Official BMW ActiveE thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boomer23 said:
TonyWilliams said:
Clippy said:
My application is now in the hands of BMW North America. But as both a certified member of the hoi polloi and Bernie Ecclestone's wrong crowd, I doubt I'll qualify.

My salesman called to tell me that I was rejected because my email address on my registration didn't match the application.

And that's fixable, right Tony?

He said he'd reapply and let me know. There's still cars available.

I did have the Tesla folks call me yesterday, out of the blue, and offer to sell me a Tesla Model S. I think he said spring 2013 delivery. I told him I will reconsider when a spring 2014 car is available. Plus, waiting for Feb 9 to learn about the Model X.

TonyWilliams said:
He said he'd reapply and let me know. There's still cars available.

I have a feeling for not much longer, the majority of the crowd who applied after the general registration opened is waiting for home assessment/approval by AV. Those who have a EVSE already installed have a narrow window of opportunity to request one allocated to them before everybody else. Whether it will improve the chances of getting one I don't know, if it is first come first serve then likely yes.

Here is something that's bothering me more than rationalizing the car's price and offering terms. I need to drive my kids around every now and then. The AE motor is literally behind the back seats and the worry is that strong magnetic/electromagnetic field may not be safe for them. I doubt BMW had to certify these cars for safety from these hazards. Any opinions?

Valdemar said:
The AE motor is literally behind the back seats and the worry is that strong magnetic/electromagnetic field may not be safe for them.
Is there any research that shows "strong" magnetic/electromagnetic fields are harmful to humans ?

TonyWilliams said:
My hunch is that the motor is well behind the rear seats (at least according to the chart I saw).

No closer than the LEAF motor to your feet.

My physical development stopped long time ago, and the reverse process has already started :), so I'm not worried much about myself. Children are a different story, they may be more susceptible to this stuff. The hump in the trunk is just behind right back seat.

evnow said:
Is there any research that shows "strong" magnetic/electromagnetic fields are harmful to humans ?

Electromagnetic is proven to be harmful on high frequencies, but EVs don't emit that.

TonyWilliams said:
The hump is electronics, not the motor.

I see, then it may not be as bad I thought. Are there safe levels defined by any organizations? Do EV manufacturers have to certify their cars for conformance to those levels?

I remember reading that unlike MiniE, ActiveE was designed in-house. However AC Propulsion must have some information about it regardless. I'll call them up. Thanks.

Physics 101 - any electromagnetic radiation can be produced by any electromagnetic field. The intensity of the field is determined by the frequency in hertz. The famous Electromagnetic spectrum chart helps to clarify the different types of EMR and most don't cause any human harm.

The harmless ones, i.e. ones that have so little energy to cause damage to cells or organisims: radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light (although these generally don't harm you a random particle can have enough energy to cause radiation harm, but its so minute it is hardly calculable, especially since the highest is visible light which we are exposed to every day all the time).

The harmful ones are: ultraviolet (sun damage), x-rays, and gamma rays.

An electric motor's EMR does not emmit ultraviolet, x-ray or gamma rays (there would be major problems if it did! - think of all the RC cars, model trains or anything with small electric motors in them - your life would be ruined by now), therefore there should not be any damage resulting.

You should worry more about your kids going out into the sun without sunscreen than your car giving you cancer.

TonyWilliams said:
Valdemar said:
TonyWilliams said:
The hump is electronics, not the motor.

I see, then it may not be as bad I thought. Are there safe levels defined by any organizations? Do EV manufacturers have to certify their cars for conformance to those levels?

These are a conversion done by AC Propulsion. Call them.
AC Propulsion has nothing to do with the ActivE. BMW designed drive in the ActivE is DC brushless, same as LEAF, ACP uses induction (no rare earth/permanent magnets).

Clippy said:
My application is now in the hands of BMW North America. But as both a certified member of the hoi polloi and Bernie Ecclestone's wrong crowd, I doubt I'll qualify.

Gee whiz, these people work fast. Happy, happy, joy, joy.

BMW said:
Congratulations! This email is to inform you that the allocation request for the ActiveE Prospect listed below has been accepted and that a vehicle slot has been allocated.

Electronaut Name: Clippy Word97

Electronaut Email Address: [email protected]

Uh, now about them stripes....

Too fast, I was hoping for more time to cool off :) I got e-mail confirmation too but in a different format - "Congratulations on being assigned your all-new BMW ActiveE. You are officially confirmed as one of 700 BMW Electronauts." Is yours from the dealer?

Valdemar said:
Too fast, I was hoping for more time to cool off :) I got e-mail confirmation too but in a different format - "Congratulations on being assigned your all-new BMW ActiveE. You are officially confirmed as one of 700 BMW Electronauts." Is yours from the dealer?

Yes, mine is the dealer copy. BMW is ignoring me or probably being eaten by my spam filter.

I guess they wanted to close the book on this before the weekend/EOM.

I take back everything I said about Aerovironment.

It's the wife's car, anyway. I'm tired of her kvetching about not getting to drive the Leaf.

Valdemar said:
I remember reading that unlike MiniE, ActiveE was designed in-house. However AC Propulsion must have some information about it regardless. I'll call them up. Thanks.

The engineer from BMW told us that it was an AC Propulsion conversion like the MiniE.

To what extent BMW had a hand, I don't know.

Subject: ActiveE Prospect XXXX Williams: Paperwork accepted; vehicle allocated

Dear Bill, (dealer sales dude)

Congratulations! This email is to inform you that the allocation request for BMW of San Diego’s ActiveE Prospect listed below has been accepted and that a vehicle slot has been allocated.

Electronaut Name:                                 XXXX Williams
Electronaut Email Address:                    [email protected]

Please remember that deliveries for MINI E Pioneers have already begun and will continue as additional vehicles are allocated to MINI E Pioneers.  Deliveries for VIP’s, Friends and Family and the general public are scheduled to begin later in February. In the meantime we’ve allocated a “Placeholder VIN” for this Electronaut.  As these delivery timelines approach, please check your DAR regularly for the VIN and status, and your regional distribution contact for additional information, once the vehicle appears in your pipeline.

Best regards,
The BMW ActiveE Team
_

700 Electronauts will lead the way to the future of mobility.
Will you be one of them?

http://www.bmwusa.com/ActiveE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TonyWilliams said:
Subject: ActiveE Prospect XXXX Williams: Paperwork accepted; vehicle allocated

Dear Bill, (dealer sales dude)

Congratulations! This email is to inform you that the allocation request for BMW of San Diego’s ActiveE Prospect listed below has been accepted and that a vehicle slot has been allocated.

Electronaut Name:                                 XXXX Williams
Electronaut Email Address:                    [email protected]

Please remember that deliveries for MINI E Pioneers have already begun and will continue as additional vehicles are allocated to MINI E Pioneers.  Deliveries for VIP’s, Friends and Family and the general public are scheduled to begin later in February. In the meantime we’ve allocated a “Placeholder VIN” for this Electronaut.  As these delivery timelines approach, please check your DAR regularly for the VIN and status, and your regional distribution contact for additional information, once the vehicle appears in your pipeline.

Best regards,
The BMW ActiveE Team
_

700 Electronauts will lead the way to the future of mobility.
Will you be one of them?

http://www.bmwusa.com/ActiveE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Congratulations!

Sub forum?

Back