Nissan Took back my Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brightonuk

Well the love hate relationship is over after nearly three years :D
Nissan took back my Lease 8 months early sighting Florida Lemon Law.

I had a faulty brake module last year (@32K miles) and they could not get the part so they had the car for over two weeks apparently that makes it a lemon.
I was also complaining about my declining range I was at 9 bars but only just, as 63 miles on a full charge was a good day.

Bottom line I think Nissan was outstanding as they gave me a good size refund and pro rated the mileage deducted from the refund back to the day I took the car in. (I had put another 10K mikes on it before the final turn in day).

It was a great experience and as one of the early adopters in the SE it was a way cool car that and all the people stopping me and asking the usual questions. accelerating off the line, instant power, quite high tech and just FUN!!

I will never buy an ICE car again and although my new car goes a little faster and further I will always remember driving my Nissan Leaf off of the Dealers lot the first time, the one and only time I ran outta juice 20 yards from home, beating all those ICE cars off the line (well most of them) Driving with zero miles thinking I still got 5 miles to go any minuet now "turtle mode" thinking about that Seinfeld episode when Kramer is taking the test drive and the fuel gauge reads zero......it was a great car to drive.

Brightonuk said:
Well the love hate relationship is over after nearly three years :D
Nissan took back my Lease 8 months early sighting Florida Lemon Law.

I had a faulty brake module last year (@32K miles) and they could not get the part so they had the car for over two weeks apparently that makes it a lemon.
I was also complaining about my declining range I was at 9 bars but only just, as 63 miles on a full charge was a good day.

Bottom line I think Nissan was outstanding as they gave me a good size refund and pro rated the mileage deducted from the refund back to the day I took the car in. (I had put another 10K mikes on it before the final turn in day).

It was a great experience and as one of the early adopters in the SE it was a way cool car that and all the people stopping me and asking the usual questions. accelerating off the line, instant power, quite high tech and just FUN!!

I will never buy an ICE car again and although my new car goes a little faster and further I will always remember driving my Nissan Leaf off of the Dealers lot the first time, the one and only time I ran outta juice 20 yards from home, beating all those ICE cars off the line (well most of them) Driving with zero miles thinking I still got 5 miles to go any minuet now "turtle mode" thinking about that Seinfeld episode when Kramer is taking the test drive and the fuel gauge reads zero......it was a great car to drive.
good for you!
I would be thrilled if I could get out of the remaining 11 months on my LEAF

Leasing is looking better all the time.

I'm betting that brake module wouldn't be considered part of the drive train. Had you bought the car and it failed at 36 months + 1 day or 36,001 miles it would have been on your dime and they wouldn't have even been obligated to provide you a loaner. A friend of mine had to replace some ABS module/framajammer/flux capacitor on a Toyota and it was $2600. There goes all your EV savings out the window.

Yer drove it from Richmond NY home apparently only 15 mile from Canada
Charging took an average of 15 mins using the Tesla chargers all the way down

LTLFTcomposite said:
Did you get the Tesla yet?
if you are asking me, Yes I did and it is a great car. far superior to the LEAF in many ways. granted it is a costly vehicle to acquire but if you can afford one I would say get it you will not be sorry. I let go of my beloved SL and other than the convertible top on the SL the tesla is a far superior machine.
I drove it from NJ to FL using the superchargers on I 95, and this weekend I went to Tallahassee which is 200 miles from here, had to charge it for almost 12 hours on an L2 in order to be able to make the return run. the tally trip is something that you just cannot do in a LEAF, and the ability to make road trips like that is the main reason that I bought the TESLA

I will not crap on the LEAF but the car has it's obvious limitations.
where the LEAF excels is it's usage is as a "city" vehicle, driven under 50 MPH in urban/suburban settings. If a person has a 50 mile one way commute AND the ability to charge for 7-8 hours on an l2 then the LEAF could be viable for the commuter as well.
in my situation the LEAF would be the perfect second car to be used for errands and the like, my problem is that since it's luxury features are limited my wife refuses to part with her lexus in favor of the LEAF, she just doesn't "feel good" driving the LEAF.

apvbguy said:
<snip>
where the LEAF excels is it's usage is as a "city" vehicle, driven under 50 MPH in urban/suburban settings. If a person has a 50 mile one way commute AND the ability to charge for 7-8 hours on an l2 then the LEAF could be viable for the commuter as well.
in my situation the LEAF would be the perfect second car to be used for errands and the like, my problem is that since it's luxury features are limited my wife refuses to part with her lexus in favor of the LEAF, she just doesn't "feel good" driving the LEAF.

FWIW, I do have a 52 mile commute, no ability to charge at work (yet) and only 120v at home and the LEAF works great for me. I do have access to an ICE (trade w/ son) when I need it, but in the 18 mos. or so I have had it, there have literally only been a handful of days I could not drive the LEAF to work.

jpa2825 said:
FWIW, I do have a 52 mile commute, no ability to charge at work (yet) and only 120v at home and the LEAF works great for me. I do have access to an ICE (trade w/ son) when I need it, but in the 18 mos. or so I have had it, there have literally only been a handful of days I could not drive the LEAF to work.

You mean 52 mile round trip, right? Surely not 52 miles each way. Without charging at work that would really be pushing the Leaf's limitations, given the rated range of 84 miles. . .

Brightonuk said:
So that make two ex Leafers who opted for the Tesla in Florida and the same two driving from NY to FL ;)
I am also now an ex-LEAFer. Traded it in for a Chevy Spark EV... Nice little car. Doesn't feel quite as "solid" as the LEAF and lacks a few amenities, but it drives (and brakes) much better.

Brightonuk said:
Driving with zero miles thinking I still got 5 miles to go any minuet now "turtle mode" thinking about that Seinfeld episode when Kramer is taking the test drive and the fuel gauge reads zero......it was a great car to drive.

OMG! Thanks, I never saw that episode, this cracked me up!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuEdU_lrtZk[/youtube]

apvbguy said:

My wife prefers driving my little Smart ED for errands and such around town (when I'm not otherwise taking it to work), even though she has a Mercedes SUV.... to each their own. :)

jpa2825 said:
apvbguy said:
<snip>

one way or round trip?
it is beyond the car's capabilities to do a 104 mile trip without getting a charge

SmartElectric said:
apvbguy said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

My wife prefers driving my little Smart ED for errands and such around town (when I'm not otherwise taking it to work), even though she has a Mercedes SUV.... to each their own. :)
my wife doesn't seem to be onboard the ev bandwagon, to each their own

^Somebody messed up the quote tags along the line at some point, I never said that and we've never had a Lexus.
Not a huge deal as long as Donald Sterling doesn't join the community.

Brightonuk said:
I doubt there was any generosity. Lemon buy back follows the formula in the law.

LTLFTcomposite said:
^Somebody messed up the quote tags along the line at some point, I never said that and we've never had a Lexus.
Not a huge deal as long as Donald Sterling doesn't join the community.

Sorry, that was my fault! Fixed. But the reply wasn't fixed... :oops:

apvbguy said:
smkettner said:
I doubt there was any generosity. Lemon buy back follows the formula in the law.
true dat

Still happy that they actually Lemon lawed it as I never complained about the two weeks waiting for the brake module my one and only complaint was the abysmal mileage I was getting (that was the reason they gave why they would take the car back).
And the funny part was three days before the return I think the car experienced the same issue as I got the same warning icons when I was driving.

When I got the letter I thought it was due to my constant bitching at Weston Nisan and Nissan America, all the same I got some cash that went to the new car so now I'm only chained for the next 5 years 8 months instead or 6 years :lol:

Back