Official Toyota RAV4 EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mortisier said:
Just saw my first Rav 4 in Port Hadlock Washington. The owner had it delivered from Cali. after $10000 rebate and tax incentives, no sales tax and 0% interest it was a no brainer. I'm jealous!

No California sales tax since it was not registered there, but wouldn't Olympia impose WA state sales tax upon registration?

mortisier said:
Just saw my first Rav 4 in Port Hadlock Washington. The owner had it delivered from Cali. after $10000 rebate and tax incentives, no sales tax and 0% interest it was a no brainer. I'm jealous!
I am curious.. if the Washington Rav4EV owner doesn't live in California, how did he get the California tax incentive?

waidy said:
mortisier said:
I am curious.. if the Washington Rav4EV owner doesn't live in California, how did he get the California tax incentive?

He can't get the tax incentive without CA registration, in which case he will pay sales tax. Toyota's own pricing discount in certain parts of CA can be as much as $10k though I thought you had to reside in those areas to qualify for it. Cwerdna has noted that in his part of the state, Toyota's incentives for the RAV4 EV aren't nearly as good as in my neck of the woods.

RonDawg said:
mortisier said:

No California sales tax since it was not registered there, but wouldn't Olympia impose WA state sales tax upon registration?
I believe EVs are still exempt from WA sales and use tax. See http://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/laws/WA/tech/3253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

cwerdna said:
RonDawg said:
mortisier said:

I believe EVs are still exempt from WA sales and use tax. See http://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/laws/WA/tech/3253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
This is a post from the RAV4EV forum I did a while back....
***A quick guide for Washington State residents sales tax (use tax) exemption***

Maybe this should be its own thread.
Thanks to SeattleRAV4 and RichardC for their help :cool: :cool:

DOL........... Dept. of Licensing
DOR........... Dept. of Revenue
RCW 82.12.809.......... Revised code of Washington, 100% electric vehicle is exempt from 6.5% use tax and .3% motor vehicle tax.
Declaration of use tax..... A signed form from the DOR. Looks like this. http://www.pbase.com/doug401/image...e EV fine.. I mean fee of $100, and tab fees.

Official Rant:

I'm getting tired of constantly driving it to the dealership for 5000 mile checkups, plus the MULTITUDE of failures that I've had on the car. The ongoing and seemingly never to be fixed charge timer issue. The replacement (Tesla) motor that is now starting to make noise just like the last one. Heck, I only bought the car because of the Tesla drivetrain and big battery pack with TMS. Virtually EVERY Tesla supplied piece of hardware has been unbolted from my car so far. The heater failed. The charge port melted (I blame Blink/REMA for that one, though). The car currently has a "Check EV System" failure and has been in the shop all week, and probably next week, too.

The ride quality is not so smooth and the interior sucks for a $50k car. It's a phased out body style, and Toyota openly doesn't support EVs. No spare tire is just DUMB, too, but that seems to be the EV norm. 120 volt / 12 amp EVSE? Three miles per HOUR???? The same EVSE that Toyota uses in their 11 mile range Plug-In Prius (while Tesla supplies full 40 amp EVSE in their cars). Are you kidding me when there is onboard capabilty of a 40 amp / 277 volt charger? Yippee!! No DC quick charge option, even though Toyota is an official CHAdeMO member company.

Gas gauge that stops at 80% full??? What brain surgeon thought that made sense? A resistance heater in a $50k EV ???... even the LEAF at about 2/3 the price offers a heat pump. Poor implementation of charging station mapping (only works with internet connected smart phone with app running), plus it doesn't come close to what I can just find on PlugShare. No mention in the owner's manual about long term storage for the $36,000 retail price traction battery?

Plus, I always thought the Rav4's were girl cars.

Whoa! Sorry about your troubles. Thanks Tony for the info and your helpful as usual on the forum. We test drove the RAV4EV at a local dealership event awhile back and really liked it except that it didn't have a fast charging option and we really don't need a SUV. The faster on-board L2 charger, the TMS and the bigger battery pack for additional range were big attractions for us, especially if it had Tesla tech. But, a test drive doesn't give the day-to-day experience.

I am so happy that our neighbors are considering an EV to replace their Ford Escape. I mentioned to them the RAV4EV since they have 2 big dogs that they take to the ocean to swim daily, but I will need to caution them then. I would sure hate to bring on problems to them.

I've always been pretty amazed and grateful the LEAF has been reliable. Even with the 2013s, it's got room for improvements/options, but pretty awesome for a first-issue in 2011 and it's price point after incentives.

GoingGreener said:
I am so happy that our neighbors are considering an EV to replace their Ford Escape. I mentioned to them the RAV4EV since they have 2 big dogs that they take to the ocean to swim daily, but I will need to caution them then. I would sure hate to bring on problems to them.

The LEAF is not without MAJOR problems (battery in hot climates), but I certainly prefer that consumers know all the issues before spending big bucks.

I forgot to add no quick charging!!!

TonyWilliams said:
Official Rant:

I'm getting tired of constantly driving it to the dealership for 5000 mile checkups, plus the MULTITUDE of failures that I've had on the car. The ongoing and seemingly never to be fixed charge timer issue. The replacement (Tesla) motor that is now starting to make noise just like the last one. Heck, I only bought the car because of the Tesla drivetrain and big battery pack with TMS). Virtually EVERY Tesla supplied piece of hardware has been unbolted from my car so far. The heater failed. The charge port melted (I blame Blink/REMA for that one, though). The car currently has a "Check EV System" failure and has been in the shop all week, and probably next week, too.

The ride quality is not so smooth and the interior sucks for a $50k car. It's a phased out body style, and Toyota openly doesn't support EVs. No spare tire is just DUMB, too, but that seems to be the EV norm. 120 volt / 12 amp EVSE? Three miles per HOUR???? The same EVSE that Toyota uses in their 11 mile range Plug-In Prius (while Tesla supplies full 40 amp EVSE in their cars). Are you kidding me when there is onboard capabilty of a 40 amp / 277 volt charger? Yippee!! No DC quick charge option, even though Toyota is an official CHAdeMO member company.

Gas gauge that stops at 80% full??? What brain surgeon thought that made sense? A resistance heater in a $50k EV ???... even the LEAF at about 2/3 the price offers a heat pump. Poor implementation of charging station mapping (only works with internet connected smart phone with app running), plus it doesn't come close to what I can just find on PlugShare.

Plus, I always thought the Rav4's were girl cars.

thanks for the update Tony. like any car version 1.0, it has hiccups. I know a Tesla owner who loves his car but still has had the Tesla Tech out a few times and spent a few hours on the phone with telephone tech support and its over little stuff.

his door handle got stuck?? (not quite sure I understand what the problem is) window would not roll up, heater works randomly, etc. but he is an adventuresome guy with a lot of energy to investigate causes, install mods, etc (he was also an early Prius owner)

not sure that Toyota will be as proactive with fixes as Tesla and Nissan have been (albeit a bit slowly at times...) with their planned volumes. still disappointed in Toyota though for not doing better in the EV arena. they earned a lot of brownie points with me with the Prius but they have really lost some status here.

evnow said:
Has any out of state owners of RAV4EV had any issues so far ?

The charge timer thing is universal, so yes. The motor noise is hit and miss. This problem is shared with the Model S, for those keeping score.

Since Tesla is sending their techs to the car frequently, obviously they can fly to Seattle easier than driving to Yreka, California... if that's what you're asking.

evnow said:

having been kinda waiting for an issue just to see how much of a hassle it would be for the out of state (CA) owner to deal with any issues but nothing so far. only really have occasional FB contact with 2 owners in WA and not even sure how forth coming they would be about issues. neither was ever a very active participant

evnow said:

Not on my end. The motor is noisier than the Leaf, but less so than the Tesla Roadster or Think City. I think some are using this fact to get the motor replaced, but I think that may be an over reaction. I like the audible feedback as I zip around in what is the fastest car that I have ever owned.

I am overdue for my 5K service, but it is just a tire rotation and brake check so am going to skip bringing it to the dealership. All the scheduled maintenance is like that so you won't see me at the dealership unless there is something catastrophic. Just another benefit of driving electric.

I am very sorry to hear all the troubles that some of Rav4ians have experienced. I have to say, I am fortunate that both of my Rav4EVs and Model S work great and did not see any of the problem some of you are having. As of this week, my Model S is close to 9000 miles, one of the Rav is 8000+ miles, and the other is 4000+ miles. I agree on the mis-behaviors on the Rav4EV schedule time charge, and the lack of QC/DC port.

Perhaps, may I suggest, that you hold Toyota responsible by getting a new replacement of a Rav4EV that only limited to the schedule time charge problem and lack of QC/DC port?

It does seem like Tony should be able to get a new one through Lemon Law at this point.

I'm 4K miles in on mine and haven't had any issue besides a funny moment when it didn't want to shift into drive out of reverse, but turned it off, turned it back on, and voila. Charge timer issue is aggravating.

Like Reeler, I'm happy with the RAV and like he said, it's really fast.

reeler said:
I think some are using this fact to get the motor replaced, but I think that may be an over reaction.

Toyota / Tesla are just handing out new motors for "our" (well, me, actually) over reaction? Really?

Did you ever drive my car? I got the feedback right through the steering wheel, and it got louder and louder. If you've determined what's wrong (or apparently not wrong) through some ESP exercise, congrats. Clearly, the actual trained mechanics who actually work on my car can't know anything.

I guess the Model S cars with the same problem are also delusional and over reacting.

jspearman said:
It does seem like Tony should be able to get a new one through Lemon Law at this point.

You know, I've never had them even work on the non-charging timer issue with my car. There's too many other issues.

I do like the car, though. It does give me a pause about my upcoming Model S, since most of these broken things are from Tesla. The dumb choices like a 3 mile per hour EVSE on a car with a 140 mile range (yes, Virginia, it will show over 50 hours for a full charge on 120 volts!!) and the 80% fuel gauge are all Toyota.

DaveinOlyWA said:
TonyWilliams said:
Official Rant:

I'm getting tired of constantly driving it to the dealership for 5000 mile checkups, plus the MULTITUDE of failures that I've had on the car. ...

thanks for the update Tony. like any car version 1.0, it has hiccups. I know a Tesla owner who loves his car but still has had the Tesla Tech out a few times and spent a few hours on the phone with telephone tech support and its over little stuff.

his door handle got stuck?? (not quite sure I understand what the problem is) window would not roll up, heater works randomly, etc. but he is an adventuresome guy with a lot of energy to investigate causes, install mods, etc (he was also an early Prius owner)
Sorry to hear about your troubles, Tony. Hats off to you and the other early adopters for being guinea pigs.

As for the door handle issues on the Model S, I've read reports of all sorts of random door related issues along the lines of the outside door handles not extending or retracting (?) when they should along w/doors opening by themselves. IIRC, some folks had "resolved" (?) their door handle issues by removing and re-inserting fuses. I believe some folks actually had loose fuses vs. it being a "reset" by cutting and re-applying power. Hopefully someone who hangs out more on "TMC" can correct me if I'm wrong.

I have seen threads like http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/15383-First-problem-rear-door-glass-stuck-open" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; re: power window failures. The reports of Model S power window failures so early on aren't very reassuring.

Out of the 7 cars between my parents and myself that we own/owned w/power windows (a mix of Nissans and Toyotas), only 2 have ever developed power window trouble: a 91 Camry (power wire eventually broke in the driver's door, causing a window to not work, fixed for cheap. Right before I sold it in early 02, another window stopped working) and my 04 350Z (both motors and regulators failed, were replaced under the 3 year/36K basic warranty, never failed again before I sold it in 2011). The oldest of the bunch that we still have are ~10, 7 and 5 years old.

For others, here's an excerpt of what I posted at http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4473#p4473" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
As for between Toyota and Tesla, Toyota has FAR more experience w/making reliable cars and systems than Tesla. I own a Toyota. My parents have owned a few, one of which was handed down to me.

If you hang out on http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/forumdisplay.php/73-Model-S" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and look thru http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/10398-Model-S-Technical-Mechanical-Issues" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, you don't get really warm and fuzzy feelings about Tesla reliability. Some of problems like the windshield stress cracks some Model S cars experience is troubling, if in fact they aren't due to chipping. They also have some self-inflicted design issues (e.g. door handles that extend and retract are more points of failures and have failed for people, shiny door handles being too hot to touch w/the sun beating down on them, etc.).

To quote from http://priuschat.com/threads/prius-brake-recall-%C3%A2%E2%82%AC%E2%80%9C-a-little-more-information.76158/page-2#post-1061546" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; regarding forums from the former Prius Product Manager (a marketing person):
Me and Erica? We're "just Marketing" people perusing the boards. Our ability to collect information from owners here is limited to qualitative data - quantitative is either impossible or very unreliable, and therefore not suitable for satisfying regulatory requirements. It's much better for things like "do I need a third cupholder in the front?" and much worse for things like "my car doesn't feel like it's braking right." So is this statement CYA? If that's the term you prefer, ok.
I think I pointed to the post I made at http://priuschat.com/threads/entune-class-action-suit-anyone.111550/#post-1589545" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and the stuff I linked to before.

It'll be very interesting to see if Consumer Reports gets enough respondents from Model S owners to be able to assign it a reliability rating. Assuming folks answer honestly, my gut feel so far is that it'll be below average.
I also posted a followup at http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4492#p4492" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I'm sure Tesla can and probably will learn but they just don't have the experience of others that have been making cars for 50+ years, esp. those who have been making mostly reliable cars for at least 25+ years.

Back