Official Kia Soul EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This debut could be an interesting measure of the success of CHAdeMO quick chargers in the chosen markets. Since one of the big differences this car has with the bulk of the "compliance" models is the CHAdeMO DCQC.

If KIA choses to push it and advertise it, this could be a major difference between this and the rest of the field. Maybe it won't be like the FIAT or Ford Focus Electric.

Here's hoping!

Jeff

Saw one on the road yesterday. (distributor plates) It was south bound I. 5. thru Irvine & got off at Bake Pkwy. He was driving WAY too fast for my old granny driving style, so I didn't bother to see where it went. I was barely able to snap a pic - I'll see about posting it if I can.

EDIT;
found it ...... sorry about improperly sized- pic's
:(
wssbwl.jpg

kubel said:
Kia and Hyundai are separate entities, Hyundai owns a third of Kia. It's a little different comparing Chevrolet/Buick/GMC/Cadillac, since those are brands/divisions that are 100% owned and controlled by GM.
you can call them separate or you can call them the same company - but both are owned by the South Korean government so does it really matter?

jsongster said:
This debut could be an interesting measure of the success of CHAdeMO quick chargers in the chosen markets. Since one of the big differences this car has with the bulk of the "compliance" models is the CHAdeMO DCQC.

If KIA choses to push it and advertise it, this could be a major difference between this and the rest of the field. Maybe it won't be like the FIAT or Ford Focus Electric.

Here's hoping!

Jeff

They have stats to building "about 5000".

Does that sound like enough for an advertising campaign?

Soul EV info is available on the Kia web-site. The range is 186 mi.km on a full charge when cruising at 65mph :) Is that microkilometers?

kia.png

Valdemar said:
Soul EV info is available on the Kia web-site. The range is 186 mi.km on a full charge when cruising at 65mph :) Is that microkilometers?
I expect that's a start up screen that shows both units; clearly only one variety would be displayed in use.

GRA said:
Valdemar said:
I expect that's a start up screen that shows both units; clearly only one variety would be displayed in use.

It is just artist's interpretation. I just thought it was funny, especially the number 186 for range. Likely like it is a number you'll never actually see, even in kilometers.

There is an extra "1" that's not supposed to be there. The artist was not appraised of it, that's all. Just a minor glitch.

Cluster of a Pre-Production:
kiadash.jpg

No idea how much "guess" is in the guess-o-meter there, but he said that he did ~15 miles to get to the meeting, only using that first bar.

JeremyW said:
Cluster of a Pre-Production:
No idea how much "guess" is in the guess-o-meter there, but he said that he did ~15 miles to get to the meeting, only using that first bar.
Yeah.. and that 92mi was on a 88% charge! Still plenty to fill on the top side!

There's potential in this car!

73e504c64304939f63a2da51c3c60377.jpg

kubel said:
Kia and Hyundai are separate entities, Hyundai owns a third of Kia. It's a little different comparing Chevrolet/Buick/GMC/Cadillac, since those are brands/divisions that are 100% owned and controlled by GM.

separate entities but not separately owned. its no different than saying Nissan and infiniti are separate entities

This car is more appealing to me even than the Benz. I'm in a region with lots of quick chargers, and this thing having 100kw charge ability could really knock some time off those trips. I know there aren't any 100kw chargers, but even the 60kw ones around here start at 44 or so and start to taper down very quickly. Staying above 50 for the whole charge would make a pretty decent difference. I'm really interested to see how these perform at existing chargers.

The Soul EV site has been dramatically updated today and, by clicking on the warranty links, one may download the actual warranty book for the car. The microsite is at http://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/soul-ev/2015/experience?story=hello" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The capacity warranty for the battery states:

"Lithium-Ion Polymer Battery Capacity Coverage
The Lithium-Ion Polymer Battery (“EV Battery”)
Capacity warranty coverage period is 10 years or
100,000 miles from the Date of First Service,
whichever comes first, for capacity loss below 70%
of the original battery capacity.
This warranty
covers repairs needed to return battery capacity to
70% of original battery capacity. If possible, the
EV battery components will be repaired or replaced,
and the original EV Battery will be returned to the
vehicle. If necessary, the EV Battery will be
replaced with either a new or remanufactured
Lithium-Ion Polymer Battery. Any repair or
replacement made under this Lithium-Ion Polymer
Battery Capacity Coverage may not return your
Lithium-Ion Battery to an “as new” condition with
the original 100% battery capacity."

Also, a heat pump, heated steering wheel, DC quick charging, and 6.6kW OBC are all standard equipment.

I figured this would be of interest :)

mtndrew1 said:
"Lithium-Ion Polymer Battery Capacity Coverage
The Lithium-Ion Polymer Battery (“EV Battery”)
Capacity warranty coverage period is 10 years or
100,000 miles from the Date of First Service,
whichever comes first, for capacity loss below 70%
of the original battery capacity.
Now that is interesting.

Looks like it is time for Nissan to up its game.

So far this looks like the best BEV package that will be on the market this Fall. Too bad it will be another Kia Soul. The main question remains - how much?

Valdemar said:
The main question remains - how much?
Before today I was worried that they may price it out of the market, now I'm worried if they price it too low they'll be constantly sold out! :shock:

JeremyW said:
Valdemar said:
The main question remains - how much?
Before today I was worried that they may price it out of the market, now I'm worried if they price it too low they'll be constantly sold out! :shock:

I hope they have a big waiting list for the Soul EV so that Nissan brings back 0% x 72 months + $3,500 cash back on the 2015 Leafs to keep them moving. Right around the end of December would be just peachy, in the event that anyone at Nissan is reading this.

I'll definitely test drive the Soul though; it looks like it's quite a compelling package if it's priced right.

Back