Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GaslessInSeattle said:
evnow said:
Elephanthead said:
Most L3 chargers are capable of adding a SAE connector in addition to the CHAdeMO. That is if there is ever a car that can connect to it with a battery big enough to quick charge.
And there is someone willing to fund the upgrade. Certainly for a long time there won't be a business case that can be made for the upgrades.

I doubt that will stop Blink. as soon as there is federal funding available for the upgrade they will probably start a whole new round of testing, with us being the lab rats and them getting the easy cash...

Blink has already asked for this next scam, for the taxpayer to fund converting their DC CHAdeMO chargers to dual CHAdeMO / Frankenplug units.

drees said:
Well, with only a 40 kWh pack, you can equip the car with the twin-chargers and charge at 20 kW which should refill fast enough for occasional 200mi trips with a suitably long lunch stop.

You're just not going to find many 80 amp places to charge to get that 20kW.

Expect more typical public 208v / 30 amp service your long lunch stop, or about 20 additional miles per each hour charging.

drees said:
Well, with only a 40 kWh pack, you can equip the car with the twin-chargers and charge at 20 kW which should refill fast enough for occasional 200mi trips with a suitably long lunch stop.

at what price? cant say that is a viable option. its not like Tesla is going to do it for you.

DaveinOlyWA said:
drees said:

at what price? cant say that is a viable option. its not like Tesla is going to do it for you.
Yes, they will. It's an available option for $1,500. Don't confuse this with the supercharger option, which isn't available on he 40kWh pack.

Oh ya, got me there. So this tesla would be using 2 charging stations publicly? With the large increase in EV sales expected this year, that might not be a popular option
GeekEV said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
drees said:

Yes, they will. It's an available option for $1,500. Don't confuse this with the supercharger option, which isn't available on he 40kWh pack.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Oh ya, got me there. So this tesla would be using 2 charging stations publicly? ...

No, the chargers are built into the car are simply allow charging through the on port at 20kW rather than 10kW.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Oh ya, got me there. So this tesla would be using 2 charging stations publicly? With the large increase in EV sales expected this year, that might not be a popular option

No, just 1 charging station. With a single charger the Model S will charge at 40a with 2 it will charge at 80a. 1 charging station and 1 charge port just double the speed.

But there aren't a ton of high-amp charging stations out there (80A is max for J1772). I sprung for it anyway, why not? Maybe one day there will be.

Thanks to DaveinOlyWA for posting this elsewhere.

One More Time: Tesla Versus Dealer Association, Texas Style: http://insideevs.com/one-more-time-tesla-versus-dealer-association-texas-style/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

This is pretty hilarious given how many dealers seem to have a lack of knowledge of the cars they're selling (not just Nissan). I've heard numerous similar stories about Toyota dealers when it comes to the Prius...
The Texas dealership association has their own opinions why Tesla should not be allowed to sell or service cars in Texas:

“The best way for any manufacturer to retail their vehicles is through great dealers. They’re the ones who know how to retail, who know how to satisfy the customers, and they’re the ones who should be selling the product…To think you should have an exception because you have one electric vehicle is arrogant,” while adding that other OEMs have been working on EVs “for a long time.”
I didn't realize the barriers in TX were so bad.

The Texas dealership association has their own opinions why Tesla should not be allowed to sell or service cars in Texas:

“The best way for any manufacturer to retail their vehicles is through great dealers. They’re the ones who know how to retail, who know how to satisfy the customers, and they’re the ones who should be selling the product…To think you should have an exception because you have one electric vehicle is arrogant,” while adding that other OEMs have been working on EVs “for a long time.”

Apparently, Texas dealers don't believe this is a free country.

^^^
No kidding.

I stumbled across http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/15320-Texas-Legislative-update-Please-help-out-if-you-live-in-Texas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which has more details.

GeekEV said:

Seems all the 60's are coming with SC option which can be enabled at a later date by adding $$. I wonder if the new "40's" have it in there as well?
I wish Nissan had such an "Easter Egg" in the LEAF pack. You know, send them a check for $2k and they enable a hidden 12kWh of capacity.

http://www.teslamotors.com/about/press/releases/tesla-model-s-sales-exceed-target
TESLA MODEL S SALES EXCEED TARGET
PROFITABILITY GUIDANCE AMENDED UPWARD; 40 KWH BATTERY CANCELLED

SUNDAY, MARCH 31, 2013
Tesla Motors announced today that sales of its Model S vehicle exceeded the target provided in the mid-February shareholder letter. As customers who note their Model S serial number this weekend will realize, vehicle deliveries (sales) exceeded 4,750 units vs. the 4,500 unit prior outlook. As a result, Tesla is amending its Q1 guidance to full profitability, both GAAP and non-GAAP.

“I am incredibly proud of the Tesla team for their outstanding work. There have been many car startups over the past several decades, but profitability is what makes a company real. Tesla is here to stay and keep fighting for the electric car revolution,” said Elon Musk, Tesla Motors co-founder and CEO. “I would also like to thank our customers for their passionate support of the company and the car. Without them, we would not be here.”

Also being announced today is that the small battery option for the Model S will not enter production, due to lack of demand. Only four percent of customers chose the 40 kWh battery pack, which is not enough to justify production of that version. Customers are voting with their wallet that they want a car that gives them the freedom to travel long distances when needed.

The customers who ordered this option will instead receive the 60 kWh pack, but range will be software limited to 40 kWh. It will still have the improved acceleration and top speed of the bigger pack, so will be a better product than originally ordered, and can be upgraded to the range of the 60 kWh upon request by the original or a future owner.

Tesla is also revealing a small Easter egg today: all 60 kWh cars have been and will be built with Supercharger hardware included. Tesla is taking a slight cost risk that ultimately all customers will want to buy the Supercharger upgrade and receive unlimited, free long distance travel for life. Even for those that never drive long distances, this will improve the resale value of their car to people that do.

ABOUT TESLA

Tesla Motors' (NASDAQ: TSLA) goal is to accelerate the world’s transition to electric mobility with a full range of increasingly affordable electric cars. California-based Tesla designs and manufactures EVs, as well as EV powertrain components for partners such as Toyota and Daimler. Tesla has delivered almost 10,000 electric vehicles to customers in 31 countries.

Interested in keeping up with Tesla Motors?
For more information on Tesla Motors and its products, please visit: teslamotors.com
For more information for Tesla Motors investors, please visit: ir.teslamotors.com
For the latest information from Tesla Motors, including press releases and the Tesla blog, please visit: teslamotors.com/press

Forward-Looking Statement
Certain statements in this press release, including statements regarding the expected profitability of the company, the availability of vehicle features and options and the Supercharger network, are “forward-looking statements” that are subject to risks and uncertainties. These forward-looking statements are based on management’s current expectations, and as a result of certain risks and uncertainties, actual results may differ materially from those projected. Various important factors could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements, including the risks and uncertainties identified under the sections captioned “Risk Factors” and “Management’s Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results Of Operations” in Tesla’s Form 10-K filed on March 7, 2013. Tesla disclaims any obligation to update information contained in these forward-looking statements.

Press Contact
[email protected]

PRESS CENTER
IMAGES AND B-ROLL
PRESS RELEASES
RECENT MEDIA COVERAGE
EXECUTIVES
INVESTORS
ROADSTER IMAGE GALLERY
MODEL S IMAGE GALLERY
TESLA BLOG
CONTACT TESLA COMMUNICATIONS:
[email protected]

Tesla has figured something out here that Nissan should make note of, that longer range is a high priority in the market, even at a hefty cost.

Interesting news indeed.

Does that also mean that all "40 kWh" cars will also include supercharger hardware? Will they stop adding supercharger hardware to 60 kWh cars in the future or will they simply include the hardware and just allow 60 kWh owners to enable supercharger access via software for a cost at a later date?

I'm wondering if they are going to fake the battery pack degradation on those software capacity-limited versions :) If not, those few lucky owners who choose not to pay the $$ to unlock the extra capacity likely won't see any degradation in like 10 years.

Back