One of the reasons I bought my Leaf.. a picture says it all.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatricioEV

DSC01576.jpg
hehehe

Thats great, but don't forget all of modern civilization is still dependent on oil and oil byproducts, diesel fuel to deliver products in trucks, and to run farm & construction equipment, asphalt to pave roads, plastics, fertilizer, the list is almost endless.

It's great you are reducing your oil consumption, but we are no closer to being an oil free society... In short, without oil the planets population would be decimated, oil is why there are 8 billion people on earth, it's what allowed us to get to where we are.

mitch672 said:
It's great you are reducing your oil consumption, but we are no closer to being an oil free society... In short, without oil the planets population would be decimated, oil is why there are 8 billion people on earth, it's what allowed us to get to where we are.

Right...so let's save the oil for the things for which there are no easy alternatives and use renewable-based electricity to move our butts around town!

Now getting back to the original post, where did you get that sticker? I might actually consider putting one of those on my car!

F'-ing OPEC does not mean becoming oil free. that aint happening even if we did have 5 minute 500 QC options. but eliminating the current imports of foreign oil from anywhere but Canada is all i want for now

lpickup said:
mitch672 said:

Right...so let's save the oil for the things for which there are no easy alternatives and use renewable-based electricity to move our butts around town!

Now getting back to the original post, where did you get that sticker? I might actually consider putting one of those on my car!

try here:
http://www.customsense.com/p155/Calvin_Pee_on_OPEC_Decal/product_info.html

DaveinOlyWA said:
F'-ing OPEC does not mean becoming oil free. that aint happening even if we did have 5 minute 500 QC options. but eliminating the current imports of foreign oil from anywhere but Canada is all i want for now
Why are we so obsessed with using our oil first? Last time I checked, God wasn't making any more of it. Even with reduced consumption, and all advances in alternative energy, it is a limited resource, and it will only be more valuable over time. If we want to be cynical - let's use up their oil, and conserve as much of ours as possible.

Vlad said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Why are we so obsessed with using our oil first? Last time I checked, God wasn't making any more of it. Even with reduced consumption, and all advances in alternative energy, it is a limited resource, and it will only be more valuable over time. If we want to be cynical - let's use up their oil, and conserve as much of ours as possible.

wow, i cant believe you think that pumping money into a foreign country's economy is ok

DaveinOlyWA said:
wow, i cant believe you think that pumping money into a foreign country's economy is ok

That's not the only disconnect with the economic theory that I have. I think that life doesn't end after a quarterly earnings report. I don't think that moving natural resources from a mine to a landfill faster and faster equals good life. And I certainly don't think endless growth is possible on planet Earth - this idea apparently didn't catch on in any major school of economic thought. “Anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist.” - don't know who said it, but they are dead on.

With that in mind, I don't think the choice is to pump money into a foreign economy or not. I think the choice is to pump less money now, or pump more money later. All oil on Earth will likely be eventually used up. It will be more valuable the less of it is left.

DaveinOlyWA said:
. . . . . and fact of the matter is, should there come a day when Canada's population, and/or manufacturing/economy take off any more than it is, they'd cut us off like a red-headed stepchild. Gee ... good thing outsource so much of our manufacturing ... I guess. :?

Vlad said:
With that in mind, I don't think the choice is to pump money into a foreign economy or not. I think the choice is to pump less money now, or pump more money later. All oil on Earth will likely be eventually used up. It will be more valuable the less of it is left.

LOL!! how did you get the impression that we are that smart?? if we continue to get oil without "too" much pain (we are just about OD'ing on pain killers now!) we will do that without lifting a single finger to find alternatives. that is why we need to stop importing oil.

we wont do a thing until the pain threshold is exceeded. pokes and pinches are not enough to get us in the right direction.

look at the cyclic bursts of car sales; gas hits $4 a gallon, Prius sales increase 50%. 6 months later gas hits $3 a gallon and SUV sales increase 50% and there are 3 pages of used Priuses for sale!!

ya, we ARE THAT STUPID. we cannot make the right decision. we must be put in a situation where we simply have to choose which way to turn onto a one way street. only then will we be able to make this decision on our own.

Richard Heinberg wrote a book about sustainability in the future. states we will never get back to pre 2008 economic levels and the best we can do is "tread water". find a level we can settle at that will be determined by how well we can utilize renewable resources. "The End of Growth"

have not read it but definitely will be on my book list.

Back