Official Kia Soul EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must say I loved the commercial. While I do not believe it is a car for me (I really like the Leaf, B, and Tesla), there are a lot of buyers 10-15 years younger than me who seem to really like the Kia styling and price points (and the rap-hamster themed commercials). If they deliver this at a lower price, perhaps competitive with the Smart EV but with 120+ mile range, I bet they will make a sizable dent. And if we can get the younger buyers to buy electric for their first car purchase, we could really shift the market needle over the next 2 decades. Just as the Leaf has outsold the Tesla by being more affordable, this could pull the same trick if it hooks those young buyers.

I for one applaud the companies that are making the investment to put a model out there. Yes, the technology exists to have a superior car with a superior range. But Tesla's pricing demonstrates it will be a long time before that is available to the mass consumer. And just as different styles and price points have significant market niches, the same should prove true for EVs.

So, looks like a better effort than FFE. But, not convinced it will sell any more. Also not aware of any Kia executives bad mouthing EVs unlike Toyota or Fiat.

They just played the Soul EV advertisement during the Seahawks Packers football game. I really want to think they are serious about making it successful.

http://insideevs.com/2015-kia-soul-ev-joins-ez-charge-network-will-add-17-dc-chargers-in-california/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sounds pretty serious to me.

DarthPuppy said:
I must say I loved the commercial. While I do not believe it is a car for me (I really like the Leaf, B, and Tesla), there are a lot of buyers 10-15 years younger than me who seem to really like the Kia styling and price points (and the rap-hamster themed commercials). If they deliver this at a lower price, perhaps competitive with the Smart EV but with 120+ mile range, I bet they will make a sizable dent. And if we can get the younger buyers to buy electric for their first car purchase, we could really shift the market needle over the next 2 decades. Just as the Leaf has outsold the Tesla by being more affordable, this could pull the same trick if it hooks those young buyers.

I for one applaud the companies that are making the investment to put a model out there. Yes, the technology exists to have a superior car with a superior range. But Tesla's pricing demonstrates it will be a long time before that is available to the mass consumer. And just as different styles and price points have significant market niches, the same should prove true for EVs.

http://insideevs.com/2015-kia-soul-ev-joins-ez-charge-network-will-add-17-dc-chargers-in-california/

"The all-electric Kia Soul EV is anticipated to arrive in the us in later October/early November (full details here), and has an EPA rated range of 92 miles. Interestingly, as of time of press, no pricing has yet been announded."

Which is it, 92 or 120?

I liked the Soul EV commercial. They are going all in which is nice and they added fast charging on the product side which is legit. I think the car looks pretty good. In comparison, I saw the poop brown colored BMW i3 parked at a stoplight today and oh man that car is uggly especially in brown. It's on par with the i Miev for looks and makes the leaf look gorgeous. No idea what BMW was thinking with the awkward styling.

The sad part is the youtube video for their ad has over a million views:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYWHsOeDf3M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why is that sad? Because if you read through the comments you'll see that 99% of the people watching it have no idea that it advertising an electric vehicle. You would think it would be obvious because of the J1772 cord they unplug from the vehicle. But my guess is that most people just assume it has something to do with the science experiment they are doing.

gsleaf said:
They just played the Soul EV advertisement during the Seahawks Packers football game. I really want to think they are serious about making it successful.

I will consider it a serious effort when they actually sell it in more than a few token states. Saying things such as "we are targeting states that have the infrastructure support" and releasing the soul in states without QC chargers and missing key states that have a ton (i.e. Tennessee, Texas, etc.) means they are just spouting BS and are not really serious in my opinion (why lie about it? - if it was truthful even if it was semi-bad I would be more likely to believe they were making a genuine attempt).

So Kia is just as bad as Toyota, Honda, Fiat and other the other compliance car companies in my book. When you can sell them in all states (or at least have a complete plan to roll them out instead of "we will wait and see" method) then I will consider them serious.

Pipcecil said:
I will consider it a serious effort when they actually sell it in more than a few token states. Saying things such as "we are targeting states that have the infrastructure support" and releasing the soul in states without QC chargers and missing key states that have a ton (i.e. Tennessee, Texas, etc.) means they are just spouting BS and are not really serious in my opinion (why lie about it? - if it was truthful even if it was semi-bad I would be more likely to believe they were making a genuine attempt).
Yes, that is the give-away phrase now-a-days - talk about infrastructure support but don't even release in states with a big demand & infrastructure (WA, TX) or lot of infrastructure (TN).

Pipcecil said:

So Kia is just as bad as Toyota, Honda, Fiat and other the other compliance car companies in my book. When you can sell them in all states (or at least have a complete plan to roll them out instead of "we will wait and see" method) then I will consider them serious.

Maybe I'm too hopeful, but this is their first year of sales. Nissan didn't sell nationwide their first year either. The Soul EV is done WAY better than any of the other compliance cards (quick charger, no battery in the trunk, nationwide advertising). Time will tell if they are serious about the Soul EV in volume, but it looks like they have things lined up well for their first year.

May be. I would have considered it if it was here. Last I heard, they were only exporting 5000 total, not sure how many for the US. Whatever compliance calls for, probably. Don't see how they can compete with Nissan and Tesla down the road unless they plan to build them here.

I guess I should also mention that it looks like they put their own EV together. A lot of the compliance vehicles are hobbled together by Tesla or another 3rd party.

gsleaf said:
I guess I should also mention that it looks like they put their own EV together. A lot of the compliance vehicles are hobbled together by Tesla or another 3rd party.

If I remember correctly the Fiat 500e is all done by Bosch and the Focus Electric is done by Magna. The parent companies just do the body systems.

mtndrew1 said:
If I remember correctly the Fiat 500e is all done by Bosch and the Focus Electric is done by Magna. The parent companies just do the body systems.
Ford is doing the entire work - Magna had some prototypes, but they aren't doing the production, IIRC.

evnow said:
Pipcecil said:
Yes, that is the give-away phrase now-a-days - talk about infrastructure support but don't even release in states with a big demand & infrastructure (WA, TX) or lot of infrastructure (TN).

Of course it's bullshit. The states that they ABSOLUTLEY will sell in are the regulatory ones:

CARB-ZEV "coalition" states are California, Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island and Vermont.

Kia Canada is now advertising the Soul EV on their website and some Canadian Kia dealers are advertising it as well. This elevates Kia above Toyota, Honda, and Fiat in terms of compliance status as far as I'm concerned.

On the U.S. front I saw a new billboard for the Soul EV on the SB405 in Hawthorne last weekend and saw one of the Soul EV test vehicles in Orange.

Back