OpenEVSE - Open Source Charging Station

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did # 2

91040 said:
Looking for advice:

I have this box that was recommended for a 75A EVSE: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/NBE-10563/377-1146-ND/387065" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The outside dimensions of the box are 11"L x 7.5"W x 5.5"H. It has an insert with a hinged metal plate that partitions the lower part of the box. The depth is approximately 4 5/16". This does not take into account a mounting plate. Above the partition there is about an inch of clearance to a clear cover.

The specs for the 75A contactor recommend a minimum enclosure volume of 853 cubic inches. This box is ~466 cubic inches. Will that be a problem? I am told that the contactor coil will use about 12 watts and OpenEVSE will use about 2.5watts.

Also, the contactor will not fit under the metal plate. So the choices are...

1. Not use the insert and metal cover. The display would be on stand offs or attached directly to the clear cover.

2. Use the insert and metal cover. Would need to cut a hole for the contactor to fit through that would be large enough to avoid contact with the line in and J1772 out power connections (insulate the edge of the metal cover?). The display would be attached to the metal cover.

3. Select a different box.

Any recommendations?

Only slightly off-topic: The "High Voltage Schematic" at http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/75AOpenEVSE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; still incorrectly shows in the text "Circuit Breaker must be rated at least 20% higher than the max EVSE current." That should be 25% (not 20%) ...

LEAFer said:
Only slightly off-topic: The "High Voltage Schematic" at http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/75AOpenEVSE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; still incorrectly shows in the text "Circuit Breaker must be rated at least 20% higher than the max EVSE current." That should be 25% (not 20%) ...

One of those number "things"; the continuous load should be 80% of the breaker (80 amp load is 100 amp breaker), but 100 amps is 125% of 80 amps.

TonyWilliams said:
LEAFer said:

One of those number "things"; the continuous load should be 80% of the breaker (80 amp load is 100 amp breaker), but 100 amps is 125% of 80 amps.
Right, it's a "number thing". (Actually, more of a "ratio" or "fraction" thing.) But the text is still wrong the way it is written.

LEAFer said:
TonyWilliams said:
LEAFer said:

Right, it's a "number thing". (Actually, more of a "ratio" or "fraction" thing.) But the text is still wrong the way it is written.

Well, I made the Wiki, but I can't edit the numbers, they are embedded in a PDF that is just linked to, Chris will have to edit that, or whoever generated the PDF

LEAFer said:

The whole schematic needs updating to reflect the current OpenEVSE plus design including the test probes for the AC detect circuit. I will make the correction and give it an overhaul.

I saw several references to the 30A Leviton cable for under $140, but the best price I'm seeing now on the link present on several posts on this thread is just under $180.

Is there a coupon needed to get the cheaper price?

w6vms said:
I saw several references to the 30A Leviton cable for under $140, but the best price I'm seeing now on the link present on several posts on this thread is just under $180.

Is there a coupon needed to get the cheaper price?

They just bumped the price from $134 to $173...

But with free shipping and code "LUVLEVTN" (20% OFF) you can get it back down to $138 before tax

evnow said:
Will there be anyone offering full EVSE based on open EVSE design ? I wonder how much they would charge ...
I certainly hope not. The principle behind something like the Open EVSE collaboration is to benefit amateur owner/builders, not to make someone money. Everyone shares and adds to the data for the benefit of all. Stealing the technology for monetary gain would be unethical and (hopefully) illegal, so if anyone should try that, we all would reward them by boycotting whatever they're selling . . . . I hope!

Don

Don123 said:
The principle behind something like the Open EVSE collaboration is to benefit amateur owner/builders, not to make someone money.
Not at all... people are making money out of the Open EVSE and IMO that's important if we wish to see the project survive in the long term. Personally, I see no contradiction between open source and revenue generation.

Don123 said:
evnow said:
Will there be anyone offering full EVSE based on open EVSE design ? I wonder how much they would charge ...
I certainly hope not. The principle behind something like the Open EVSE collaboration is to benefit amateur owner/builders, not to make someone money. Everyone shares and adds to the data for the benefit of all. Stealing the technology for monetary gain would be unethical and (hopefully) illegal, so if anyone should try that, we all would reward them by boycotting whatever they're selling . . . . I hope!

Don

I think it would be amazing if someone took the OpenEVSE design, got it certified/listed, and manufactured into a product. IMO it would be a bit sketchy to try and sell an OpenEVSE as a product without being certified/listed.

I don't intend to answer for Chris and the others who have worked very hard on the software and design but I don't think their principles are the same as yours. Why exclude commercial interests from collaborating on this project? Why is making money bad? I REALLY hope Chris is making money selling the boards, kits, etc. because I want him to continue doing that.

You say "stealing" but how does one steal ideas, especially ideas that are being given away. I see nothing unethical or illegal about it. If they make improvements to the design or software they should and/or are required to release those changes to that everyone can benefit.

On this note, I think you might be surprised how many commercial products contain and use "stolen" open source software.

You might want to read up on http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FYI, Open EVSE is published with the GPL v3 license (according to the Google Code page).

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don123 said:
evnow said:

Don
You're being too rigid. If someone is willing to undertake the large effort, investment and liability to produce a consumer ready product from the OpenEVSE design, they deserve to be compensated. Being a software guy, I'm not all that interested in actually building one, but I'd be interested in buying a quality unit based on the design. That would let me play with the firmware to make it better...or just give me the ability to benefit from future enhancements.

That said, it would be good if they would give back to the community by keeping their changes open.

davewill said:
That said, it would be good if they would give back to the community by keeping their changes open.

Depending on the license, it's usually required to release your improvements on the design under the same license.

Don123 said:
evnow said:

Don
As others have noted, overall it is great to have some people commercialize the design, and still keep it open. This would allow the design to reach a lot more people than just those with soldering skills (or in my case lack of free time).

So i have read nearly this entire thread and looked on the Open EVSE site and still can seem to find an answer...

Can someone point me in the right direction. I am purchasing a built OpenEVSE, What is required for final assembly? I know I need the J1772.

xistent said:
So i have read nearly this entire thread and looked on the Open EVSE site and still can seem to find an answer...

Can someone point me in the right direction. I am purchasing a built OpenEVSE, What is required for final assembly? I know I need the J1772.
How would we know without you telling us what is meant by "built"? I guess we know they builder left out the J1772 (and cable), but how are we to know what else they left out?

davewill said:
xistent said:

How would we know without you telling us what is meant by "built"? I guess we know they builder left out the J1772 (and cable), but how are we to know what else they left out?

chris1howell is selling a "built" package. I asked him in an email but I am sure he is busy. I was hoping someone here had already ordered a built package from him.

Back