Pattern of flashing lights and beeps at charging station

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devnulljp

Just bought a 2017 Leaf. Had this odd issue I can't figure out at two charging stations in my town.
First, the charger doesn't click onto the dock in the car, which is weird. Second, all I get is this pattern of all 3 dash lights flash 3 times accompanied by beeps. I'm assuming it's an error because the connector is not seated properly, it doesn't happen with other charging stations that *do* clip on properly.
Any insight?
Of course it gives me some concern as what happens if there are a lot of these charging stations I can't use scattered around? What if I need a charge while out and can't find one that works? It seems weird there would be stations that don't fit (other than the Tesla stations I've run into). I thought this connector was standard.

https://youtu.be/c6l8XUl3Chw

Yup, the car is saying "charging error." Look for a rubber O-ring type seal in the inside of the J-1772 plug. It likely has come unseated and is folded up, preventing the plug from fully entering the socket.

devnulljp said:
Just bought a 2017 Leaf. Had this odd issue I can't figure out at two charging stations in my town.
First, the charger doesn't click onto the dock in the car, which is weird. Second, all I get is this pattern of all 3 dash lights flash 3 times accompanied by beeps. I'm assuming it's an error because the connector is not seated properly, it doesn't happen with other charging stations that *do* clip on properly.
Any insight?
Of course it gives me some concern as what happens if there are a lot of these charging stations I can't use scattered around? What if I need a charge while out and can't find one that works? It seems weird there would be stations that don't fit (other than the Tesla stations I've run into). I thought this connector was standard.
The "click" is associated with the "trigger-release" mechanism on the handle. Iirc, the trigger often activates a switch on the "proximity" circuit. This allows charging to shut down the instant you push the trigger, instead of waiting for the handle to be removed; it's an additional protection against arcing. If the trigger is not functioning properly the proximity switch may not be closing.

In the following image all of the wiring except the proximity switch have been removed from the EVSE handle.

J1772_020.jpg

Thanks for the info. That cutaway of the handle is illuminating.
I figured out a workaround by pushing a thin screwdriver into the lock hole in the handle, which seems to push the button up enough that it activates the switch

Yikes, please be careful pushing a screw driver into the handle. There are live wires in there and you don't want to cut any insulation on them.

Back