OpenEVSE - Open Source Charging Station

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a list of folks interested in a group purchase was started by surfingslovac in another thread...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=162222#p162222" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

perhaps this is a better place to gather the list of interested parties.

Yes, I posted my interest on that thread already... we don't have anyone keeping a list of usernames/qty/which model (30A or 70A) though... It doesn't appear we are anywhere near 25 though.

Finished putting together one of the Open EVSE w/GFCI boards this past week.
I made a few minor modification to the board layout and size to fit an enclosure I had on hand.
Still waiting on my power supply to arrive.
I used DorkbotPDX for the printed circuit boards, and have an extra one if anyone needs it.
Great design, Thanks Chris.

6703995225_4c851844e8_b.jpg

surfingslovak said:
Kevin stated there that he expected the initial price point for the J1772 to Mennekes cable to be £200.
Following the feedback from our beta testers we have updated the cable design and switched to the new 'Gen 2' ITT connector. We expect this cable to be CE marked and in volume production by the end of March with a target price £199 (32A version)...

http://twitpic.com/8binqz

I have been working with the Chinese trade group, Alibaba, trying to buy one J1772 unit for testing; from the information I'm reading, I think this is a good course to follow. Certainly before we buy a bunch that don't fit properly from a place in China. The only problem is they still want too much money for a test unit when you consider shipping, customs and UPS fees, etc.

The way I see to break this price dam is by someone investing in a lot of about a 100-1000 or so and sell them back at a reasonable retail price...$200 is not a fair price for what these things are...a fancy spec plug with a spec cable. To prove this point, there are Chinese factories willing to price them between $35-$85 plug shipping,etc., in large lots.

Anyone want to take a chance for about $50,000? I didn't think so! So, it looks like waiting for the market forces to work is all we have at the moment.

fotajoye said:
I have been working with the Chinese trade group, Alibaba, trying to buy one J1772 unit for testing; from the information I'm reading, I think this is a good course to follow.
We have actually stopped using chinese supplied connectors because the quality was simply not consistent enough for us to risk serious $. I'm sure this will improve in the future but for now the volumes are too low for cheap, high quality connectors to be made.

If someone in the forum can put together a list of people who will commit to buy a 32A 5M (~16') cable with a ITT "Generation 2" J1772 plug then I might be able to help by shipping some to my US office (based in OR) and selling direct to you from there... to keep the price realistic, I suspect we will need 50 pre-orders.

fotajoye said:
Anyone want to take a chance for about $50,000? I didn't think so! So, it looks like waiting for the market forces to work is all we have at the moment.
Maybe this is the sort of thing that PIA could sponsor... I would have thought that a connector manufacturer would be willing to supply 50-100 'samples' at cost to a US non-profit corp...

I will commit for one cable assembly but prefer 20'/22' cable lenght.
KevinSharpe said:
fotajoye said:
I have been working with the Chinese trade group, Alibaba, trying to buy one J1772 unit for testing; from the information I'm reading, I think this is a good course to follow.
We have actually stopped using chinese supplied connectors because the quality was simply not consistent enough for us to risk serious $. I'm sure this will improve in the future but for now the volumes are too low for cheap, high quality connectors to be made.

If someone in the forum can put together a list of people who will commit to buy a 32A 5M (~16') cable with a ITT "Generation 2" J1772 plug then I might be able to help by shipping some to my US office (based in OR) and selling direct to you from there... to keep the price realistic, I suspect we will need 50 pre-orders.

mrbigh said:
I will commit for one cable assembly but prefer 20'/22' cable lenght.
I'm sorry but no variations are possible... our standard cable is 32A 5M (~16') cable with a ITT "Generation 2" J1772 plug (we usually have a Type 2 "mennekes" plug on the other end).

KevinSharpe said:
I'm sorry but no variations are possible... our standard cable is 32A 5M (~16') cable with a ITT "Generation 2" J1772 plug (we usually have a Type 2 "mennekes" plug on the other end).
OK, I'll commit to one which I will couple to Chris's Open EVSE board.

i am also good for 1 30 amp 16 ft cord and plug,I will need it also for eventual open evse project regards kp couch

I might mount a "minimal" OpenEVSE "under the hood", without using a J1772 plug or cable, just tapping onto the back side of the LEAF's J1772 socket.

Then, I just use an extension cord from the "shore power" to the under-the-hood "EVSE" which would simulate "plugging in" (when it gets shore power), as well as acting as an EVSE for charging.

It needs one extra low-power relay to simulate the J1772 plug's "Proximity" connection.

I have given thought to this idea but decided to go a different way while waiting for the J1772 market to catch up. I have the Nissan brick upgrade that works on 240vac, so why not cut the J1772 cable back about 4 ft and splice in a 4 wire male/female connector. Then add a length of 4 wire power cord from the open EVSE to a mating connector on the J1772 plug piece. You could then carry the brick in your car and only exchange the 4 foot J1772 piece between the brick and the open EVSE. Once the J1772 plug is priced right, add it to either the brick or EVSE.

Tapping into ji1772 eh?.I wondered how long it would take to come up with that :shock: I think that would definitely void the warrenty but makes perfect sense...the way the car should have been designed in the first place..regards kp couch

I quote Jack Rickard: "I never saw a connector I liked."

But, having said that, the design of the J1772 socket and plug helps minimize arcing when one disconnects and connects the pins while the current is flowing across the pin junctions.

Being hard-wired to the back of the J1772 socket, and having a STOP button for the "IN-EVSE" (IN-the-car pseudo-EVSE) will make it so that the current can be turned OFF before the extension cord is pulled from the "shore-power".

One might even sense the charge-port "not-closed" as a STOP.

Then, one could plug in and close the hatch in any order, and one would always open the hatch, unplug from "shore", and retract the cord into the car.

This assumes that the extension cord can exit the hatch area with the hatch sufficiently closed.

fotajoye said:
But, having said that, the design of the J1772 socket and plug helps minimize arcing when one disconnects and connects the pins while the current is flowing across the pin junctions.

But the car stops charging when you unlatch the EVSE right so there shouldn't be any real load on the pins when you disconnect right?

@QB:
Under normal operation and when the EVSE is working correctly, I would say yes; however, I think it's a good idea in this case to control the order of pin make and break as an answer to good Worse Case Analysis work. Remember, the Public uses these connectors and who knows what they will do?

Back