Oak tree fell on my 2011 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmillington

There was a big wind/rain storm on Saturday night in the Sacramento, CA area, and I woke up Sunday morning (March 6th), and found that an oak tree in my yard fell on my 2011 Leaf in the driveway.

I was hoping to lose my 4th bar by April 20th, but I guess I've got bigger concerns now!

DSC_0511.jpg

DSC_0482.jpg

That's terrible: it's a wild, wild world out there!
Maybe you can have them bake the paint with the battery on-board. Sort of a "kill 2 birds" theory...

I'm guessing that's a write-off. If it's not, that's what I'd probably push the insurance company to do, since you're so close to battery warranty expiration. Then you can maybe find one that already has the battery replaced with your settlement check!

Wow. Sorry to see your Leaf take a hit like that. I was out running yesterday and there were lots of downed trees on the trails near the American River Confluence and Cool.

mwalsh said:
I'm guessing that's a write-off. If it's not, that's what I'd probably push the insurance company to do, since you're so close to battery warranty expiration. Then you can maybe find one that already has the battery replaced with your settlement check!

With prices for 2011's well below the $10k mark (CarMax is selling my former 2012 for $9600 in excellent condition with under 27k miles) the insurance company is likely going to write that one off.

DarthPuppy said:
Doesn't Mother Nature know that is an eco-friendly car??? :shock:

Some people call the Leaf a tree-hugger's car. That Leaf was a victim of a car-hugging tree. :eek:

Yes, I'm guessing that you are right - I'll find out tomorrow morning when the adjuster drops by to make the estimate...

RonDawg said:
mwalsh said:

With prices for 2011's well below the $10k mark (CarMax is selling my former 2012 for $9600 in excellent condition with under 27k miles) the insurance company is likely going to write that one off.

It is hard to tell from your pictures if there is much damage to the front, but the amount of damage to the back (both sides) is probably enough to add up to the "Blue Book" value so I think you will be shopping for a replacement. I hope you don't lose too much on this act of nature.

Gerry

Oh, man! Sorry about that! That is sad and it sucks. I would hate for that to happen to me too. Probably going to total it on you and give you peanuts. Even though the values are down, at least it WAS useful for you and you had a shot at a new battery. Now...

Wish you better luck and I wouldn't want to wish that on anyone. Again, I am sorry for your misfortune.

I hope it is not to early to throw this out there But...

I think that Blue ornament was a little to heavy for that tree!

Either that or the 10 ton Angel that was at the very top...

Or... For Sale: New woody sided Leaf!

Or... "2 ton leaf succumbs to tree crashing around it!"

Or... Can you identify what kind of tree this is by its leaf?

And... That looks like an Oak Leaf Cluster!

If they do total it, I'd strongly consider buying it from the insurance company and fixing it up just enough to be road-worthy. They'll usually allow you to do that for a pretty low price, since it saves them from having to dispose of it. It looks like you could get by with hammering out the rear panels a bit & replacing the rear window & taillights. You would then have a completely-paid-for car that can just be your beater.

Imagine the freedom of being able to park *right* next to that Bugatti owner who takes up two spaces. ;)

Now that's a thought - I'll run it by the adjuster. Thanks. :p

garsh said:
If they do total it, I'd strongly consider buying it from the insurance company and fixing it up just enough to be road-worthy. They'll usually allow you to do that for a pretty low price, since it saves them from having to dispose of it. It looks like you could get by with hammering out the rear panels a bit & replacing the rear window & taillights. You would then have a completely-paid-for car that can just be your beater.

Imagine the freedom of being able to park *right* next to that Bugatti owner who takes up two spaces. ;)

"I got an '11 Leaf wagon and I call it a Woody
Insurance Adjuster here we come."

--The Beach Boys

PS Sorry to hear about your misfortune! :(

garsh said:

+1

There is also a chance you have damage to suspension/mounting points, "frame", subframe... As the tree pushed down on the car, once the suspension hit the bump stops, the force/weight would get transmitted to the components mentioned. If so, a buyback might be a little more involved to get back on the road. Still worth looking into though!

Another thing the OP can have the insurance company do is ask them to find a "like" replacement for the car. The OP can even help: "Look Mr./Ms. Insurance Adjuster, I found this CHEAP 2012 Leaf SL. I don't mind that it has only 8 capacity bars left..." :lol:

Back