Nissan shutting out third-party apps

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait...I've got it! We'll have screen that comes up on the Nav display that says it's OK to access data from the car. Yeah, and we'll put a big OK button under it! And we'll make it come up every time the car's turned on :lol:

evnow said:
EVDRIVER said:
I'm sure the LEAF owners group they just finished slapping together will put a stop to this and the ok button on the NAV. I still remember the days when we bitched about spray on carpet :lol: :lol:
They did stop that in MY13.

Not completely, but once every 30 days is much better.

I can't wait for used Model S's to become affordable. Nissan just doesn't get how to sell and design to tech. driven consumers.

I can see why they might want to limit the ability for the apps to send commands to the car (like to start charging or turn on AC).

But reading data from the car - especially the data they provide - appears harmless. But I haven't seen all of the data that's available. I wonder if there's some location info available, and they're worried about a stalker getting it?

I don't believe that GM should be looked to as having a good implementation though. I've seen discussions from app devs stating that there's a restrictive legal agreement you need to sign before you can get access to the API's. They worked closely with the dev of one site/app (think it was the voltstats guy) to get him up and running after a massive amount of outrage. Really a shame when one manufacturer repeats the same stupid (and very public) mistakes that another one made. Have there been any new apps for the Volt since that change was announced?

These guys aren't putting any innovation into their apps. Nissan should open up the API, then start deprecating the official apps and let people migrate towards another solution.

ITestStuff said:
But reading data from the car - especially the data they provide - appears harmless. But I haven't seen all of the data that's available. I wonder if there's some location info available, and they're worried about a stalker getting it?

Hope that's not it. I like to be in charge of my privacy, not an OEM. I use FourSquare, Google+, my location isn't exactly secret. My choice, which is the way I like it.

sparky said:
Staque said:
Got this in my Nissan LEAF Owner's newsletter:
(...) This is why—effective immediately—we have decided to shut off access to in-vehicle controls from these unofficial applications. ....(.)
My 3rd party app still works to set the climate control. Maybe this is a Nissan "effective immediately" which means "someday, when we get around to it".

I'm not allowed to decide if I want to allow access to my acct for my car.
Another annoying Nissan intrusion.
Another win for the corporate lawyers.
Another brick in the wall.
How funny that Nissan can act so quickly over things no one wants changed - while hot climate folks have to deal with issues that Nissan drags their feet on. Imo Nissan should have waited to screw over android developers - at least until after the Leaf gets liquid cooling (like they ought to have done from day one) ... that would have kept the dev's working for a long long time.

hill said:
at least until after the Leaf gets liquid cooling (like they ought to have done from day one) ... that would have kept the dev's working for a long long time.

Liquid cooling isn't good for everyone. It would add cost, weight and require a larger battery pack for the same range, which would add still more cost. It would be one more thing to fail.

My battery life will not be significantly improved with liquid cooling (TMS). It just doesn't get hot enough. Might even be worse with a TMS.

I'd rather not have liquid cooling, if I have a choice.

Do I get a choice?

If I lived in Death Valley, Arizona, Texas, and similar hot places I'd like to have an actively cooled battery pack.

One size fits all... Doesn't.

Way off topic but:

The few downsides are considerably outweighed by the many upsides... Even in areas such as yours, TMS has many advantages... And it would certainly go a long way to quieting the never-ending and vocal complaints about battery degradation in the Leaf...

WetEV said:
My battery life will not be significantly improved with liquid cooling (TMS). It just doesn't get hot enough. Might even be worse with a TMS.

WetEV said:
Liquid cooling isn't good for everyone. It would add cost, weight and require a larger battery pack for the same range, which would add still more cost. It would be one more thing to fail.

Agreed, there is a cold climate option. A hot climate option would be nice to have available, I'm sure those living in Pheonix would order such an option. If it wasn't too pricey I might even consider it. With overnight lows in the mid 70's my pack doesn't get below 90F anymore. Actively cooled overnight it could wake up to 72 :) Actively cooled the LEAF pack might last 20 years for lower mileage owners.

gbarry42 said:
Wait...I've got it! We'll have screen that comes up on the Nav display that says it's OK to access data from the car. Yeah, and we'll put a big OK button under it! And we'll make it come up every time the car's turned on :lol:

Now THAT'S funny.
But wouldn't that just annoy the C$#@&!P out of you?

So I replied to the newsletter email, stating my opposition and that I'd like Nissan to let ME make the decision about whether or not to use the 3rd party app.

They responded in a manner that I've found typical of corporations these days, by simply reiterating their policy; basically a cut and paste from the email.

"We're sorry for the inconvenience but perhaps you're a retard so we'll list our policy here again....."

In other news, Change.org now thinks they're my new best friend... :roll:

As long as their web portal is accessible, it will be able to be accessed by means other than a browser. So unless they are taking that away, they can't block third party access.

I don't understand why they would waste the time to lock others out, other than the carwings servers are getting hammered, and these apps made it too easy to "ping" the car... they don't want to upgrade the servers and/or they got sticker shock from their cellular data bill from all the telematic sim cards out there. I'm sure they pay something ever time a command is sent to the car. Remember that no one in the US is yet paying for a Carwings subscription.

It should happen automatically if they have your proper email address on file.
However, I have recently found that mine was completely wrong in their database. No idea why such was the case...

dsh said:
How does one subscribe to the Nissan LEAF Owner's newsletter?

turbo2ltr said:
I don't understand why they would waste the time to lock others out, other than the carwings servers are getting hammered, and these apps made it too easy to "ping" the car... they don't want to upgrade the servers and/or they got sticker shock from their cellular data bill from all the telematic sim cards out there. I'm sure they pay something ever time a command is sent to the car. Remember that no one in the US is yet paying for a Carwings subscription.
I actually think it is a privacy concern - not from customers like us but from some internal privacy watchdog or some such group. Obviously there are better ways to address the concern than trying to shutdown the access.

QueenBee said:
I can't wait for used Model S's to become affordable. Nissan just doesn't get how to sell and design to tech. driven consumers.

Nissan is not alone in this. Car companies and phone companies and producers of any other consumer product that GUI interfaces moved into in the past years are horrid at anything creating software. They are not (good) software companies and neither are their 3rd party affiliates sometimes. It's all too easy to have a state-of-the-art car with an interface that looks, acts, and is about as slow as something from the 80s. Had Apple designed this thing I suspect we wouldn't be having this thread--not because of the open API going away (Apple never would have provided it to begin with) but because the App likely would have been far better.

Tesla is a notable exception from what I've seen. But Tesla is not your average car company. I too look for the day when they are affordable, or I win the lottery--whichever comes first.

Back