Official Toyota RAV4 EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the remote heat or air conditioner turn on. You can't pick the temperature on this one, either:

E0062284-5ABE-4EC9-AD63-5B220ABA76F7-753-000000C9D181DE30.jpg

TonyWilliams said:
Yes, Virginia, it still goes 130 miles (from 100% "extended" charge). Here's today's drive to the downtown office, lunch, and return. The same trip was done last week (with an added stop at doctor) that brought the LEAF home @ LBW:
Only four out of 16 bars to go 56 miles? Nice!

surfingslovak said:
TonyWilliams said:
Yes, Virginia, it still goes 130 miles (from 100% "extended" charge). Here's today's drive to the downtown office, lunch, and return. The same trip was done last week (with an added stop at doctor) that brought the LEAF home @ LBW:
Only four out of 16 bars to go 56 miles? Nice!

Ya, like I said, truncated at the top. I suspect that the 80% "normal" charge would have dropped 8 of the 16 bars to go the 55 miles it was driven today. This drive averaged 2.9 miles/kWh, 70-75 mph down the freeway, some stop and go traffic, and a small amount of city driving in downtown.

When they say a 100 mile car, they really mean 100 miles from 80%. The range/extended/100% charge really isn't accounted for in the fuel gauge. I'm not so sure I like it, but I do like it WAY better than the overall LEAF GOM/invisible fuel bar scenario. I would prefer that the 80% charge just show 13/16 bars, similar to LEAF.

Did I mention that the GOM never bounces around? It is VERY well done, which just goes to show how bad the Nissan unit is, and how it can be done.

TonyWilliams said:
Ya, like I said, truncated at the top. I suspect that the 80% "normal" charge would have dropped 8 of the 16 bars to go the 55 miles it was driven today. This drive averaged 2.9 miles/kWh, 70-75 mph down the freeway, some stop and go traffic, and a small amount of city driving in downtown.

When they say a 100 mile car, they really mean 100 miles from 80%. The range/extended/100% charge really isn't accounted for in the fuel gauge. I'm not so sure I like it, but I do like it WAY better than the overall LEAF GOM/invisible fuel bar scenario. I would prefer that the 80% charge just show 13/16 bars, similar to LEAF.

Did I mention that the GOM never bounces around? It is VERY well done, which just goes to show how bad the Nissan unit is, and how it can be done.
Ah, thanks for explaining that again. It sounds like the RAV has hidden range at the top on a full charge, just like the Leaf has hidden range at the bottom. Pretty clever. At least nobody can hit Toyota with a class action lawsuit because of misstated vehicle range and undisclosed 80% charging!

surfingslovak said:
TonyWilliams said:

Ah, thanks for explaining that again. It sounds like the RAV has hidden range at the top on a full charge, just like the Leaf has hidden range at the bottom. Pretty clever. At least nobody can hit Toyota with a class action lawsuit because of misstated vehicle range and undisclosed 80% charging!
I also found the 2002 RAV4-EV is the same, i.e. padding at the top and padding at the bottom.

Tony -

I didn't see it in the earlier posts but, if you don't mind, did you trade your leaf? If so, what did you get for it (again if you don't mind). Always been curious about trade value...

-J

aries said:
Tony -

I didn't see it in the earlier posts but, if you don't mind, did you trade your leaf? If so, what did you get for it (again if you don't mind). Always been curious about trade value...

-J

$22k trade in, 2012 LEAF with 10,700 miles.

2t3yl4dv5cw001023-1.jpg

was looking at the place tony bought his from,
i see they have another one for sale

http://www.mossytoyota.com/new-San+Diego-2012-Toyota-RAV4+EV-Base-2T3YL4DV5CW001023?#tabs-4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

so with a vin number of "2" these are made in the USA? i think i may want one now.

toasty said:
was looking at the place tony bought his from,
i see they have another one for sale

http://www.mossytoyota.com/new-San+Diego-2012-Toyota-RAV4+EV-Base-2T3YL4DV5CW001023?#tabs-4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

so with a vin number of "2" these are made in the USA? i think i may want one now.

The very first letter or number of the VIN tells you in what region of the world your vehicle was made. Match the letter or number below to the first number or letter of your VIN to find out in what region of the world your VIN was made.

A, B, C, D, E, F, G, and H are made in Africa
J, K, L, M, N, P, and R are made Asia
S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, and Z are made in Europe
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 are made in North America 2T= Canada
6 and 7 are made in Oceania
8 and 9 are made in South America

toasty said:

Grrrr, you can't get one. My wife really likes the RAV4 as well and we would quite possibly have one if they are sold here in MN when we are next car shopping. Toyota is selling 2600 of them in 'select cities in California'.
Hopefully they will expand on that soon. But your best bet will probably be the Tesla Model X in about a year.

Zythryn said:
toasty said:

Grrrr, you can't get one. My wife really likes the RAV4 as well and we would quite possibly have one if they are sold here in MN when we are next car shopping. Toyota is selling 2600 of them in 'select cities in California'.
Hopefully they will expand on that soon. But your best bet will probably be the Tesla Model X in about a year.

This comes up a lot. Call them, cut a deal, have it shipped. The worst case scenario, you fly down to beautiful SoCal in the winter from some snow covered, cold place to make the deal and get it shipped.

If you really wanted a very limited production car like this, you'd go get it. It's not in a third world country, or even a place that requires import duties, etc. The same currency is used as those cold states.

TonyWilliams said:
If you really wanted a very limited production car like this, you'd go get it. It's not in a third world country, or even a place that requires import duties, etc. The same currency is used as those cold states.
The original RAV4 EV was shipped all over the country. I know of two in sunny Florida, far away from CARB and its regulations!

TonyWilliams said:
Zythryn said:
toasty said:

This comes up a lot. Call them, cut a deal, have it shipped. The worst case scenario, you fly down to beautiful SoCal in the winter from some snow covered, cold place to make the deal and get it shipped.

Question, what about when he has a warranty/repair issue in Mn, will the Toyota dealer have a trained tech to fix or what will happen then. Just a thought, inquiring minds want to know. Lol

Ian B

so it DOES work fine with a nissan dealers L2? just not the nissan L1 120v correct?

and i guess my other issue would be, what happens i buy this from CA, bring it back to GA, who can fix it? lol

and does buying it in CA come with the 150k mile warranty?

MrIanB said:
Question, what about when he has a warranty/repair issue in Mn, will the Toyota dealer have a trained tech to fix or what will happen then. Just a thought, inquiring minds want to know. Lol
Easy! Toyota will send affected owners in far-away states a letter stating that everything was Normal(TM) ;-)

For those interested, Hamer Toyota in Missions Hills near me is offering a discount off of msrp and also has a rental available. They had three available for sale when I talked to them last week, one in each (non-fleet) color...

The graph below, from pg 14 of this thread, looks interesting, and nicer than anything on the LEAF. I see that "E" is a unit of 30 Wh, vs the 80 Wh of a Gid. Can you set the graph to display more than 15 min ? Are the orange bars Mi/kWh, and the "E"s a separate histogram ? Does the graph display both positive and negative (regen) power ?

TonyWilliams said:
This morning's drive after a "range mode" charge (100% in LEAF speak):

4ABB5C06-57EB-4135-BC97-384AE0DCB58B-9180-00000581855E0CE7.jpg

tbleakne said:
The graph below, from pg 14 of this thread, looks interesting, and nicer than anything on the LEAF. I see that "E" is a unit of 30 Wh, vs the 80 Wh of a Gid. Can you set the graph to display more than 15 min ? Are the orange bars Mi/kWh, and the "E"s a separate histogram ? Does the graph display both positive and negative (regen) power ?
It looks similar to what's been provided on Priuses (and other Toyota hybrids) for ages (http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1224" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for examples). The bars always were mileage in mpg (or whatever is appropriate for the region). We got green cars (partial or full ones) w/full ones representing 50 Wh regenerated.

(The reason for the different styles of display at the above URL is that the 04-05 used a lower res display w/old graphics. 06-09 Priuses could have a higher res newer display w/new higher res graphics. The pics are a mix of the old and new style.)

The Altima Hybrid w/nav system has similar displays.

I test drove the rav yesterday and I may pick one up tomorrow. I really liked it I can't wait to see what kind of miles per kilowatt I can stretch out of it.

Back