NTB-12-086: Touchy Brake Fix Released. 2012 MY Fix Available

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a good example of how Nissan could respond better. I never got the impression this issue was being taken seriously. My dealer said he had heard about and would let me know if he heard any fixes for it, which it did. But if instead Nissan had given us the impression they wanted to fix this issue we could have waited while they worked on it and at least they recognized that it was a real issue.

My MY2012 almost threw me through the windshield the other day, while only doing about 10 MPH, so I sure hope they extend this fix to 2012's also.

Another 2012 owner here that would like to see a fix for this issue. It's a very intermittent problem, but I find that when it does happen, it will keep happening if I don't release the brake completely. If I apply some pressure to the brake, as long as I keep applying some pressure to the brake, the issue will occur. As soon as I complete release the brake, even if I reapply pressure immediately afterward, the issue will clear up.

Mine's getting done tomorrow. I'll post back as soon as I feel comfortable rendering an opinion...
DaveinOlyWA said:
that was the thread i was looking for to post this. granted searching sucks and more so when posting from the phone but only found some references to the issues on the wiki page...so that is how i got here!
Well, you got more traction with a new title. That's one reason I hate reusing old threads all the time. Sometimes a new one just works better!

The title of this thread is funny... It sounds like a brake fix was released, and the fix is touchy...

GeekEV said:
Mine's getting done tomorrow. I'll post back as soon as I feel comfortable rendering an opinion...
Thanks! I'll wait to see how it goes for you!

I'm a little concerned about one of the statements you quoted in the other thread:
GeekEV said:
More info:
It is NTB12086. It says the customer states the brake pedal feels more sensitive at speeds below 15 MPH. We have to go in and check the current part version number of the brake control and see if the update applies. The TSB is for 2011 LEAF, they say it’s for vehicles built after a certain VIN but I think that must be a mistake. Either way we can check your brake control unit for an available update.
I've dealt with this issue with NTB11-041a. The NTB excluded our vehicle, but we needed the fix. The dealer's hands are tied if the NTB excludes the vehicle, since they are not authorized to make changes in that case. It took me several months to get that one applied all because Nissan did not included the full set of cars affected by the problem on page 1 of that NTB. Let's hope this doesn't turn out to be the same issue.

GeekEV said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
that was the thread i was looking for to post this. granted searching sucks and more so when posting from the phone but only found some references to the issues on the wiki page...so that is how i got here!
Well, you got more traction with a new title. That's one reason I hate reusing old threads all the time. Sometimes a new one just works better!

The title of this thread is funny... It sounds like a brake fix was released, and the fix is touchy...

ya, i got suggestions on adjusting the title. this makes search a lot easier and more applicable. hopefully we wont get to the point where Software fixes become so common place that they need their own sub forum! :shock:

RegGuheert said:
I'm a little concerned about one of the statements you quoted in the other thread:
GeekEV said:
More info:
It is NTB12086. It says the customer states the brake pedal feels more sensitive at speeds below 15 MPH. We have to go in and check the current part version number of the brake control and see if the update applies. The TSB is for 2011 LEAF, they say it’s for vehicles built after a certain VIN but I think that must be a mistake. Either way we can check your brake control unit for an available update.
I've dealt with this issue with NTB11-041a. The NTB excluded our vehicle, but we needed the fix. The dealer's hands are tied if the NTB excludes the vehicle, since they are not authorized to make changes in that case. It took me several months to get that one applied all because Nissan did not included the full set of cars affected by the problem on page 1 of that NTB. Let's hope this doesn't turn out to be the same issue.
I think the initial guy may have misread or misunderstood. I just got called saying the fix was applied and the car is ready for pickup. I won't be grabbing it until after work though, so don't expect an update on its performance until at least tomorrow...

For what it is worth, in the rare times this happens to me, once I am at a full stop I hold the brakes down with a normal than greater pressure on the brake pedal while I am stopped, for several seconds. Grabby brakes seem to go away until the next incidence.

Regardless, I will get the fix as it is a nuisance.... But the above procedure did seem to mitigate the issue... YMMV

JimSouCal said:
For what it is worth, in the rare times this happens to me, once I am at a full stop I hold the brakes down with a normal than greater pressure on the brake pedal while I am stopped, for several seconds. Grabby brakes seem to go away until the next incidence.
I just take my foot off the brake pedal and then it's gone if I immediately reapply.

garsh said:
JimSouCal said:
I just take my foot off the brake pedal and then it's gone if I immediately reapply.

right. if the problem occurs, its a easy process to get rid of it. the issue is that the problem never seems to be predictable. it does happen in a very narrow set of circumstances but the issue is not easily reproducible.

when the issue was first mentioned, it literally took me weeks to make it happen on my LEAF. even after i figured out how to do it, i still have to make a half dozen attempts to get it to happen again and its the suddenness that is the problem. it is simply unexpected and even at very low speeds of 10 mph, a sudden abrupt stop like that can and does have the potential to injure the driver or the passenger. i have heard of no injuries, but i can see it happening

RegGuheert said:
Thanks, Dave! I think I will try to get this one applied.

It's interesting that it is only available for the 2011s. Does this issue really not exist on the 2012s?

I had it happen on my 2012 the other day but in a weird way. I was crossing RR tracks and car hit different causing a big "bump." My windshield wipers turned on and sprayed the windshield also and the brakes went super grabby. Pulled over, shut off, restarted and the grabbiness went away. Very weird.

Well, you may want to hold off on NTB12-086...

I took our LEAF in this afternoon to get this done and it is still there! The reprogramming did not work and the entire brake computer is now out of commission. They expect they will need the replace the entire controller to get the car back on the road. They told me not to expect it back before he end of next week.

In the meantime, I'm driving a Nissan gas guzzler.

RegGuheert said:

I took our LEAF in this afternoon to get this done and it is still there! The reprogramming did not work and the entire brake computer is now out of commission. They expect they will need the replace the entire controller to get the car back on the road. They told me not to expect it back before he end of next week.
Thanks for the heads up... I think I will wait. What went wrong? These kinds of reports make me leery about "fixing" stuff that isn't really broken, just mildly annoying.

Oh no!

We have already had several get the update with great results. Hope your issues are fixedquickly

RegGuheert said:

In the meantime, I'm driving a Nissan gas guzzler.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Oh no!

We have already had several get the update with great results. Hope your issues are fixedquickly...
Me, too. BTW, what "great" results are you talking about? I haven't seen anyone post that they thought the problem was fixed. Nor do I expect it very quickly since we have to wait until something doesn't happen.

Two in particular in the Seattle area claims the fix worked add advertised. as for me? Never thought it was that much of an issue and I don't use a driving pattern that makes it occur

From Barbara in Seattle

We have an appointment at 10:30 this morning. So looking forward to this fix. Thanks, Aaron!

Ahhhh! Much better now. :)

http://www.facebook.com/groups/seattlenissanleaf/permalink/478867042144738/?comment_id=479328982098544&offset=0&total_comments=23" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back