Official Tesla Model Y Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The standard range, RWD, Model Y is now available for ordering:

The seven seat interior (third row seating) is also now available as a $3000 option.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/early-pictures-third-row-tesla-180657469.html

There are some funny replies about the rear seats at https://twitter.com/Tesla/status/1347673670894800898?s=20 like these:
https://twitter.com/kyle_sand/status/1347674815440699393?s=20
https://twitter.com/kylealden/status/1347675790410829824?s=20
https://twitter.com/TeslaForLife/status/1347682730314657792?s=20

The first link seems to be all stuff about people getting rich, and that depressed me. So I'll start on the rearmost seats: They are for when your two medium-sized dogs would like to be alone together. I hope it comes with a privacy curtain. Wait: why would it? Dogs have no conception of privacy...

dgpcolorado said:
danrjones said:
So where is the promised long range RWD?
The LR RWD has apparently been cancelled and those who ordered it are being asked to choose another variant: SR RWD or LR AWD.

Telslarati: Tesla cancels Model Y Long Range RWD variant, honors FSD price from pre-order date

I'd guess that there weren't enough orders to justify designing and building the LR RWD version. Nevertheless, this information is currently unconfirmed and based on anecdotal reports.

I think it's confirmed now. Too bad. More range and lower price is a good thing.

Finally rode in the Model Y this week. The car did have a more premium feel, even if basic in function. Seats were comfortable, though not at a great seating angle in the passenger front side. Ride was comfortable.

The screen felt smaller then I thought. Not sure why I felt that way. Now that you can stream video via Android auto and with Google maps, ABRP,.etc, though the Leaf screen is smaller, it doesn't feel functionally that much less valuable...I guess unless your playing video games in your car...which I don't.

Backseat didn't seem (except middle) any more spacious than the Leaf, but as our kids move out that matters less. I didn't try to measure though.

I am sure it is a great car to drive..I just wrestle with is it 2x as good. It's a big jump going from a 23K or 30K car to a 55K car. I hate the payment I still have on our first Plus. I couldn't stomach doubling it.

I get such a great satisfaction driving around in my S+ at 6 miles/kWh in summer knowing it meets all of my driving needs. I don't know I would feel any better if sitting in a Y, though my bank account and credit score would feel less good.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Finally rode in the Model Y this week. The car did have a more premium feel, even if basic in function. Seats were comfortable, though not at a great seating angle in the passenger front side. Ride was comfortable.

The screen felt smaller then I thought. Not sure why I felt that way. Now that you can stream video via Android auto and with Google maps, ABRP,.etc, though the Leaf screen is smaller, it doesn't feel functionally that much less valuable...I guess unless your playing video games in your car...which I don't.

Backseat didn't seem (except middle) any more spacious than the Leaf, but as our kids move out that matters less. I didn't try to measure though.

I am sure it is a great car to drive..I just wrestle with is it 2x as good. It's a big jump going from a 23K or 30K car to a 55K car. I hate the payment I still have on our first Plus. I couldn't stomach doubling it.

I get such a great satisfaction driving around in my S+ at 6 miles/kWh in summer knowing it meets all of my driving needs. I don't know I would feel any better if sitting in a Y, though my bank account and credit score would feel less good.

VW had a great opp to really hit the Y market but their result is less than stellar. Considering the price difference, they will still do well but some of the decisions VW made are simply strange. Right now, they have the edge only due to the tax credit. Without that, the price difference (still significant to me) becomes less of a factor

DaveinOlyWA said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

<snip>

VW had a great opp to really hit the Y market but their result is less than stellar. Considering the price difference, they will still do well but some of the decisions VW made are simply strange. Right now, they have the edge only due to the tax credit. Without that, the price difference (still significant to me) becomes less of a factor

I expect that the ID.4 and even more (assuming they're priced similar to it) the Ionic 5/EV6 will suck up a lot of the Model Y's market.

Could be. The top trim (Ultimate) LR AWD Ionic 5 is £39,588.33 ($54,027.18) base before VAT in the UK. The mid-trim Premium with the same battery and AWD (I believe) is £37,088.33 ($50,615.37). We'll have to see what they do here.

DaveinOlyWA said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
Many are guessing that the Ionic5 will be very similarly priced (with awd and high trim) to the Y.

with full tax credit.

I have an Ioniq 5 reservation, and Hyundai finally reached out to me to share some online video tours coming up, and ask about my order details. But my response was that I can't confirm trim level without a spec sheet and prices. They answered that they understood, and that could be finalized later. Based on rumors and such, I think the lowest trim level will start around 47-49k. Not sure if they will have option packages, or just three trims. *IF* I do order it, it would almost have to be the bottom trim. My wife prefers the look of the Etron Q4 - which i agree, looks nice - and rumor is that the bottom trim for it will start at 45k. But Audi tends to love option packages, so until I can see the prices and specs sheets, hard to compare. If I'm right, the Q4 could start cheaper than the Ioniq 5. T.B.D.

danrjones said:
My wife prefers the look of the Etron Q4
And the panache, right ?
Perhaps you can buy the Audi emblem and stick it on a better EV ?

Why is the ID.4 out of the running ?

SageBrush said:
danrjones said:
My wife prefers the look of the Etron Q4
And the panache, right ?
Perhaps you can buy the Audi emblem and stick it on a better EV ?

Why is the ID.4 out of the running ?

You know I asked her if just the badge would work. Nope.

She thinks the interior of the ID4 is ugly, I can't say I disagree. The center screen sticking up just isn't my style.
Plus the reviews on VW's software haven't been kind.

To me, $ matters most, so nothing is out of the running until the deal is done.

danrjones said:
You know I asked her if just the badge would work. Nope.

ARRRGGGHHHH. Now why did you do that !?
You put her in the impossible position of agreeing to a fake. It's like telling her that her diamond ring is plastic.

For someone who is married to a status seeker, you have the insight of an engineer. :geek: :lol:

danrjones said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
Many are guessing that the Ionic5 will be very similarly priced (with awd and high trim) to the Y.

with full tax credit.

I have an Ioniq 5 reservation, and Hyundai finally reached out to me to share some online video tours coming up, and ask about my order details. But my response was that I can't confirm trim level without a spec sheet and prices. They answered that they understood, and that could be finalized later. Based on rumors and such, I think the lowest trim level will start around 47-49k. Not sure if they will have option packages, or just three trims. *IF* I do order it, it would almost have to be the bottom trim. My wife prefers the look of the Etron Q4 - which i agree, looks nice - and rumor is that the bottom trim for it will start at 45k. But Audi tends to love option packages, so until I can see the prices and specs sheets, hard to compare. If I'm right, the Q4 could start cheaper than the Ioniq 5. T.B.D.

At least in the UK, the bottom trim isn't offered with AWD (or the big pack, but we know that'll be the only one on offer here), only the middle and top trims. I forget, but (given your Outback) didn't you want that?

Back