O bars

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mx5racer

gQYo6J.jpg

At the dealer getting my new battery

Amund said:
What kind of battery did you get?
Is it 2015 24kWh, or 2016 30kWh?
Uhh, Nissan hasn't even ACKNOWLEDGED a 30 kWh battery let alone a model year or anything about whether it's backwards compatible. Search http://insideevs.com/2016-nissan-leaf-get-25-larger-battery/ for Brockman.

I see no reason for Nissan to give batteries w/25% more capacity as warranty replacements. Do you?

cwerdna said:
I see no reason for Nissan to give batteries w/25% more capacity as warranty replacements. Do you?
Suppose the 256 Megabyte USB memory stick you've been carrying around on your keychain for the last eight years goes bad. What are you going to replace it with?

Levenkay said:
cwerdna said:
Suppose the 256 Megabyte USB memory stick you've been carrying around on your keychain for the last eight years goes bad. What are you going to replace it with?
If it costs Nissan more, there's no reason for them to.

If it costs Nissan too much to make both 24 kWh packs/modules for it vs. 30 kWh packs/modules for it, then sure, they might give a 30 kWh.

But given the leaked "news"/speculation so far, if the news is right, the '16 S trim will only have a 24 kWh pack. So, assuming there is backwards compatibility of 30 kWh packs w/pre-'16 Leafs (again, the 30 kWh pack isn't even acknowledged by Nissan yet) what do you think Nissan will do until 24 kWh Leafs stop being made?

That is hardly a reasonable corollary... Nissan will never - repeat, NEVER - give 30Kwh usable batteries as warranty replacements for 24 Kwh batteries! They simplify don't need to...

Levenkay said:
cwerdna said:

If it was available, physically compatible and Nissan was willing, how much would you be willing to pay for the larger capacity battery over the free replacement?

Levenkay said:
cwerdna said:

Keep in mind that when Tesla did finally deliver the Model S with the original base 40 kWH battery (which was discontinued before the first cars were even delivered), those cars actually had 60 kWH packs that were software limited to 40 kWH. You can buy an upgrade to unlock the additional 20 kWH, but Elon was not about to give that away for free (unlike other things).

I would expect Nissan to do the same; give you the larger pack (if the smaller one is not available) but not let you use the whole thing unless you pay extra (and that may not necessarily be offered either).

However, Nissan is expected to continue using 24 kWH packs for the base model anyway. So I don't see the availability of replacements for batteries of this size to go away anytime soon.

RonDawg said:
Levenkay said:
cwerdna said:

Keep in mind that when Tesla did finally deliver the Model S with the original base 40 kWH battery (which was discontinued before the first cars were even delivered), those cars actually had 60 kWH packs that were software limited to 40 kWH. You can buy an upgrade to unlock the additional 20 kWH, but Elon was not about to give that away for free (unlike other things).

I would expect Nissan to do the same; give you the larger pack (if the smaller one is not available) but not let you use the whole thing unless you pay extra (and that may not necessarily be offered either).

However, Nissan is expected to continue using 24 kWH packs for the base model anyway. So I don't see the availability of replacements for batteries of this size to go away anytime soon.
But Tesla was in a totally different situation (http://ir.teslamotors.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=7525330). They claimed nobody wanted the 40 kWh model (saying only 4% chose it) and them doing the software limited pack probably saved them a whole bunch of $ from vs. actually shipping a 40 kWh equipped (certification, tooling, testing, validation, engineering work, etc.) to a small set of people.

Back