Outrageous Charger Installation Quotes

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wq2345 said:
One of the most helpful forums I've ever had the pleasure of posting to. Thanks for the suggestions.
I think I'll definitely opt out of AV's inflated price and either get whatever ClipperCreek can provide me or a separate charger.

Question: how does one opt out of the AV quote? I've read other places about some waiver that needs to be completed?

By the way, I'm in Pasadena. However, I've heard that other cities in CA and NJ also gave BMW and their MiniE test drivers major headaches last year over the non-UL certified cable attached to the Clipper Creek charger.

You can use the existing CC dock with a new cable. Just swap the charge cable yourself and you will have a superior dock over the AV model.

mwalsh said:
Meanwhile, Consumer Reports has picked up on the EVSE controversy:

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2010/09/nissan-leaf-electric-car-charger-installation-cost-proves-shocking.html
Talk about misinformation! I attempted to post a response there; we'll see if Consumer Reports allows it to be displayed.

There are several inaccuracies here.

(1) The picture shows a connection to the Level 3 CHAdeMO DC Charging Port. *No one* is going to have a Level 3 charger in their garage. Those machine cost on the order of $20,000 and require three-phase power.

(2) The charger that converts 240v AC to DC is not what is being sold for $700 to $1200. That charger is built into the car, and is not priced separately.

(3) The charging *dock* (or formally EVSE) is what is mounted on the wall in a garage. That is basically an extension cord with a number of safety features and auto reset, though some of them do indeed have timers and/or remote access.

(4) Existing, but unused, 30 amp or higher circuits in the garage can be utilized without additional wiring.

(5) The 240v charging dock is not required. Both the Nissan Leaf and the Chevy Volt will be shipped with a charging adapter which can be plugged into a standard 110-120v outlet. Most people getting a Volt will find that adequate, as the Volt battery can be fully charged overnight using that connection. Many people getting a Leaf will also find 120v charging adequate, since, like the Volt, it will provide about 40 miles of power in eight hours. However, anyone driving a Leaf more than 1000 miles per month will want a 240v charging dock.

planet4ever said:
mwalsh said:
Meanwhile, Consumer Reports has picked up on the EVSE controversy:

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2010/09/nissan-leaf-electric-car-charger-installation-cost-proves-shocking.html
Talk about misinformation! I attempted to post a response there; we'll see if Consumer Reports allows it to be displayed.

There are several inaccuracies here.

(1) The picture shows a connection to the Level 3 CHAdeMO DC Charging Port. *No one* is going to have a Level 3 charger in their garage. Those machine cost on the order of $20,000 and require three-phase power.

(2) The charger that converts 240v AC to DC is not what is being sold for $700 to $1200. That charger is built into the car, and is not priced separately.

(3) The charging *dock* (or formally EVSE) is what is mounted on the wall in a garage. That is basically an extension cord with a number of safety features and auto reset, though some of them do indeed have timers and/or remote access.

(4) Existing, but unused, 30 amp or higher circuits in the garage can be utilized without additional wiring.

(5) The 240v charging dock is not required. Both the Nissan Leaf and the Chevy Volt will be shipped with a charging adapter which can be plugged into a standard 110-120v outlet. Most people getting a Volt will find that adequate, as the Volt battery can be fully charged overnight using that connection. Many people getting a Leaf will also find 120v charging adequate, since, like the Volt, it will provide about 40 miles of power in eight hours. However, anyone driving a Leaf more than 1000 miles per month will want a 240v charging dock.
Consumer Reports really needs to stay away from the auto business
They should stick with blenders and laundry machines :roll:

Back