please help me decide on a Prius plug in or a LEAF...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vajratlr

Not sure if this is the right forum for this topic...
I have a 2010 Prius that the lease is about to expire and would like to lease another car that I can get a CA HOV sticker. I have a 85 mile commute on a typical workday. The Prius plug in lease is in the mid to high 300's with no down. what kinda lease deals can I get on the LEAF? I'm currently paying only 240 after tax/15k for my Prius and I love the low payments.

Things to consider:
I have a 4 month old plus a lab. Lab doesn't usually ride the car too much. can a full size car seat fit in the back no problem with it facing back?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
jk

Unless you have guaranteed access to charging (or at least a 110 outlet to use the level 1 charger that comes with the car) at work, I would go with the Prius...85 is too far for a Leaf - I do 60 miles round-trip and it is just on the edge if I don't charge.

Have you considered a Volt? Better all-electric mode than the Plug-in Prius for about the same cost (if not less) if Leasing...same access to HOV lanes as well.

asinclair said:
Have you considered a Volt?
I'd say get a Volt except I'm not so sure I would put a rear-facing car seat back there. There is glass directly above the rear seat. That was a deal-breaker for us. They do have great lease deals, though.

Welcome to the forum.

Concur that if you settle on a LEAF, you must be able to charge at work.
Where do you live? Figure on decreased performance if you experience low (?) temperatures.
Climate control cabin cooling is quite efficient, not so with heating.

I would say go with the Ford C-MAX Energi over the Plug in Prius.

I recommend the LEAF for anyone who drives less than 40 miles per day.
From 40 to 60 miles, I wouldn't recommend it unless level 1 charging is definitely available at work, just in case it's needed (definitely needed in cold weather states).
From 60 to 80 miles, I wouldn't recommend it unless level 2 charging is definitely available at work.
80+ and I recommend you look for a different car.

There are people that own the LEAF and drive 100+ miles per day (charge at work), but with range degradation with age and temporary range limitations based on factors such as speed and cold, you probably don't want to push the limits.

Good advice from all here. I am one of those drivers who does > 100 miles per day on the one Leaf, while my wife does ~ 30-40 miles a day on the other. As others have said, whether or not you can plug in at work is what makes all the difference. What should be kept in mind is that the car should only be charged to 80%, which of 73 EPA miles equates to ~ 58 miles give or take. Although this seems enough now, once you get to driving the car, you are going to want to drive it more and to more places. If you drive in temps > 90 degrees or require the heater, you are going to take a range hit. If you forget to plug in and do not have a QC port and L3 charging station along your commute, you could find yourself in trouble. That being said, the Leaf is the better vehicle of the ones mentioned IMO.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Somebody needs a model S
I don't think one can lease one yet... and he'll be waiting awhile for it.
kubel said:
I would say go with the Ford C-MAX Energi over the Plug in Prius.

I recommend the LEAF for anyone who drives less than 40 miles per day.
From 40 to 60 miles, I wouldn't recommend it unless level 1 charging is definitely available at work, just in case it's needed (definitely needed in cold weather states).
From 60 to 80 miles, I wouldn't recommend it unless level 2 charging is definitely available at work.
80+ and I recommend you look for a different car.

There are people that own the LEAF and drive 100+ miles per day (charge at work), but with range degradation with age and temporary range limitations based on factors such as speed and cold, you probably don't want to push the limits.
Agree w/the above, but I wouldn't want a Ford at this point given how badly they've done in recent Consumer Reports reliability ratings. To quote from a post I made elsewhere:

They didn't do well at http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/10/most-reliable-new-cars/index.htm. Unfortunately, you need an online subscription to see most of the article and table at the bottom which shows Ford dropped to position 27 out of 28 (Jaguar was the only one worse), as mentioned in the part you can see.

The columns in the table of interest were average brand score, worst brand score and best brand score in terms of % better or worse than average (which is 0), worst model, best model, and rank change from last year.

Ford's average brand score was -59%, worst was -226%, best was 19%, worst model was Explorer V6 4WD, best was F-150 V6, change in rank was down 7 spots.

In comparison, the top 7 brands were Scion, Toyota, Lexus, Mazda, Subaru, Honda and Acura. They got average brand scores of 72, 47, 47, 40, 37, 36 and 26, respectively.

http://pressroom.consumerreports.or...all-while-seven-japanese-brands-top-list.html has more text everyone can see.

And at http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2012/10/the-10-least-reliable-cars.html, 6 of them are from Ford Motor Co.

Also, even though I'm no fan of JDPA and don't find their IQS that meaningful and feel that VDS is too short (only looks at 3 year old cars), Ford didn't do well in their '12 IQS: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/20/j-d-power-initial-quality-study-highlights-infotainment-woes-p/.

Ford, which was hit hard in 2011 due to problems with its MyFord Touch and MyLincoln Touch systems, came in at a lowly 28 out of 35. Bennie Fowler, Ford's group vice president of global quality, had said the automaker expected to "be about the same or slightly better" than last year's 23rd. Not quite... but it could be worse: Last place is shared by Fiat and Smart.
One note about the PiP. If the OP wishes to lease, Toyota (unlike Nissan and GM) will NOT pass on the entire value of the Federal tax credit to the person leasing.

See http://priuschat.com/threads/pip-lease-terms-will-toyota-give-us-a-fair-deal.102950/#post-1479464" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://priuschat.com/threads/pip-lease-terms-will-toyota-give-us-a-fair-deal.102950/#post-1494905" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Judging by some recent Priuschat threads (including by someone who didn't properly do research before leasing PiP), the situation hasn't changed.

(And yes, Erica does work for Toyota. I've met her before at an official Toyota event. And, I've been invited to official Toyota events via the "Prius Team" user.)

OP, MUST you lease? If not, perhaps consider purchasing a Rav4 EV. Its range should work for you. Tony got 130 miles out of the he rented (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=240769#p240769" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), before he finally bought one. He seems MUCH happier about its range compared to the Leafs he's had.

The same caveat about the lease and tax credit applies (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=240964#p240964" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). You don't want to lease a Rav4 EV unless you want to lose a substantial amount of Fed tax credit.

I know the original post is weather to get a Leaf or a PIP.
Your commute is outside the safe range of the Leaf. Unless you have access to L3 or L2 charging. So I would strongly recommend the PIP.
But
+1 On the Tesla Model S. Hands down no worries with the World Car Of The Year.

Thanks for the reply everyone! I'm open to other models as well but I am strictly leasing. I cab probably get access to a regular outlet at work. I live in socal so weather is fair. But ibdibuse the heat in the winter morning quite often and AC in the summer almost always. The main reason for the pip or EV is HOV access.

I would also recommend a C-Max Energi or a Volt over the Leaf. I just don't think the range is going to be acceptable for somebody with an 80-mile commute. Even if charging is available at work, what are you going to do if you can't charge for some reason? Or what if you get to work and there is some emergency at home and have to leave again right away before you have a chance to charge? Also for consideration might be the Ford Fusion Energi (but I don't think it is out just yet) or a Tesla Model-S. I know the Tesla is expensive but if you are driving 80 miles per day the cost savings is going to be several hundred Dollars in gasoline per month, so that might offset the cost some, especially if you wait for the cheaper 160-mile range versions to become available.

I'm confused why people are recommending the C-Max Energi. Ford's reliability is currently awful, including on some models/generations that have been produced for awhile. I'd be hesitant to buy a 1st model year vehicle from them.

OP lives in CA. Having more AER doesn't necessarily == cheaper running costs. Electricity in CA is NOT cheap. I don't know what rare tiers OP's into now and what his marginal cost of running a PHEV is. For all I know, it could be $0.30+/kwh (http://www.pge.com/myhome/myaccount/charges/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

The PiP is rated at 50 mpg combined, runs on regular, but I probably wouldn't lease due to Toyota's tax credit handling. Prius has had excellent reliability in CR and so has the PiP, so far. Volt is 37 mpg combined on premium. The Volt's had a pretty good reliability rating so far, as well.

I agree that unless you have level 2 charging at work, I would look at another vehicle than the Leaf (which I love). The plug-in Prius seemed quite a bit "noisier" when I gave it a test drive than did a Volt. I'd recommend test drives for both.

cwerdna said:
I'm confused why people are recommending the C-Max Energi. Ford's reliability is currently awful, including on some models/generations that have been produced for awhile. I'd be hesitant to buy a 1st model year vehicle from them.

OP lives in CA. Having more AER doesn't necessarily == cheaper running costs. Electricity in CA is NOT cheap. I don't know what rare tiers OP's into now and what his marginal cost of running a PHEV is. For all I know, it could be $0.30+/kwh (http://www.pge.com/myhome/myaccount/charges/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

The PiP is rated at 50 mpg combined, runs on regular, but I probably wouldn't lease due to Toyota's tax credit handling. Prius has had excellent reliability in CR and so has the PiP, so far. Volt is 37 mpg combined on premium. The Volt's had a pretty good reliability rating so far, as well.
Re Ford, I would want to see which areas in which cars are awful. I don't consider MyFordTouch/Sync to be a mission critical system (and would prefer to buy a car without it, given the choice). I've also considered cars that had poor overall reliability, but that was caused by equipment that I didn't have (say, an auto transmission when I want a manual, or a V-6 when I'm interested in an I-4).

Re the Volt, especially with the 2013 I think using the 37 mpg combined rating is incorrect; anyone with an ounce of sense will employ the 'Hold' mode if they know they're going to be on the freeway beyond AER, and use EV mode for stop and go driving and trips under the AER. So people should use the Volt's 40 mpg highway gas mileage to compare.

Depending on just when the OP's lease runs out, they might also consider waiting for the Accord PHEV, due next year.

Between LEAF and PiP for an 85 mile daily drive:

Just-Drive-The-Prius(TM)

Otherwise, in California, lease the Rav4 EV and know that you'll lose most or all of the $7500 federal tax credit.

Or, buy the Rav4, like I did, and take all the $7500, plus the $2500 state money.

cwerdna said:
Depends where you are. LA DWP (what I have) was running about 15 cents per kwh for green power (100% renewable) when I last checked about a year ago. If you go with TOU it will be less for the off-peak times (and more for others), but it didn't save me any money so I didn't make the change.

TOU from 8 pm to 10 am in LADWP with EV discount is 8.3 cents / kwh in summer and 8.8 rest of year.
works out to about 2 cents a mile in my LEAF.

Back