Official Mercedes B-class EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At a first pass of the B I am not overly impressed. First realize that in the American market we pay quite an up charge for anything coming in from Europe. For example, when VW began building the current Passat in TN the sticker price decreased by $7,000.

As to why I am not overly impressed, the IP appears terribly boring at first glance. The B class was actually first produced in 2005. So the electric B is basically a converted GEV. And as stated earlier MB is purchasing the battery package and drive system from Tesla.... And the battery package-drive system then needs to be shipped to Germany for final assembly...

Compare this to the LEAF. Built in TN along with the battery pack. I for one prefer to buy American produced products when I can... It keeps American working... And I might add the LEAF has enough electronic marvels in it to peak my interest even when I am not driving it...

No, the B had a complete redesign in 2012 and was designed from the get-go with two different floor pans, one for ICE and one specifically for EV...

And having driven a B EV for an extended period, I can definitely say that it has at least as many "electronic marvels" as the Leaf, and many which the Leaf does not... And that it is a much nicer driving experience and interior than the Leaf... But then, it costs more so you would expect that.

The biggest strike against it is no QC, which will be rectified sometime next year... I'm also disappointed in its EPA range, even when factoring in the Range option which the EPA did not test...

Here is a Chicago Tribune review, FYI: http://cars.chicagotribune.com/fuel-efficient/news/chi-auto-review-2015-mercedesbenz-bclass-electric-drive-20140609" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Recycledoug said:
The B class was actually first produced in 2005. So the electric B is basically a converted GEV.
And I might add the LEAF has enough electronic marvels in it to peak my interest even when I am not driving it...

Mercedes has announced that the B-Class Electric Drive launches today in the US. I Don't know if that means deliveries are now starting, or if it's just a press item as the Electric Drives have been in the country at US ports for weeks already...

Here is the EPA tear sheet for it.
http://fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=34425&id=34699&id=35247&id=35207" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TomT said:
Mercedes has announced that the B-Class Electric Drive launches today in the US. I Don't know if that means deliveries are now starting, or if it's just a press item as the Electric Drives have been in the country at US ports for weeks already...
Apparently being released to dealers today. So may be some deliveries from tomorrow ...

Still no lease details.

Well, at least one was delivered today as evidenced by a blurb on a local dealer's FB page about 30 minutes ago...

evnow said:
TomT said:
Apparently being released to dealers today. So may be some deliveries from tomorrow...

"And having driven a B EV for an extended period, I can definitely say that it has at least as many "electronic marvels" as the Leaf, and many which the Leaf does not... And that it is a much nicer driving experience and interior than the Leaf... But then, it costs more so you would expect that."

Very enlightening statement, Tom! Most wouldn't have thought that paying all most $10K more than for
a Leaf, one might get additional amenities, right?

As far as the redesign with 2 floor plans...they forgot to put the charging port where it belongs, which is front. That is absolutely lame.

Ultimately, I pass because of max 104-mile range. That is not enough anymore. Nice try, MB!

ILETRIC said:
As far as the redesign with 2 floor plans...they forgot to put the charging port where it belongs, which is front. That is absolutely lame.
I wonder if it's the same place as the gas hole is on the ICE version. Or, if they intended it to be charged while parallel parked one the left side of a one-way street.

The BMW i3 has it on the passenger's side rear, supposedly (I hear) to accommodate parallel parked street charging on the right, supposedly (?) common in Europe.

Yes, I agree it's better on the front, but it is sometimes funny for those who drive EVs/PHEVs where it's not in the front to give their justifications as to why their location is right/better and front is bad...

cwerdna said:
ILETRIC said:
I wonder if it's the same place as the gas hole is on the ICE version. Or, if they intended it to be charged while parallel parked one the left side of a one-way street.

The BMW i3 has it on the passenger's side rear, supposedly (I hear) to accommodate parallel parked street charging on the right, supposedly (?) common in Europe.

Yes, I agree it's better on the front, but it is sometimes funny for those who drive EVs/PHEVs where it's not in the front to give their justifications as to why their location is right/better and front is bad...

It appears most B-class versions have it on the driver's side (with LHD) (diesel, gas or electric) but came across this photo of the fuel cell model which swaps it to the other side -- still no front filler like the LEAF.

924633_1752865_800_530_11C1221_08_neu.jpg

This last shot confirms the filler for the fuel cell (assume it's plugged in) ... no question though that this model B-class regardless of power train is 'enhanced' versus the last model.

730361_1324836_680_457_09C745_26.jpg

This is euro version fossil fuel B-class test but highlights a few things that have been updated, etc.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT5M4PScHhY[/youtube]

There was a B-ev driving here in the valley yesterday with dealer plates in Burbank area.. Had all tinted windows but I didn't know it until the driver came zooming up next to me.. we both hit the light though as I shook my head. I wasn't as nice next time as when it hit green, the Rav pulls better :twisted:

Especially with Sport mode :lol: Not even trying.

Soccer mom EV.. Mall Rated

Gee Loren, apparently you are NOT aware that sometimes that is NOT the case with a number of vehicles... :roll:

lorenfb said:
Very enlightening statement, Tom! Most wouldn't have thought that paying all most $10K more than for
a Leaf, one might get additional amenities, right?

I suspect the B driver wasn't trying... If you look at the specs, they should run side by side to about 40, then the RAV will pull away slightly to 60...The B I drove threw you back hard in Sport mode from anything under 40...

JasonA said:
There was a B-ev driving here in the valley yesterday with dealer plates in Burbank area.. Had all tinted windows but I didn't know it until the driver came zooming up next to me.. we both hit the light though as I shook my head. I wasn't as nice next time as when it hit green, the Rav pulls better :twisted:

Just test drove the B-Class, definitely a significant upgrade over a LEAF for everyday use (lack of QC not withstanding). They really tried to emulate a traditional car: Analog gauges, simple dash controls, key you insert & turn, steering column shifter, 60's era air vents, etc. Some practical improvements: standard option vinyl-like seat material that will surely be a big functional improvement over the (dirt absorbing) cloth in the LEAF and nearly run-flat tires (yes no spare just like LEAF). In all I'm happy I ordered one as, with the range extender for 100mi and other practical improvements, it will serve me better than my LEAF. Here are some pics from what surprised me.

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3B%3A6%3A%3Dot%3E8447%3D84%3C%3D34%3A%3DXROQDF%3E28599773%3A6259ot1lsi

Hmm the radiator (silver behind upper & lower grille) looks pretty big for an EV. What is it cooling?
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv8336%3Dot%3E8447%3D84%3C%3D34%3A%3DXROQDF%3E28599773%3A5259ot1lsi

400V for charging? How is that done in US? Note the recommended tire pressure, not your usual 32psi...
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv46%3Dot%3E8447%3D84%3C%3D34%3A%3DXROQDF%3E28599773%3A8259ot1lsi

Now that is a portable EVSE: Coiled J1772 cable & tiny EVSE.

That teeny tiny charge cable is likely the standard 120 volt 8 - 12 amp excuse for an EVSE. We already have B-Class ED customers who have bought the JESLA 40 amp portable charging solution for their car.

padamson1 said:
Just test drove the B-Class, definitely a significant upgrade over a LEAF for everyday use (lack of QC not withstanding). They really tried to emulate a traditional car: Analog gauges, simple dash controls, key you insert & turn, steering column shifter, 60's era air vents, etc. Some practical improvements: standard option vinyl-like seat material that will surely be a big functional improvement over the (dirt absorbing) cloth in the LEAF and nearly run-flat tires (yes no spare just like LEAF). In all I'm happy I ordered one as, with the range extender for 100mi and other practical improvements, it will serve me better than my LEAF. Here are some pics from what surprised me.

Thanks for the photos; appears to be the 'launch' color?; the german cars typically have quite durable and comfortable 'leather like' seat materials, MB Tex (or whatever they're calling it at MBZ now) would be on this B-class and I've got 'leatherette' seats in my Touareg that fools people all the time that it's not 'real' leather but just as comfortable and resists stains, etc. What's the lead time expected on ordering yours? We won't see these in non-zero emission states for awhile so the more posts we see from some new owners will help others just waiting ... kind of like when I was waiting for our LEAF as well. Would assume you have no issue with where they placed the charge port as well? Besides the range extender what other options (if any) do you opt for?

padamson1 said:
In all I'm happy I ordered one as, with the range extender for 100mi and other practical improvements, it will serve me better than my LEAF.

So what's the price?

padamson1 said:
They really tried to emulate a traditional car: Analog gauges, simple dash controls, key you insert & turn, steering column shifter, 60's era air vents, etc.

Or rather just wanted to use existing parts from the ICE B-class to cut costs?

Back