Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomT said:
Interesting article on battery technology patents files by Tesla.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1083705_will-future-tesla-electric-cars-use-metal-air-batteries" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That is absolutely genius!

So they can build a car with a 100 or 150 mile range, plus this technology. Day to day, you never use the aluminum plates unless its an emergency. For long road trips, they make the aluminum plates user swappable and sell them at supercharger stations. Supercharge, swap out the plates, add the water and drive another 300+ miles.

I suppose it's worth mentioning that just because a company files a patent, that does not indicate in any way that they have the intention to use the technology or even necessarily develop it beyond proof-of-concept.

There is an entire class of patents that exist solely for the purpose of cockblocking other companies. There is even an entire class of patents that exist solely for the purpose of extorting money out of companies. Then there is this type of patent which seems little more than marking one's territory and filling space on a corporate CV.
=Smidge=

I think the metal-air battery is a better way to get a range extender than using an engine.
"Phinergy" in the UK is also developing this,and has already developed a proof of concept test car.

If this can "solve" people's range anxiety issues, and allow EV adoption much sooner, I say go for it.

Smidge204 said:
I suppose it's worth mentioning that just because a company files a patent, that does not indicate in any way that they have the intention to use the technology or even necessarily develop it beyond proof-of-concept.

There is an entire class of patents that exist solely for the purpose of cockblocking other companies. There is even an entire class of patents that exist solely for the purpose of extorting money out of companies. Then there is this type of patent which seems little more than marking one's territory and filling space on a corporate CV.
=Smidge=

+1 hence my comment. Wonder why several major battery patents are held by oil companies?

Well Tesla is doing very well in my zip code. I am regularly seeing six to eight Model S each day. Have now seen every color except the new red. It's funny to me because I don't see as many LEAFs as I do Teslas now. It's all good and I smile each time I see an EV.

mitch672 said:
I think the metal-air battery is a better way to get a range extender than using an engine.
"Phinergy" in the UK is also developing this,and has already developed a proof of concept test car.

If this can "solve" people's range anxiety issues, and allow EV adoption much sooner, I say go for it.
On the note of Phinergy, I made a post about it at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=276741#p276741" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; last month.

TRONZ said:
Well Tesla is doing very well in my zip code. I am regularly seeing six to eight Model S each day. Have now seen every color except the new red. It's funny to me because I don't see as many LEAFs as I do Teslas now. It's all good and I smile each time I see an EV.
Well, none in my neck of the woods, but thirty or forty miles up the road in Seattle/Eastside, they are multiplying like rabbits.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/creating-world%E2%80%99s-best-service-and-warranty-program-0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

April 26, 2013
Creating the World’s Best Service and Warranty Program

* Unconditional warranty for Model S battery, even for user error
* Fully loaded Model S Performance 85 cars or Tesla Roadsters as loaners
* Tesla will seamlessly valet the loaner cars to your location
* $600 annual service now optional with no effect on warranty

More details at link above.

scottf200 said:
* Unconditional warranty for Model S battery, even for user error
* Fully loaded Model S Performance 85 cars or Tesla Roadsters as loaners
* Tesla will seamlessly valet the loaner cars to your location
* $600 annual service now optional with no effect on warranty
Well, I for one feel a wee bit conned. When Tesla announced pre-paid service plans, we had thirty days to opt in for annual checks at $475. I and many others did.

Annual checks are probably a good idea, but it would have been nice to know the warranty requirement had been dropped, or was going to be dropped. :(

There are terms in the contract that allow you to cancel at no cost within 31 days, partial refund thereafter. I'm just a tad over that myself, so I've put in a request to find out if I can cancel entirely. I bet they'll let you... I'll let you know what I hear back.

https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/na_tesla_service_plan_agreement_sp.pdf said:
J. Cancellation by Customer
To cancel this Agreement, You must mail it to Tesla, along with a notarized affidavit that states the
mileage on Your Vehicle at the date of Your cancellation request. The right to cancel this Agreement is
not transferrable by You and shall apply only to the original Agreement purchaser. The amount of Your
refund is subject to the following:
(a) Within First 31 Days
– Without Claim: You may cancel Your Agreement within the first 31 days
of the Agreement Purchase Date and receive a full refund provided that You are the original
Agreement purchaser and have not filed a claim.
(b) A ten percent penalty
per month shall be added to any applicable refund that is not made within 46 days of return of the Agreement and notarized affidavit to Tesla.

EDIT: There's a footnote that says it's 60 days in California. Cool...

I've had this in open browser tabs for a little while and meant to post them. I'm cleaning up and just putting this thread out there. The temps seem high and are from TMC forum. Diagnostic screens: (as I recall some service tech left them in that state - tech did NOT show anyone how to get to these screens)

attachment.php

IMG_0877.JPG

For those who opted in for the now free services, Tesla has said that those customers will get free hardware upgrades (like adaptive cruise control) as they become available. So, it actually might turn out to be a better deal!

ebill3 said:
Well, I for one feel a wee bit conned. When Tesla announced pre-paid service plans, we had thirty days to opt in for annual checks at $475. I and many others did.

TomT said:
For those who opted in for the now free checks and maintenance, Tesla has said that those customers will get free hardware upgrades (like adaptive cruise control) as they become available. So, it actually might turn out to be a better deal!
TomT, what is the "now free checks and maintenance"? Do you mean we don't have to pay $600/12.5K miles visit?

waidy said:
TomT said:
For those who opted in for the now free checks and maintenance, Tesla has said that those customers will get free hardware upgrades (like adaptive cruise control) as they become available. So, it actually might turn out to be a better deal!
TomT, what is the "now free checks and maintenance"? Do you mean we don't have to pay $600/12.5K miles visit?
I don't think they ever said the checks and maintenance were free. What they said was they're not required to maintain your warranty any longer. Before, if you didn't do them, Tesla would void your warranty. Now they won't. But if you want the checks and maintenance, you certainly still have to pay for them. It's not clear at this point-in-time (to me anyway) if software and/or hardware upgrades will still be available without the maintenance and/or service plan...

Apparently some folks paid something like $800 for maintenance that is now free. Since there is now no cost for that, they get the hardware upgrade instead. This I was told by my coworker who has a 4 week old Tesla and who purchased the pre-paid plan...

waidy said:

TomT said:
Apparently some folks paid something like $800 for maintenance that is now free. Since there is now no cost for that, they get the hardware upgrade instead. This I was told by my coworker who has a 4 week old Tesla and who purchased the pre-paid plan...

Not quite accurate, Tom.

The "annual maintenance check" was originally $600, every 12,500 miles.
There was a 4 year pre-paid plan for $1,900 that covered you for 4 years or 50,000 miles.
It represented a $500 discount over paying for the maint checks annually ($600 * 4)

What Elon said was, it is no longer required to keep your warranty intact, doesn't mean you shouldn't get it. Some drivers are low mileage, might only drive 12,500 miles in 2 years (some are high mileage and where put off when they where going to be forced to pay $600 every 12,500 miles) in that case you would probably get the maint check every 24 months (low mileage driver), high mileage drivers should probably still do it yearly.. There are other reasons to go to the service center as well, mainly upgrades that where mentioned, and rotating your tires, but anyone can rotate tires or you can do it at home if you have the equipment. I think upgrades will be done during the paid annual checkup, there are limits to what is reasonable to ask from Tesla.

Back