OpenEVSE - Open Source Charging Station

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm building my Open EVSE and wondering if anyone built some sort of cable breakaway into theirs. I'm planning on using quick disconnect (QD) terminals (this and this) inside the enclosure. The J1772 cable would be connected to one end of the QD terminal and attached to the enclosure with zip ties. 20 lbs or so of pull on the J1772 cable would break the zip ties, separate the terminals, and allow the J1722 to fall away from the enclosure. This is to prevent the enclosure from being ripped off the wall. See schematic below. Comments welcome, thanks.

scan1206260002.jpg

mcochris said:
I'm building my Open EVSE and wondering if anyone built some sort of cable breakaway into theirs. I'm planning on using quick disconnect (QD) terminals (this and this) inside the enclosure. The J1772 cable would be connected to one end of the QD terminal and attached to the enclosure with zip ties. 20 lbs or so of pull on the J1772 cable would break the zip ties, separate the terminals, and allow the J1722 to fall away from the enclosure. This is to prevent the enclosure from being ripped off the wall. See schematic below. Comments welcome, thanks.

scan1206260002.jpg
No good for the quick disconnect.
If you are seriously on the fact, you better use Anderson's connectors, a little more money but very worth it.
This come in an assortment of colors, amperage and the same gender.

mcochris said:
I do like the idea of a quick disconnect. You might want to check out the forum thread "Inside the EVSE" It shows the guts of several commercial EVSE units.
I think the two best solution that I have seen are the Coulomb Technologies CT500 and the Aerovironment ( AV ), which is similar to what you have proposed.

I agree with Chris on keeping the pilot as the shortest cable, which in theory will open the relay before the two power cables disconnect.

Another item that I have seen missing in many DIY EVSE's are the ferrite cores on the supply and J1772 cables. They are fairly inexpensive and help suppress high frequency noise and electromagnetic interference. You will see them in many of the commercial EVSE units.

These are the cores I use on my Open EVSE units. Digikey part #732-1564-ND
74270095_sml.jpg

Greg C.

Thanks for the replies on the breakaway.

I do like the Anderson Powerpole connectors, but they require a special crimp tool. The Anderson crimp tool is over $500, but there's a $40 one here. I may try that.

What I don't know is how easy the Powerpoles disconnect. The specs say 3 lbs for the 45A single connectors. FYI - Anderson part numbers would be 1345 for the power leads and 1395 for the pilot.

I like the idea of breaking the pilot connection first, will build that in. Thanks for the info on the ferrites, will add those to the power lines. Already planning on a noise filter before the circuit board and MOV & gas & TVS surge protection on the incoming 240 VAC.

mcochris said:
This is to prevent the enclosure from being ripped off the wall
Sorry but I don't understand what will "pull the enclosure off the wall"... I'm not aware of any production EV that can move while being charged.

chris1howell said:
Cool. I just sent out the new board design today.
Hi Chris. Not sure how to comment on the Open EVSE project page but wanted to make you aware that the DC-DC on the Rev 2 schematic is listed as +5V input but the V2 BOM says +12V :)

KevinSharpe said:
mcochris said:
Sorry but I don't understand what will "pull the enclosure off the wall"... I'm not aware of any production EV that can move while being charged.

I park on an incline and it's easy to put the LEAF in neutral and with the low rolling resistance - gravity provides the movement. MNL has reports of this happening so it's not all theory. Tha AV units have disconnects for this situation.

Nekota said:
KevinSharpe said:
mcochris said:

I park on an incline and it's easy to put the LEAF in neutral
You can shift into neutral with the J1772 connector attached?

How about the rare kind of accident where something runs over the cord, the cord catches and is yanked from the EVSE; I think in the U.K. the cord at the feed in connector would be pulled out of the socket; but, in the U.S. not so.

fotajoye said:
How about the rare kind of accident where something runs over the cord, the cord catches and is yanked from the EVSE; I think in the U.K. the cord at the feed in connector would be pulled out of the socket; but, in the U.S. not so.
I guess anything is possible... just like at a gas station :eek:

In Europe both Type 1 ("J1772") and Type 2 ("Mennekes") cables are locked into the charging station when in use. Certainly you can't shift a Tesla into neutral when the charging door is open and I'm just amazed that you can do that with a Leaf...

KevinSharpe said:
Certainly you can't shift a Tesla into neutral when the charging door is open and I'm just amazed that you can do that with a Leaf...

here is a thread with a couple reports of folks "rolling" away with the car plugged in (my wife included).

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=173801#p173801" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

palmermd said:
here is a thread with a couple reports of folks "rolling" away with the car plugged in (my wife included)
Ok thanks... sounds like a fundamental software flaw that Nissan should address... IMO it should be impossible to shift the car from park when the charging door is open.

KevinSharpe said:
Ok thanks... sounds like a fundamental software flaw that Nissan should address... IMO it should be impossible to shift the car from park when the charging door is open.
The problem with that is that an electrical fault could mimic being plugged in and immobilize the car, making it difficult to tow. They could certainly make it harder to get into neutral, though.

davewill said:
KevinSharpe said:
The problem with that is that an electrical fault could mimic being plugged in and immobilize the car, making it difficult to tow. They could certainly make it harder to get into neutral, though.

+1 that was my exact response in the linked thread.

davewill said:
Tesla have a separate tow mode selection that's independent of the charging function... IMO it's a mistake to ever allow a car to move when it's connected to a charger.

KevinSharpe said:
Tesla have a separate tow mode selection that's independent of the charging function...
That qualifies as "making it harder to get into neutral."

I had a problem earlier this year where my daughter had her purse stolen...including BOTH keyfobs for my Prius. :roll: Besides the $800 it cost to rekey it, the idiot tow driver ended up doing $2000 worth of damage because he couldn't get it out of park and couldn't reach the front of the car to pick up the front end. Instead of calling for another truck that had a proper dolly, he tried to ease it back using a regular floor jack to get the front wheels off the ground...unsurprisingly it fell off the jack, damaging the transaxel by pulling a hose fitting clean out. Luckily, the tow company didn't give me too much grief over covering the repair, although their suggestion that the dealer just shove the hose fitting back in and secure it with JB Weld did give everyone an ache from the belly laughs...

MOV & gas & TVS surge protection on the incoming 240 VAC.

mcochris keep us updated on your progress. I really like the idea of surge protection. I bought a Leviton unit but it is a bit too big to fit in most enclosures. It has unneeded suppression from ground to neutral and line to neutral. I have been planning to build a smaller suppression unit but have not got to that yet...

I am planning to add ferrite cores and disconnects also mainly to make servicing easier (I work on my EVSE pretty regularly). The Anderson Power Products connectors look perfect.

7456348278_e415cb9712.jpg

Back