NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No one has answered yet about whether model S leaf owners even have to worry about this. I chose an S model because the Navigation system in the SV/SL seems much too awkward and much less responsive than my phone. I don't think I need to worry about pre-heating or pre-cooling since the temps are moderate where I'm from. I'm guessing that I don't need to upgrade because there is nothing to upgrade.

PS I love this forum. It really helped me buy a very low mileage 2013 Leaf S unicorn with a 6.6 Kw system and a quick charge port. Being able to identify the 6.6Kw system by looking at the engine and the dash settings put me ahead of the dealer in knowledge and I got a smokin' deal on the car since there is a glut of them in California coming in from lease returns. Thanks!!!

No one has answered yet about whether model S leaf owners even have to worry about this. I chose an S model because the Navigation system in the SV/SL seems much too awkward and much less responsive than my phone. I don't think I need to worry about pre-heating or pre-cooling since the temps are moderate where I'm from. I'm guessing that I don't need to upgrade because there is nothing to upgrade.

This has come up before, and the consensus - not the definite answer - is that since the S has no cell antenna, it has no transceiver either, and thus no nearly-obsolete 2g anything.

rogersleaf said:
Would add that I thought the main reason for this system was Nissan "Big Brother" pulling operating stats from their customer's vehicles. ...
No indication Nissan ever did that.
Only thing they did was supply Carwings data for the driver.
Now they have the data, so they could do an analysis of miles driven per year and month.

But not everyone hits OK for the data to be sent.
So it would be incomplete.

I think all they have used is the annual battery "test" done in the shop.

E-mail from Nissan today says that NissanConnect EV (formerly Carwings) that was supposed to stop in 2016 and was planned to be a pay subscription afterwards has been extended indefinitely as a free service. They state they will provide at least 90 days notice before shutting it down or requiring payment to continue it.

DarthPuppy said:
E-mail from Nissan today says that NissanConnect EV (formerly Carwings) that was supposed to stop in 2016 and was planned to be a pay subscription afterwards has been extended indefinitely as a free service. They state they will provide at least 90 days notice before shutting it down or requiring payment to continue it.

I believe us pre-2013 guys got a similar email a couple of years ago. For all the sh*t Nissan gets about the telematics (and I'm not one for shoveling), they have yet to charge anyone for the service. I'm anxiously awaiting word on the 2G modem replacement and whether they will continue to offer CW/NissanConnect for "free".

I too hope it survives. I like the ability to remotely start the air conditioning so the car isn't so hot when I return to it. Otherwise, I don't find it that useful. But I do also like it to have current maps on where charging stations are located in case I get caught out for an unexpectedly long drive and need a charge. However, in a pinch, I also have several of those apps loaded in my phone.

Interesting...so i guess this letter would seem to indicate that ATT is NOT killing their 2G service at the end of 2016? Or I guess it's ONLY the software / app side that is being granted this "extension." I assume ATT is still on schedule to terminate the legacy 2G network...and I have not heard anything new on the TCU side of things and what Nissan will charge for this...

jdcbomb said:
Interesting...so i guess this letter would seem to indicate that ATT is NOT killing their 2G service at the end of 2016? Or I guess it's ONLY the software / app side that is being granted this "extension." I assume ATT is still on schedule to terminate the legacy 2G network...and I have not heard anything new on the TCU side of things and what Nissan will charge for this...

You mis-understand: this notice was about the NissanConnect/CarWings service, not about the cellular coverage. Once upon a time, Nissan had promised 3 "free" years of CW service after which they were going to charge (what, they never said...but now it's "free"). We can still assume that AT&T will terminate their 2G coverage by the end of this year (if not sooner).

Roadburner440 said:
Nope haven't seen anything else since the original mailer. Is probably being worked on with the 30kwh battery upgrade for the 11-15 cars. :lol:
Thanks. I thought perhaps I had missed it. (I never got the mailer in the first place.)

30 kWh? I now want 40! ;)

Is there really any need for this when most of these cars won't go out of a 10-20 mi area? I know I don't care. I know where the grocery store is. ;) :roll: :?

Reddy said:
Is there really any need for this when most of these cars won't go out of a 10-20 mi area? I know I don't care. I know where the grocery store is. ;) :roll: :?

This is the car's ability to communicate with Nissan's servers, not the Nav system. Without this upgrade, the ability to remotely pre-heat, start charging or pre-cool will be lost.

LeftieBiker said:
Reddy said:

This is the car's ability to communicate with Nissan's servers, not the Nav system. Without this upgrade, the ability to remotely pre-heat, start charging or pre-cool will be lost.
Oops, yes I do like the pre-heat timer and have used the internet to pre-heat or cool. It won't be the end of the world, but it would be nice to have it. Edit: If I need some extra special unit installed, it had better be cheap and able to be installed by the user, cause I'm not paying dealership labor pricing.

Reddy said:
Edit: If I need some extra special unit installed, it had better be cheap and able to be installed by the user, cause I'm not paying dealership labor pricing.
I would prefer that also, but since the radio is likely serialized and needs to be tied to the car, I suspect that this particular change can only be done by the dealership. Also, I doubt they will allow any subsidy if they simply sold the parts. Hopefully I'm wrong.

LeftieBiker said:
Reddy said:

It's the notification of when charging stops/completes that's valuable for me. Keeping track of that helps me to know when I'm about to lose another bar: when the time to charge each bar becomes markedly less than before.

Also, reminder to plug in is also very useful. Many were the times when I came home, did some things out of my ordinary routine and forgot to plug in. Without a reminder email and text, I'd go to use the car the next day and it'd be uncharged.

aqn said:
Also, reminder to plug in is also very useful. Many were the times when I came home, did some things out of my ordinary routine and forgot to plug in. Without a reminder email and text, I'd go to use the car the next day and it'd be uncharged.

Wow! I wasn't considering the 'You forgot to plug me in' texts! Those save my bacon every so often.

Now I will have to seriously consider this update or be a little more diligent when I get home.

Back