the directories are moving towards broader coverage of chargers and broader accessibility.

I think you're right, Walter.

BTW, I enjoyed the process. I had created a user account before leaving home and had bookmarked the web page with the map on my iPhone. At the charging stations, I simply opened the map page and pointed to the station where I was plugged in. The survey walked me through the process of filling in the data, mostly through drop-down menus. In the process I had a couple of good conversations with interested and supportive folks who were walking by. The experience reminded me that it would be a good use of time to simply stand out in front of Ikea with my car plugged in and answer questions of passers by as they come and go from the store.

I also took half an hour while I was plugged in at Fashion Island to visit the Tesla store to see if they still had a Model S sedan on the floor. They do indeed have a black one with the upgraded wheels and leather, but lacking the rear jump seats. The car is a static display only, and it doesn't have a motor or battery pack. Still, the lights, dash and touch screen are set up for demonstrations. Pretty impressive, but the details and edges show that it's just a mock-up. I'll be interested to see if Tesla can hit the fit and finish targets set by their main stream competitors in that price range.

Randy said:
Why the duplication?

What I find odd is that we would all really benefit from sharing the basic Charging Station data (location, capabilities, status, etc.) while allowing people to develop great apps and websites and make money from those if desired. This is what the OpenChargeMap database is attempting to do http://openchargemap.org/

I think it's a shame that this project has created yet another Charging Station list (we have well over 100 already), and wish Plug In America were part of the solution not the problem :?

It will be easy to survey all of the public chargers here in Ft.Worth. Here I can do it for you right now:

Number of Public Chargers: 0
Number with designated signs: 0
Number operational: 0
Number under construction: 0
Number with handicapped access: 0

There..nice and easy for you, huh?

Thanks everyone for all of the support! I'm already seeing lots of quality reports coming in, which is awesome. Keep them rolling!

The "24-hour" notice is just because I have to add accounts manually after receiving the request. I just want people to know not to expect an instant response. If I'm away from the computer, it might take several hours before I can add the account and reply, but most of the time I'm responding to requests in less than an hour.

As for "why the duplication", I have a different goal than the charging maps. I want to collect detailed information about select sites, and don't have any intention of building a comprehensive charge map. I just happen to need a map to facilitate the survey.

For the record, I'm a well acquainted with Recargo. I've been using Recargo, adding sites to their database, and recommending them to others, since September, 2010. I met with the Recargo developer last December to discuss this project and see if we could collaborate. Nick was enthusiastic about the project and was interested in helping, but was occupied with the Android app. They have limited resources and a lot on their plate. I'm keeping Recargo in the loop on this project and we may collaborate in the future.

Back in 2010, it was difficult to gather and share charging station info. Recargo was the first map I found that made that possible. Now there are more choices in comprehensive charging maps, but I'm not going to try to list all of them. I only mention Recargo here to address the questions in this thread. I hope lots of charge map and EVSE vendors will also use the results of the survey to improve their product.

tomsax said:
For the record, I'm a huge fan of Recargo. I've been using Recargo, adding sites to their database, and recommending them to others, since September, 2010.
Is it appropriate for Plug In America to make such a statement about a closed and proprietary database?

KevinSharpe said:
tomsax said:
For the record, I'm a huge fan of Recargo. I've been using Recargo, adding sites to their database, and recommending them to others, since September, 2010.
Is it appropriate for Plug In America to make such a statement about a closed and proprietary database?
You're right, I should have been clearer. I'm a fan of Recargo. That's my opinion, not a Plug In America position. I was only speaking to the preceding comments about Recargo.

I'd also be happy to discuss collaborating, in either direction or both, with the Open Charger Map project (http://openchargemap.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

tomsax said:
You're right, I should have been clearer. I'm a fan of Recargo. That's my opinion, not a Plug In America position. I was only speaking to the preceding comments about Recargo.
No problem being a fan but not sure it's acceptable in a thread entitled "Plug In America EV Charging Infrastructure Survey"

KevinSharpe said:
No problem being a fan but not sure it's acceptable in a thread entitled "Plug In America EV Charging Infrastructure Survey"
I was trying to answer this question:

KeiJidosha said:
I have requested an account and enjoy visiting charge sites, but to state the obvious, why the duplicate effort?

Recargo.com Help tab, Using Recargo Data " Does Recargo have an API or an XML feed? Can I use your data on my website or App?

Well … probably yes, it depends on the project. If you have an interest in building an interface to Recargo, or using our data in some way, we would love to hear about it. We are always looking to spread the EV gospel. Please contact us and we will work something out."

http://www.recargo.com/help/topic/13

The recargo site seems current and accurate with hundreds of timely updates. Any reason not to work together?
I started the thread, but don't control where the conversation goes. That said, I would think there are better threads on MNL to discuss the relative merits of different charging station databases and maps.

My survey is not a charging map, it just uses a map to show a select set of charging stations, namely the Blink and ChargePoint networks. It's not a new charging station list, it's just the union of two existing lists that I want to study. I didn't use any of the maps that try to be comprehensive because I'm not aware of any that are suitable for what I'm trying to do. This will become clearer when I publish the results of the study.

Tom,

It looks like any RV park with an available 240 V receptacle is a charge point if you have the right adapter plug. I had my Leaf portable charger modified to accept 240V so with an adapter plug I can charge up at any available RV park.

How is that for a charge point network? You can find RV Park locations on the net and there is probably an App for that as well.

electricfuture said:
Tom,

It looks like any RV park with an available 240 V receptacle is a charge point if you have the right adapter plug. I had my Leaf portable charger modified to accept 240V so with an adapter plug I can charge up at any available RV park.

How is that for a charge point network? You can find RV Park locations on the net and there is probably an App for that as well.
You are correct, I've been charging our Tesla Roadster at RV parks for years. In fact, any boring old 120V outlet can be a charging location. Cathy and I did a 450-mile road trip using just 120V outlets last summer. And there are indeed apps for that.

However, what my study concerns is networked, public, Level 2, J1772 stations in the Blink and ChargePoint networks.

i see the point of excluding other charging stations for just Blink and Chargepoint.

both are networked and send text message status notifications and are also (in this area) the two major players in the EV highway Project. Now if there are more available funding in either project and they are looking usage data for other locations, this could be valuable but pure speculation on my part here.

in any survey, the scope of the survey is usually pretty narrow and usually for very specific reasons. having been involved in focus surveys for all kinds of products i find that the "survey givers" do not provide reasons as to why they are running the surveys other than general BS. in the ones i have taken, i have never been advised of the client for the survey. now some surveys based on what they were about, the client was obvious but sometimes there was a twist.

about 8 or 9 years ago, i was invited to do a survey concerning video game consoles. we were invited up to an office building near Redmond. we were there all day, a full 8 hours. during that time we had small groups of 5-6 people where we just talked about games we played and liked. then we played on Playstation on a few games using different controllers, joysticks, etc.

at the end of the day, we were given $100 and told we would receive stuff in the mail. i was expecting a Playstation something or another. instead we got a coupon for a FREE X-box... go figure!

Back