Please Help - Ran out of juice on hwy - Car will not charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATLGolfer

A Level 3 I was depending on today was apparently removed. As a result, I came up short by 2 miles on my ride home. Retrospect, I should have found the nearest Level 2, but was in a rush to meet someone and thought I could coax my way home.

So ran completely out on the hwy. Tried to get it going and would only go in neutral. I tried to run the heat for a bit but it was blowing cold. Turned off and relied on seat warmers / steerting heat for a bit. I eventually got out after 20 minutes to walk to the next exit for my wife to pick me up. I left it with hazards on.

Tow truck got there and car wouldn't go into neutral. Gave a message something about taking it to dealer. I had it towed home. The way it is situated in my driveway I had to use an extension cord but my indicator on the Panisonic trickle cord shows green "Ready"...not sure the extension cord is the issue.

Any tricks on getting this thing to start accepting a charge? I read to take the negative off the 12v for a minute and then try. I did this. I hear some clicking, but nothing. One of the attemps it chirped once like it used to ...single chirp, not the three it gives when working properly. Green light on dash shows its connected to charger. I try the start button and it doesn't recognize/find the key.

Appreciate any help. Hoping I'm not towing to dealer. 2013 Model. Turtle came on ..the whole deal.

Sounds like the 12V battery needs a boost or charge? If you have a battery charger then charge the 12 volt for a few minutes. Be sure to connect the 12V charger ground to the car/chassis ground and not the battery ground. There is a sensor attached to the 12V battery ground.

Could I give the 12v a boost from my gas battery via jumpers? Sorry if dumb question. Obviously not an electrician. Thank you for the speedy replies. Very helpful.

If I don't have a charger, I need to run to the hardware store and grab one? Any MacGyver type solutions?

Thanks again!!

ATLGolfer said:
Could I give the 12v a boost from my gas battery via jumpers? Sorry if dumb question. Obviously not an electrician. Thank you for the speedy replies. Very helpful.

If I don't have a charger, I need to run to the hardware store and grab one? Any MacGyver type solutions?

Thanks again!!

Yes you can do that.

I've never gone car-to-car with a gasser and the LEAF, but I don't think any special rules apply other than the one you've already been warned about (hooking the ground to vehicle chassis on the LEAF rather than the ground terminal on the battery).

I personally would go buy a cheap battery charger or boost-box. I've had my own charger since I was in my late teens and now have a kick-ass roll-around unit with a 2 amp trickle, 35 amp fast-charge, and 200 amp engine start. I honestly can't imagine any "dude" not having one.

Boom. Worked. Disconnected the LEAF battery from the LEAF before I charged it, and then re-connected.

Got the trickle going. 20 more minutes I'll flip it around so I can get to my 240v.

Thanks everyone. (((group hug)))

smkettner said:
I would plan on replacing the 12 volt battery.

In my short time with my LEAF and all I've read here, I've learned that much like a Prius (or any car that is mostly computer controlled), reliable 12 volt power makes all the difference.

Probably don't need to replace the 12v battery due to just one full discharge... that's a bit extreme. I would consider topping off the 12v with an external charger after you've charged up the car.

mwalsh said:
I've never gone car-to-car with a gasser and the LEAF, but I don't think any special rules apply other than the one you've already been warned about (hooking the ground to vehicle chassis on the LEAF rather than the ground terminal on the battery).

It is in the other direction but I had to jump-start my wife's SUV due to a failing battery from my Leaf during severe cold weather here in SoCal around 32F :) It didn't produce a very happy cranking sound as Leaf's battery is a bit weak to turn a 6 cylinder engine, but the car started fairly quickly and the Leaf then powered up w/o incident. I did go terminal to terminal with Leaf being OFF, which was probably ok for this application. In retrospect I should have probably disconnected Leaf's battery from the car first just to err on the safe side, but no damage was done and happy ending.

JeremyW said:
Probably don't need to replace the 12v battery due to just one full discharge... that's a bit extreme. I would consider topping off the 12v with an external charger after you've charged up the car.

Having owned several Nissans myself, I have noticed that with their OEM batteries, once they become fully discharged they won't hold a charge again.

I would not be surprised if the OP finds himself or herself needing a new 12 volt battery.

Valdemar said:
It is in the other direction but I had to jump-start my wife's SUV due to a failing battery from my Leaf during severe cold weather here in SoCal around 32F :) It didn't produce a very happy cranking sound as Leaf's battery is a bit weak to turn a 6 cylinder engine, but the car started fairly quickly and the Leaf then powered up w/o incident. I did go terminal to terminal with Leaf being OFF, which was probably ok for this application. ...
Do not do that.
Really bad for the poor little LEAF non-starting service battery.

Ingineer provided excellent instructions on how to do this correctly with LEAF in Ready mode using the LEAF DC to DC converter.
See:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6707&hilit=jumping&start=50#p283646" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Follow the instructions.

Lots of good explanation on the previous three or four pages in the thread explaining why this is the correct way to do it.

Thanks, will review, didn't really have the time to do research when I needed to start that car. Glad there were no explosions :)

Back