Outside 240V 50A Code Questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kubel

Has anyone wired an outside 240V outlet? I'm planning on mounting a 14-50R on the back of my house (brick) to be used with a weather sealed OpenEVSE.

1) How far above grade should it be?
2) How am I supposed to GFCI protect a 14-50R? Breaker-style GFCI? Or is that not required in this case? I know the EVSE will have GFCI, I'm just worried about the city inspector.
3) Which style cover should I choose? Plastic in-use cover? Or one of those metal enclosures like a campground would have?

Winter is just around the corner and I need the ability to L2 charge at my new house if I expect to survive.

kubel said:
Has anyone wired an outside 240V outlet? I'm planning on mounting a 14-50R on the back of my house (brick) to be used with a weather sealed OpenEVSE.

1) How far above grade should it be?
2) How am I supposed to GFCI protect a 14-50R? Breaker-style GFCI? Or is that not required in this case? I know the EVSE will have GFCI, I'm just worried about the city inspector.
3) Which style cover should I choose? Plastic in-use cover? Or one of those metal enclosures like a campground would have?

Winter is just around the corner and I need the ability to L2 charge at my new house if I expect to survive.

Local codes vary. Consult your local code for specifics.

If you're going to get it inspected then you'll need to get a permit first and that would be a good time to ask this question. But it's a good idea to do your homework first as the permit department people will ask to describe what you're planning in doing. If you're nice and they feel that you don't know what you're doing they will probably try to help.

About what you need to do, I think installing the outlet outside is asking for trouble. It will have to be weather proofed and GFCI protected. It's kind of a waste because the EVSE does that already. Those things are expensive: https://www.platt.com/platt-electri...Panels/Eaton/BR50SPA/product.aspx?zpid=428504

My 2 cents: better solutions would be to either install the EVSE inside and find a way to pass the J1772 cable through the wall OR to hardwire the EVSE outside. With this last option you won't have to worry about GFCI.

The 2011 NEC requires outdoor EVSEs to be hard wired, except those operating at 120V and 15 or 20 amps. See 625.13 and 625.29.

Cheers, Wayne

"All" of Blinks outside EVSEs that were permitted and inspected were done with a receptacle. While this technically is not allowed I question the reasoning.

Home Depot has the breaker linked above for $56 which is the cheapest I've seen a 240 volt GFCI breakers. For example this one is $100 http://m.homedepot.com/p/GE-50-Amp-2-1-4-in-Double-Pole-GFCI-Circuit-Breaker-THQL2150GFP/202307131/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Technically outside 240 volt receptacles do not require GFCI but I would consider it a good idea. You definitely want to use a large plastic cover that will weather proof the receptacle while your EVSE is plugged in. Then you would want to use an exterior rated junction box as well.

I'd be careful about installing the EVSE inside and passing the handle outside. It's generally not a standard practice to pass cords through walls.

I think it'll be up to you weather you want to hardwire it or install a receptacle with or without a GFCI breaker. As long as the work all looks good I don't think an inspector will question it.

I built up an OpenEVSE in a weatherproof box for a member in Georgia. Since I have no complaints I assume it is working fine. In areas with snow an internal heater may be required. This was a plug in unit.

QueenBee said:
"All" of Blinks outside EVSEs that were permitted and inspected were done with a receptacle.
I find that surprising as I don't see any amendments in Washington state to section 625 in the NEC. My Blink here in California was hardwired when it was installed outside.

Cheers, Wayne

drees said:
What do RV parks do for their outdoor 14-50 receptacles? The same needs to be done here.

Just a metal box where the lid is open at the bottom for the cord to hang down.
Can get a single box at home depot with just 14-50 presented. (lower pic)

RV-Power-Pedestal-Unmetered-370.jpg

shopping

The bottom one was actually the one I was thinking about. I could swap out the receptacle and add an interlock at the breaker and convert it into a generator plug for back feeding into the house when I find a permanent location for the EVSE (in the garage eventually).

kubel said:
The bottom one was actually the one I was thinking about. I could swap out the receptacle and add an interlock at the breaker and convert it into a generator plug for back feeding into the house when I find a permanent location for the EVSE (in the garage eventually).
I have used both of these and either one will do the job. The one on the top costs more but is a bit safer where you can use the breaker to turn it off while you insert or remove the plug. Something to think about.

Another good thing to do is use one of these camco plugs when you make your adapter cord for the EVSE.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PGVZ30/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p263_d16_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1D7763Q7CA4R50ZM3BX4&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wwhitney said:
QueenBee said:
"All" of Blinks outside EVSEs that were permitted and inspected were done with a receptacle.
I find that surprising as I don't see any amendments in Washington state to section 625 in the NEC. My Blink here in California was hardwired when it was installed outside.

Nice to see some installers and/or inspectors know what the NEC says and followed/enforced it.

So I was just looking at NEC 2014 Article 625. Am I reading it completely in that hardwiring is no longer required for outside installations as long as it it meets 625.44: 125 volt 15/20 amp receptacle or meets all of the following:
-Nonlocking 2-pole/3 wire or Nonlocking 3-pole/4 wire
-Fastened in place to faciliate any one of the following: Ready removal, facilitate maintenance, moving
-Cord limit of 6' (or I believe 12" if GFCI is in the EVSE)
-Receptacles are located to avoid physical damage to the cord
-Obviously all the other applicable NEC bits for an outside receptacle, etc.

I believe this is a good change BUT why are they excluding locking connectors?!

Back