output voltage

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the chademo chargers at the Nissan dealers, the voltage and current is displayed while the car is charging. I've noticed the voltage is in the high 300s at first and goes to the mid 400s or higher as it charges. Go hook up to one and see for yourself for more accurate values. I'm assuming the onboard charger needs to put out nearly identical voltages to push current into the battery. The theory I remember is that the majority of the voltage needed to charge a battery is the voltage to overcome the voltage of the battery, you then need a small amount more to overcome the resistance of the battery to push through the current that you desire. That's the only voltage that would vary from a very large current charger like the level 3s and onboard charger, and I can't imagine that it would be more than a couple volts difference.

i need to know it,because i will order a elcon charger,and therefore i need the voltage.
when ordering ,the adjust the charge with the given voltage,and the output voltage cant be changed.

I would speculate the voltage is the same. The real difference is the wattage or amperage.

You speculate incorrectly.(no offense :D )
The charging voltage changes quite a bit, is measures many times a second, and the current changes inversely.

This is one of the primary reasons that the early part of the DCQC goes more quickly than towards the end.

The available INPUT power of the DCQC is "fixed", so as the voltage required to charge increases, the available amps (at this new voltage) decreases.

This is REALLY evident with the Nissan units I have used.

I get an initial high current flow, which decreases significantly in 10 or so minutes as the charge voltage starts to rise.
The BIG Blink DCQC units must have a higher input power available, as it is less pronounced with those units

From the LEAF wiki:

Battery Specs
Type Laminated lithium-ion battery
Voltage 403.2V [1]
Nominal voltage 360V [2]
Total capacity 24 kWh [2] (16 kWh available, 67% DoD [3], 21 kWh declared [4])
Power output Over 90 kW

So it must be at least 403.2 volts. Charger might be slightly higher but has programming to stop at a certain charge level. Fixed voltage charging may not be optimal for this battery.

xado1 said:
what is the output voltage of the built in leaf charger?
on the chademo station the voltage is 390 volt.
The charging voltage is a function of the current voltage of the battery and power the charger is delivering at the time. It changes as the battery charges. The on-board charger has to run at a range of output voltages just as the CHAdeMO charger does.

xado1 said:
i need to know it,because i will order a elcon charger,and therefore i need the voltage.
when ordering ,the adjust the charge with the given voltage,and the output voltage cant be changed.

Suggest you get yourself a Brusa if you plan on doing this.
Can be controlled by the Leaf's CAN bus, and adapts to the voltage changes.
See the "adding a Brusa charger thread"

Back