PBS Newshour report on Better Batteries for EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbleakne

Leaf Supporting Member
This segment on Monday's PBS Newshour mostly covers the Volt, but it does mention that the Nissan Leaf received Europe's Car of the Year award. Paul Solman is shown a table of battery history for last 100 years, Volt vs EV-1 battery density, and wind-tunnel testing of Volt. He asks whether battery technology has plateaued, but is told current progress is steady. He states that the Volt's battery's cost is reported to be 8K$. I was impressed not by the details but that this topic got significant air time on the Newshour.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/business/jan-june11/electriccar_01-31.html

I was rather dismayed that it focused almost exclusively on Detroit cars. Yes, one brief mention of the LEAF, but I don't remember even a hint of Tesla. A fair chunk of Ford Focus, but where was iMiev? No Coda or BYD, but I'll excuse those omissions.

great article. i dont care what car was the primary focus...OH WAIT!! it was not the car that had the focus. it was all about batteries and increasing efficiency!!

The LEAF is mentioned at 0:50 into the article, but the car they have pictured driving past the solar panels doesn't look like a production LEAF. It does look like a Nissan badge on the front, though. An early version, perhaps? I think they really missed an opportunity to talk about a longer-range battery....

the fact that they said "will be released soon" tells me that this article was done a few months back. since the Leaf is not developed here, the opportunity to talk with anyone about it before its launch would have been restricted to the 6 block test drive we all experienced

Back