no L3 for Washington state until April 2012?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klapauzius

From WSDOT:

" The charging network will be completed and open to the public by April, 2012.
Construction is starting now at the Starbuck’s/Sehome Village in Bellingham—that one should be open in early 2012. Others will quickly follow." :(

just contacted DOT and got the latest update. Here is the deal:
They are breaking ground at the Bellingham Starbuck’s now and are still aiming for February 15 for most locations. They were able to secure additional funding to “electrify part of I-90” with two charging locations and AeroVironment is working on site identification and selection. AeroVironment must complete the entire project (I-5, US 2, and I-90) before the federal funding expires in March.

GaslessInSeattle said:
just contacted DOT and got the latest update. Here is the deal:
They are breaking ground at the Bellingham Starbuck’s now and are still aiming for February 15 for most locations. They were able to secure additional funding to “electrify part of I-90” with two charging locations and AeroVironment is working on site identification and selection. AeroVironment must complete the entire project (I-5, US 2, and I-90) before the federal funding expires in March.
WADOT, please start by putting QC (not Level 2) near North Bend and Cle Elum. Otherwise traveling over I-90 will be difficult for us on the east side.

Reddy

Reddy said:
WADOT, please start by putting QC (not Level 2) near North Bend and Cle Elum. Otherwise traveling over I-90 will be difficult for us on the east side.
Ecotality is supposed to put one in Northbend - hopefully they do that before they go bankrupt.

Why start in i5 in Bellingham is a mystery to me...Nobody from Seattle can get there...its 90 miles freeway! Couldnt they have strategically started a little closer to Seattle?

klapauzius said:
Why start in i5 in Bellingham is a mystery to me...Nobody from Seattle can get there...its 90 miles freeway! Couldnt they have strategically started a little closer to Seattle?
There will be one more at burlington.

map_lg.png

klapauzius said:
Yes, but that will presumably come online after the Bellingham charger?
Yes - but it is still some 80 miles from my home. I may need a slight boost in between or drive slowly.

Anyway - not to be tried in winter.

In fact its 66 miles from Seattle. On the freeway, even in summer this is a stretch, especially when you only charge to 80% (which is really how QC will work in the 20 min time frame). Not to speak about winter. Given the latest tests from the lake washington loop, I doubt I could make it with 80% from here to Burlington.

What nonsense is this...So then we will have a bunch of QC stations, which nobody from Seattle can comfortably reach?
I thought they would be spaced 40-60 miles apart?

Looks like there is a DC QC planned for Everett as well, only 40 mi from Burlington. Plus you have L2 already a Fred Meyers. Must be nice. It will be years before I can easily go more than about 60 miles from home here on the dry side :(

Reddy

I assume the gray dots on the map are blink chargers?
Well...lets hope for the best.

For traveling, L2 will not do, its just too slow.

the whole outline really makes very little sense to me. the Kitsap Peninsula has only one in Poulsbo which is BARELY reachable by ferry. one of the prime destinations; the Ocean Beaches are ignored. Everett; home of the largest factory in the world has only ONE?? the traffic corridor between Seattle and Everett is very heavily traveled.

but then there will be 3 in the Olympia area (obviously State Capitals rate highly despite having a population of barely 100,000 which makes it about the same size as Everett but ignoring the fact that the Boeing Plant artificially adds about 10-20% at any given time.

Puyallup is another prime location that is outside the EV Highway Project but central to a huge traffic flow around very congested South Sound I-5 corridor.

and the thing that REALLY gets me... they have millions in government funding and cant even draw a map any better than that?? where the hell is Puget Sound??

Reddy said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
...where the hell is Puget Sound??
... or the other 3/4 of the state?? :? :lol:

excluding the East Side i can see since you guys were ignored. but the map they post would give MANY the impression that Poulsbo is 20 miles from Downtown Seattle.

as you know, it is for a bird but nothing else!~!

DaveinOlyWA said:
... where the hell is Puget Sound??
What do you mean Pugent Sound. Are you trying to tell me the cruiseliners don't take the freeways to get to Seattle ? :lol:

klapauzius said:
In fact its 66 miles from Seattle. On the freeway, even in summer this is a stretch, especially when you only charge to 80% (which is really how QC will work in the 20 min time frame). Not to speak about winter. Given the latest tests from the lake washington loop, I doubt I could make it with 80% from here to Burlington.

Yes, have to use 100%. That means a 1 hour charge on the way back at Burlington - apart from the 30 minute charging at Bellingham and some L2 charging before getting home as well. With a QC in Everette, we can do three 80% charges - so a 2 1/2 hour driving time to Vancouver with 1 1/2 hour stop over for a total of 4 hour travel time.

Well, at least YOU have the EV Project, lame as it is, and their is a PLAN.

Where I am (East Coast, Boston), not only is there no EV Project, there is no plan, and there will likely NEVER be even a single L3 charger, as this is one trend that is likely to not make the "political cut" and be extended across the country, so give thanks you will have some L3 capability, it will likely be decades if ever we have any over here, unless a viable business case exists for it, and private enterprise does it (doesn't appear likely now does it)

mitch672 said:
Well, at least YOU have the EV Project, lame as it is, and their is a PLAN.

Where I am (East Coast, Boston), not only is there no EV Project, there is no plan, and there will likely NEVER be even a single L3 charger, as this is one trend that is likely to not make the "political cut" and be extended across the country, so give thanks you will have some L3 capability, it will likely be decades if ever we have any over here, unless a viable business case exists for it, and private enterprise does it (doesn't appear likely now does it)

Just wait until the economy picks up or the middle east explodes. If oil (and gas) go up again, I hope it wont take decades.

Well, to each his own, I guess. I for one can't get very excited about actual or proposed DC quick chargers. I use my LEAF to putz around the local area shopping, going to lunch, visiting friends, pursuing hobby interests, and etc. (Yep, I am retired). I have no interest in driving 60 or 70 miles, take a 30 minute break, drive 60 miles, take another break, and on.

I'll keep an ICE, and if I want to visit family in Bellingham or Ellensburg, I'll do so in heated comfort and without range anxiety. In that we use the LEAF for 90% of our transportation needs, and the ICE is a hanger queen, I am comfortable that we are doing our bit in saving the planet. And to boot, the LEAF is fun to drive.

Bill

Back