Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[/quote]

I agree, many of the early reservists may not follow through. But, on the other hand, in the 3 weeks I have had my Model 3, at least ten people who took rides with me immediately made reservations. I don;t think Tesla has anything to worry about whether reservations are cancelled or not as once this car is seen around town and driven/riden by the general public, they will have orders up the kazoo! Once you ride in one. you'll get what I mean. Outside of other Tesla's this car is frickin' amazing.[/quote]

I have mentioned the car to about 10 people who have never even seen it, seven now recently made reservations. The funny think is there are so many people out there determined to nit pick silly points and try to invalidate the entire model. So many Tesla trolls it's amazing. Everything is a Tesla conspiracy yet Nissan intentionally screws customers in every way possible and does not even back their products yet those Nissan owners seem to ignore that point but rail hard on a car they don't even own.

5 things I Hate About My New Tesla Model 3 (these guys LOVE the car, BTW):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw95sVE8-bo[/youtube]

You have to use the touchscreen to open the glovebox. Really? So after a crash you may not be able to get your stuff out? Why?

I also wonder how many Tesla Model 3s will be crashed by distracted drivers trying to use the touchscreen to do regular driving tasks...

RegGuheert said:
5 things I Hate About My New Tesla Model 3 (these guys LOVE the car, BTW):

You have to use the touchscreen to open the glovebox. Really? So after a crash you may not be able to get your stuff out? Why?

I also wonder how many Tesla Model 3s will be crashed by distracted drivers trying to use the touchscreen to do regular driving tasks...

Assuming the 12V is cut to your 3 or any other Tesla you can't open the glove box and likely will be in shock anyway, this is not a 3 only issue. The distance and other things people site seem really petty, most people se the cruise distance and are done with it. Set it how you like it and then forget it. So far is see really minor complaints and the distance will likely be on voice soon which better overall.

EVDRIVER said:
Assuming the 12V is cut to your 3 or any other Tesla you can't open the glove box and likely will be in shock anyway, this is not a 3 only issue.
My understanding is that this is a bit different. In the S and the X, there is a button to open the glove box near the glove box, n'est pas? In that case, you need to cut 12V power to render the glovebox inaccessible. In the case of the Model 3, you don't need to cut 12V power, but rather you only need to lose access to the touchscreen. If that's broken or if the car is off, no glovebox access. I don't know about Tesla Model 3 drivers, but I know that I often access the glovebox in my cars when it is off.

At the end of the day, I ask myself this simple question: "What problem did Tesla solve by putting an actuator on the glovebox and then only allowing access through the touchscreen?" Perhaps it is all part of trying to eliminating a physical key while still allowing the glovebox to be locked. Frankly, it's an odd solution.
EVDRIVER said:
The distance and other things people site seem really petty, most people se the cruise distance and are done with it. Set it how you like it and then forget it. So far is see really minor complaints and the distance will likely be on voice soon which better overall.
Perhaps, but distracting the driver from driving to do important tasks will turn out to be NOT petty each and every time someone crashes as a result.

I do see one stalk on the steering wheel. (Are there more than one?) What functions ARE provided using physical switches in the Model 3?

RegGuheert said:
At the end of the day, I ask myself this simple question: "What problem did Tesla solve by putting an actuator on the glovebox and then only allowing access through the touchscreen?" Perhaps it is all part of trying to eliminating a physical key while still allowing the glovebox to be locked. Frankly, it's an odd solution.
At the beginning of the day, I ask myself if I'm limiting my thinking to what are current use cases. Perhaps they were thinking about long term and people borrowing, renting, self-driving taxi-ing, types of scenarios.

If it is software driven vs an extra button, perhaps they could make it automatically open when the rear camera neural network believes you were pulled over by a cop ... or to open automatically 30 seconds after a crash ... or ... you get it software based dynamic situations. Just a few thoughts.

scottf200 said:
At the beginning of the day, I ask myself if I'm limiting my thinking to what are current use cases. Perhaps they were thinking about long term and people borrowing, renting, self-driving taxi-ing, types of scenarios.
So it's designed for everything except what the typical vehicle owner wants/needs? Got it. There's what Elon wants and then there's what customers want.
scottf200 said:
If it is software driven vs an extra button, perhaps they could make it automatically open when the rear camera neural network believes you were pulled over by a cop ...
:lol: :lol: Clever! Look at the illegal concealed weapon and drug paraphernalia I keep in my drug, err, glove, box, ociffer!

scottf200 said:
RegGuheert said:

If it is software driven vs an extra button, perhaps they could make it automatically open when the rear camera neural network believes you were pulled over by a cop ... or to open automatically 30 seconds after a crash ... or ... you get it software based dynamic situations. Just a few thoughts.

This is correct. I fought some things on my S and then learned I was just not understanding how to use the new features. I kept wanting to manually set HVAC controls as I always did and then it was told to use auto and I learned it worked better that way. I tweak my distance on the car cruise but people that complain about this are tweaking it hundreds of times on a long trip, that's like adjusting your fan every 10 min, it's a self-taught bad habit. I see all the "big" complaints and mostly nonsense and the voice commands will likely surpass any issues. The glove box complaint is pure nonsense. So far I have not seen any real major issues. Also consider every single 3 ships will 8 cameras and all the software and hardware that a full autonomous 3 has even if you don't opt in. Anyone want to guess what a LEAF would cost with that level of hardware on board? The most dangerous drivers of a 3 will be people texting not the ones distracted by their touch screens. Luckily the car will save many lives in this case, I've already seen it avoid an accident in a friends S. Those that often need to open the glove box while in the driver seat or constantly mess with car lengths that are not safe should likely get off the road.

Clearly you have been assimilated when you will defend a dumb design choice that makes a very simple task more difficult or perhaps impossible in some cases.
EVDRIVER said:
Those that often need to open the glove box while in the driver seat or constantly mess with car lengths that are not safe should likely get off the road.
Straw man. No one said they wanted to "open the glove box while in the driver seat". Tesla enabled that, but no one said they wanted to do it. Just be sure to boot up the car first.

RegGuheert said:
Clearly you have been assimilated when you will defend a dumb design choice that makes a very simple task more difficult or perhaps impossible in some cases.
EVDRIVER said:
Those that often need to open the glove box while in the driver seat or constantly mess with car lengths that are not safe should likely get off the road.
Straw man. No one said they wanted to "open the glove box while in the driver seat". Tesla enabled that, but no one said they wanted to do it. Just be sure to boot up the car first.

Big deal. Most of the tings I use ofter are in the center consul, if this is a deal breaker for someone considering the car then that says quite a bit. I actually like that there is no button.

EVDRIVER said:
RegGuheert said:
Glove box compartment will not open X8:

Sorry, officer, but I cannot show you the registration for my expensive car because it will not let me in the glove box. Really!
X8? They are moving fast, faster than the sky is falling:)
Read the link. Eight people had the same problem, just in that link.

I guess if you have a Tesla Model 3, you should keep your insurance information somewhere other than in the glovebox.

gene said:
lpickup said:
EatsShootsandLeafs said:
I took heat for it from a tesla forum but I have been of the belief for a very long time that a massive percentage of reservations holders haven't and never were going to manifest into sales. Not because the car is bad or anything, but because putting down $1k refundable deposit represented no real effort..

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
I'll be surprised if even half of the original reservationists actually end up buying it.

Entirely reasonable assumption.

I'd probably go with about 60-70% of the original reservation holders end up buying it, but at that point we're somewhat splitting hairs. But since the number of original reservations were about 2X what everyone expected, a 50% uptake is actually not bad!

With the amount of data we have now, it really is hard to draw conclusions. Are we seeing deferrals because they are waiting for other options? Are we effectively seeing cancellations because the previous owner group put in their deposits "just because" and don't really need another Tesla at this time? Even once we start getting into the non-owner groups it will be tough to tell because you just don't know if they are waiting for some other option. But I do think that more recent reservation holders are probably a bit more serious about their reservations. And once the backlog does get down to something more manageable and there are more out there on the road the interest level will be sustaining.

But yes, I agree with your initial statement that the massive reservation list will not actually turn into that many sales.

I agree, many of the early reservists may not follow through. But, on the other hand, in the 3 weeks I have had my Model 3, at least ten people who took rides with me immediately made reservations. I don;t think Tesla has anything to worry about whether reservations are cancelled or not as once this car is seen around town and driven/riden by the general public, they will have orders up the kazoo! Once you ride in one. you'll get what I mean. Outside of other Tesla's this car is frickin' amazing.
Hmm, I can't say anybody ever had that impression after getting in my 2012 Leaf I had ;)

The glove box touch screen button is another obvious cost-cutting measure, like the absence of XM radio. They could easily have hidden a button or whatever, but nope, just do it in the screen.

I am reading tons and tons of complaints about the very finicky and unreliable phone interface to get the car opened and hope Tesla finally concedes they screwed that up, and they release a key fob.

RegGuheert said:
I read the link. There are people reporting problems with the glove box button in an X (and one person with an S) in 2016. Nothing to do with the 3.

I must say, I couldn’t be more impressed. I guess someone at Tesla is reading this Forum! Within 2 Days of posting this my cell rang with an unknown local Dallas number on caller ID. I answered and it was a Tesla rep. She asked if my glove box was still giving me troubles. I said yes. She then said she had roving tech guys that could come fix it. The Tech called 10 min later and wanted to come by in an hour to my home. Unfortunately I was unavailable for a few days. We made a date, he showed up on time, fixed the problem in 15 minutes and left. He was so great and polite. I can’t say enough! My plan was just to wait a few more weeks and see if I had any other issues? But they fixed this one before I got the chance! Was to go Tesla!
BTW the mechanical part of the switch was malfunctioning and was stuck in the "in" position. He replaced the switch.

jlv said:
RegGuheert said:
I read the link. There are people reporting problems with the glove box button in an X (and one person with an S) in 2016. Nothing to do with the 3.
Nothing to do with the 3? The point is that when you replace a simple mechanical mechanism with an electrical actuator, you have this type of failure. The Model 3 has multiplied the failure modes by tying it into the touch screen, as well.
jlv said:
I must say, I couldn’t be more impressed. I guess someone at Tesla is reading this Forum! Within 2 Days of posting this my cell rang with an unknown local Dallas number on caller ID. I answered and it was a Tesla rep. She asked if my glove box was still giving me troubles. I said yes. She then said she had roving tech guys that could come fix it. The Tech called 10 min later and wanted to come by in an hour to my home. Unfortunately I was unavailable for a few days. We made a date, he showed up on time, fixed the problem in 15 minutes and left. He was so great and polite. I can’t say enough! My plan was just to wait a few more weeks and see if I had any other issues? But they fixed this one before I got the chance! Was to go Tesla!
BTW the mechanical part of the switch was malfunctioning and was stuck in the "in" position. He replaced the switch.
Selective reading, I suppose. Here's what the OP in the link I provided wrote:
I got my Model X 4 weeks ago and my glove box compartment will not open since the first day I took delivery of my Model X. On delivery day at the service center, they showed me how to open the glove box compartment by pushing on the button just left of it and it opens just fine. The moment I got home that same day, that button no longer works and so I've been living without access to my glove compartment ever since. Unfortunately, my service appointment is not for another month. Does anyone have the same problem or know of why the button does not work? Thanks.
I'm amazed that people try to defend such a dumb idea as this one. At least the Model 3 owners in the video were honest enough to point out this bit of nonsense.

There is a specific reason they have designed the car to have almost no buttons it's not driven by cost cutting, down the road that will be apparent. If a button or solenoid is not working then that's a part defect that needs to be addressed but has nothing to do with the implementation, many cars use electric releases for a variety of reasons. Cars use control by wire rather than mechanical all the time. The only difference in the 3 is that there is no physical button on the car and this was done for specific reasons. I'm confident that this is only a deal breaker for those not ever intending to buy the car and people that can't accept any change or variation in which case they are not likely buyers for the car. The "big" complaints about the 3 so far are basically petty things. If you want a car with mechanical glove box then buy a Bolt. The 3 has a bunch of storage in several compartments inside the center consul where things can be stored, more there than the old S has in the glove box so I'm sure the sky won't fall if your registration or other things are in there. There is even a place to hide things. I never use a glove box except for things I rarely ever need. Big deal, you may not be able to open it if your car is so totaled that your power is off, don't think most people will care in that situation. There is a design philosophy behind this entire implementation, love it, hate it or don't care, there are buying choices. If you want to talk about really bad designs look at the LEAF telematics, pack cooling ,etc, those were really bad deigns that seem to keep surviving. Just think you may be able to open the glove box via the app:)

EVDRIVER said:
If you want to talk about really bad designs look at the LEAF telematics, pack cooling ,etc, those were really bad designs that seem to keep surviving. Just think you may be able to open the glove box via the app:)
Exactly. These LEAF owners trying to nitpick the Model 3 remind me of the administrator fools I hear about at work: they choke on a gnat and are oblivious to the elephant. They rush here to post every quibble heard on the internet and ignore the overwhelming positivity. ::shrug::

I'm just happy they are driving an EV and will hopefully put up PV. As for pursuing lousy value ? Not my problem or concern.

RegGuheert said:
jlv said:
RegGuheert said:
Nothing to do with the 3? The point is that when you replace a simple mechanical mechanism with an electrical actuator, you have this type of failure. The Model 3 has multiplied the failure modes by tying it into the touch screen, as well.
How in the world does noting failures of the glove compartments in Model S and X cars, which are controlled with a physical button, support your complaint about replacing physical buttons with touchscreens?

Zythryn said:
How in the world does noting failures of the glove compartments in Model S and X cars, which are controlled with a physical button, support your complaint about replacing physical buttons with touchscreens?
I think the point is that the "physical" button in the Model S/X is actually an electronic button, and that's why it doesn't work. The Model 3 takes the electronic button concept one step further even (i.e. another potential point of failure) and moves the button to some a touchscreen running some OS (that has also been known to freeze up and be unresponsive, in the Model 3).

As for the rest of the discussion on whether these changes are big, small, petty, deal breakers, have some purpose that will be evident down the road, etc. :

Some of these issues may in fact be minor, or there may be a good reason for them. And one individual or another may be willing to put up with potential issues with using the phone as a key, (and not personally carry keys so getting rid of a key fob is a big deal). Someone may see a perfectly valid reason for not having a physical button to open the glovebox. And maybe people who live in climates where automatic wipers would work well and are planning on letting the car drive itself everywhere anyway can't see why anyone would need a wiper stalk to easily control intermittent wipers. There are those who don't mind dealing with a voice interface to control everything, but there are those who I think would be annoyed if you had to talk to the car to do various things that previously could easily be done with a knob. I am finding that the rush of Tesla enthusiasts to defend every last change that Tesla has made in the Model 3 end up dismissing what I think are going to be valid concerns for a large number of people. Maybe not major or insurmountable, but valid nonetheless. Maybe not quite as bad as those on the other side of the fence that nitpick every last thing, but it would be nice to at least acknowledge that these concerns are valid criticisms instead of just outright dismissing them as being too trivial or that the reason will be clear somewhere down the road.

I consider myself a Tesla fan. I consider myself a Nissan LEAF fan. Between my wife and I we've owned 3 LEAFs. I have a Model 3 reservation that I intend to turn into a purchase probably sometime mid-year. But I am won't pretend that either car is perfect and do try to honestly point out weaknesses and issues of both cars. I may try to rationalize to myself why a particular flaw doesn't bother me that much, but I wouldn't tell someone else that has a legitimate concern that they should just get over it because you should never have anything you need to get to in the glovebox anyway.

Sorry, this post took on a very negative tone, but as much as I've had criticisms of Loren and Ed with their unfounded, and probably self-serving criticisms of Tesla and the Model 3, unbridled defense of the Model 3 is taking it to the extreme in the other direction, and I felt this needed to be said.

I agree with you that some people go way too far on the positive side as well.
I try to look at topics with some logic, first.
The issue of the buttons may be a valid one. But we seem to have little data, and lots of wild speculation.

It also seems a bit of a reach to draw a link between physical buttons that may be an electronic switch (they probably are) and touch screen buttons.
My first question would be, how many buttons in a Camry, or Cruze, or Vesta, etc have an electronic component? I would guess and good number.

In many of my posts I questioned the single central console.
But when people (not you) claim it is the death knell of the Model 3 I just have to laugh and point out how ridiculous that is. I am not arguing that the lack of a driver's console is the best thing since sliced bread. But I will argue that it isn't all that dire.

Back