on board charger speed 3.6 vs 6.6

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gozer

My '22 Leaf S has somehow changed it's charging speed from 6.6 to 3.6 and I cannot get it to switch back. The owners manual has nothing on it and ev customer 'support' is totally useless. I would rather not go to the dealer w such a small thing but I cant get it to work. Also, do I have to switch it for each type of charger? I thought this was all automatic.

If the public charger I was using this morning was at 3.6 would the car switch too?

The charger is what it is, it doesn't change. The EVSE "tells" the on board charger how much current it is allowed to draw, and it will draw that amount and no more up to the 6Kw limit of the charger.
That is the charger end of things.
Are you talking about the display on the dashboard where it tells you how long it will take to charge?
If the public charger can only provide 3.6, that is all the onboard charger will draw.
Where are you located? Some places in Europe have a limited power on single phase and can charge faster when all three phases are used, but that is something the Leaf is not set up to do.

I am in upstate NY, This morning someone started charging at the unit I was at, thats when I noticed the change. Yes, the dashbord display has another page that shows charging speeds, I couldnt get it to go back to 6.6.

It sounds like you are talking about the Charge Time Screen display, which can be changed via settings to allow the User to select the displayed time screen based on the charge method (e.g., 3.3 or 6.6 kW).
You can find more info on this setting on Page 2-32 of the 2022 manual.

Ok, Thanks. I went through the charge settings in the manual and found nothing in the charge rate. Maybe missed it.

My '22 Leaf S has somehow changed it's charging speed from 6.6 to 3.6 and I cannot get it to switch back. The owners manual has nothing on it and ev customer 'support' is totally useless. I would rather not go to the dealer w such a small thing but I cant get it to work. Also, do I have to switch it for each type of charger? I thought this was all automatic.
If you are at a public charger, it may be that particular charger and not your vehicle. It may be power sharing with another vehicle or reducing its power output to comply with the grid operator request. Try a different charger. Or go to an RV park or somewhere with a 240 VAC NEMA outlet and use the EVSE charging cord that came with the car and charge with it. FYI: The charge time estimate screen automatically changes its charing rate display to the charge rate it is receiving.

+1 That's what i was thinking, when someone else plugs in to a shared charger then your rate will decrease.

Also the type2 cable contains a resistor that tell to the car the maximum power admitted by the cable itself, have you changed cable or it is always the same?

I have not changed the cable, and Thank You All for the feedback. Very helpful.

If the public charger I was using this morning was at 3.6 would the car switch too?
Willing to post the location so we can take a look?

For example, https://www.chargepoint.com/businesses/stations/ct4000 has https://mynissanleaf.com/threads/chargepoint-ct4000-share-one-40a-circuit-with-2-chargers.13727/. If a dual handle CT4000 only has a single 40 amp feed (30 amp max load) and the other side is plugged in, the available power to each side will be cut in half.

Years later, ChargePoint introduced https://www.chargepoint.com/blog/charge-more-evs-power-management (also see https://www.chargepoint.com/products/power-management-faq). So, it could be some fraction that isn't half. We had this turned on at my work for awhile (long story). The idea is great but the feature was super buggy (long story).

The charger is at the Watervliet Dome athletic club, Watervliet NY. Its a public gym. Chargepoint units.

I believe henrydehoja is correct in his post above. This discussion actually has nothing to do with public charger installations. It is about the charge time screen display on a gen 2 LEAF and how to select the appropriate charging configuration for estimating charging time.

Back