Official EV Project / Ecotality / free charger thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We still don't understand how your order month translates into your pickup month. It's quite possible that they will get several months of orders ready here by December.

I have been on the "need more info" hold for free charger, and today I received an email from ECOtality with subject line "Status of your Leaf Charger - O" offering a free home assessment. I am a Sept reservation. Anyone else in the Los Angeles area receiving these?

Umbrella said:
I have been on the "need more info" hold for free charger, and today I received an email from ECOtality with subject line "Status of your Leaf Charger - O" offering a free home assessment. I am a Sept reservation. Anyone else in the Los Angeles area receiving these?

Yes, see etec pending thread.

I finally got the acceptance mail. Don't know whether it was the natural timing or they sent it because I complained.

cdub said:
I think everyone got them today.

Nope, not everyone. I haven't received one even though I'm in the EV Project and have been 'pre=approved'. Even if I get an email from Nissan that I can order today, I can't until I get a call from the Customer Service Sup telling me that my dashboard has been repaired so I can order the SL-eTec. But the good news is, even though I may be ordering today or tomorrow, my car may arrive before some Aug. orders because of my place in line (reserved around 3PM on the 20th). That made me feel much better! :)

leaffan said:
cdub said:
I think everyone got them today.

Nope, not everyone. I haven't received one even though I'm in the EV Project and have been 'pre=approved'. Even if I get an email from Nissan that I can order today, I can't until I get a call from the Customer Service Sup telling me that my dashboard has been repaired so I can order the SL-eTec. But the good news is, even though I may be ordering today or tomorrow, my car may arrive before some Aug. orders because of my place in line (reserved around 3PM on the 20th). That made me feel much better! :)

Is this really true though? Because I've always been told that the delivery date is based on when you actually order.. not when you reserved... but they also say that an EV Project delay "will not make you lose your place in line"... which seem to be two conflicting statements from Nissan.

cdub said:
..Because I've always been told that the delivery date is based on when you actually order.. not when you reserved...

Well, when you can order is based on when you reserved. But I do think the ordering date is what determines the delivery priority ... we will know for sure when they start giving the delivery dates.

evnow said:
cdub said:
..Because I've always been told that the delivery date is based on when you actually order.. not when you reserved...

Well, when you can order is based on when you reserved. But I do think the ordering date is what determines the delivery priority ... we will know for sure when they start giving the delivery dates.

I disagree and I'll tell you why. I reserved at 3PM on the 20th, about five minutes after the email arrived (came to my spam folder). I know people that reserved hours after me, but have ordered already. What is holding mine up is the EV Project communication to Nissan that I've been 'pre-approved', which means no assessment needed. I've been told that even though I will be ordering later today, tomorrow, or the next day, that I won't lose my place in line based on my reservation date. So I could still have and probably will have my car delivered in Dec.

evnow said:
cdub said:

That's how I understand it...

The sooner you reserved on the 20th means you should be able to order sooner. However, your 'place in line' REALLY starts when you hit the "ACCEPT QUOTE" button. THAT'S when the build order is set and that will determine when your car arrives in the US. Where you LIVE in the US will dictate slightly when you get your car.

leaffan said:
I disagree and I'll tell you why. I reserved at 3PM on the 20th, about five minutes after the email arrived (came to my spam folder). I know people that reserved hours after me, but have ordered already. What is holding mine up is the EV Project communication to Nissan that I've been 'pre-approved', which means no assessment needed. I've been told that even though I will be ordering later today, tomorrow, or the next day, that I won't lose my place in line based on my reservation date. So I could still have and probably will have my car delivered in Dec.

Who told you that you don't lose your place in line? Nissan will build the cars in the order that the offers are accepted, and those are the cars that will get on the boat first. I would go back and clarify.

Umbrella said:
Got the same one - also a Sept reservation.

Jimmydreams said:
leaffan said:

Who told you that you don't lose your place in line? Nissan will build the cars in the order that the offers are accepted, and those are the cars that will get on the boat first. I would go back and clarify.

Nope, that isn't true. I will keep my place in line because it isn't my fault about the dashboard screw up. Nissan told me. I know I would have had an Aug. ordering month if this hadn't happened.

cdub said:
Well.. we'll soon know for sure once they start posting the delivery dates.

I read on here (another thread) that someone thought they would post delivery dates in a few days. Personally, I don't think they will until ALL the Sept. orders in the 5 rollout states are finished. ;)

Yeah, I was the one who said that they will start posting delivery dates imminently. That doesn't necessarily mean that you won't get an early delivery date if you haven't ordered yet. There are so many variables in play and we don't know Nissan's formula (assuming they even do :D ).

leaffan said:
Nope, that isn't true. I will keep my place in line because it isn't my fault about the dashboard screw up. Nissan told me. I know I would have had an Aug. ordering month if this hadn't happened.

I hope you are right, and they will do justice to you.

But, back during reservations, people who had problems with the site and ordered late were told they will not be put late in priority either. Wonder how they fared ...

evnow said:
leaffan said:

I hope you are right, and they will do justice to you.

But, back during reservations, people who had problems with the site and ordered late were told they will not be put late in priority either. Wonder how they fared ...

According to Nissan, order priority is based on when the original reservation was made and the consumer's market.

"The ordering process for Nissan LEAF will be prioritized based on when consumers submitted their original reservations online and by the consumer’s market. Over the next several weeks, reservation holders will begin to receive emails informing them how to submit an order. They will contact a dealer to negotiate their price and finalize the order for the purchase or lease of Nissan LEAF."

"Once a consumer’s order has been agreed with a dealer it will be placed in sequence for production and delivery according to the consumer’s market. These future Nissan LEAF drivers will be informed of an estimated delivery timing upon completing the order process. "

Source: http://nissannews.com/newsrelease.do?id=1855&mid=

Today I finally heard from Ecotality - first communication from them. I think this has been posted here before:

"Congratulations. We would like to welcome you as a participant in the EV Project. Your in-house charger and installation will be free of charge.

Nissan will be contacting you shortly with instructions for ordering your vehicle. After you have placed your LEAF order with Nissan, we will be asking you to sign the Residential Participation Agreement. This is the agreement that was available for your review during the questionnaire process; it provides the expectations of both parties as we launch into this EV infrastructure project. Please feel free to review it again at your convenience: http://www.etec.stage.nissanusa.com/participant-agreement/index.php

Thank you for helping us move forward together in this study that supports and promotes Electric Vehicles. Once again, congratulations and thank you for your interest in the EV Project."

drees said:
Umbrella said:
Got the same one - also a Sept reservation.

Ditto. I'm in San Diego and I also received the "Status of your Leaf Charger - O" e-mail on September 2. My order date is September 2010.

Apparently we should not receive an e-mail to order the car until after the EV Project assessment is completed. I asked Nissan Live Chat about the timing of my order and this is what they had to say:

"Ryan:
Thank you for contacting Nissan LEAF Electric Vehicle Customer Support, my name is Ryan. How may I help you today?

Me:
Hi, I have an order date of September 2010 but still haven't had a home assessment by ECOtality to confirm my eligibility for the EV Project. Yesterday I received an e-mail from ECOtality that stated my home installation could be more costly than their guidelines allow, however, they would still like to include me in the EV Project. If my reservation becomes unlocked before my assessment is completed, would I be able to order the car on time?

Ryan:
Thank you for your interest in the Nissan LEAF Electric Vehicle, I am happy to answer that for you. Yes, you will be able to order once Nissan has sent you the notice that you may request a quote from a dealer. The pending determination of EcoTality participation will not keep you from ordering.

Me:
Would I have to wait for the e-mail from Nissan or would the order option become unlocked on my online dashboard before then?

Ryan:
The Nissan email would be sent at the same time the order option is unlocked on the dashboard.

Me:
Thanks. Would I need to fill out a waiver for the assessment or does that not apply to me?

Ryan:
If your participation determination is still pending, then you would not need to acknowledge the waiver.

Me:
Great. Also, I've read online that those in the EV Project select the SL-E trim when they order. Would this option be available to me if my participation is pending?

Ryan:
Your participation in the EV Project will be determined before you are asked to place an order.

Ryan:
So you won't have the opportunity to select the SL-E trim level unless you have been selected as a participant.

Me:
Ok. I suppose that means I'll be ordering closer to the end of the month because I've heard that the assessment may take a while?

Me:
Is there any way to check when the order option will be updated on my dashboard?

Ryan:
The assessment is scheduled so that there is enough time to complete it before your order date comes up. I don't have any date of order information other than what has been already provided for you, unfortunately.

Me:
Sorry one last question. Hypothetically if the order e-mail comes before my EV Project assessment is completed, would it be a problem if I ordered the SL trim and added the quick charge port and then later changed it to SL-E?

Ryan:
Sure. We haven't had any situations like that occur yet. The assessments are always completed and participation determination made before the order date arrives."

Back