Nissan Sets 1,500 - 2,000 DC Quick Charging Target For U.S.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the rarity of DCQCs here stateside, I am a bit skeptical. Very much hoping and wanting it to be true, but 1,500-2,000 in less than 2 years from now... something has to be holding it back other than cost. (the TBD SAE standard???)

Drivesolo said:
With the rarity of DCQCs here stateside, I am a bit skeptical. Very much hoping and wanting it to be true, but 1,500-2,000 in less than 2 years from now... something has to be holding it back other than cost. (the TBD SAE standard???)

Heading off that standard might be the very thing lighting a fire under them. Get a critical mass of infrastructure in place to create a de-facto standard.

Nubo said:
Drivesolo said:

Heading off that standard might be the very thing lighting a fire under them. Get a critical mass of infrastructure in place to create a de-facto standard.
and I'm sure they want to stop Tesla making headway with their DC standard as well...

Nissan needs to get into the act themselfs. Ecotality has been a very ineffective partner.

Nissan should be able to get a lot of them installed - since unlike Ecotality - they won't be looking to make a profit (or for that matter a living) out of the infrastrcture.

Nissan's whole EV plan likely depends on them getting their hands dirty.

Nubo said:

I've been wondering about this lately as well. I figure Nissan has two options:
  • Dump the Chademo and embrace the new standard, outfitting all of the new Leafs with the new standard.
  • Put some serious effort into the proliferation of Chademo chargers in North America before any of the other manufacturers start supporting the new standard.
Anything short of those two options is just a waste of time. There is no middle ground. They should really commit to one or the other if they want to make quick charging in North America successful.

What really caught my eye was not the two year goal but the two month projection!

"If everything goes according to plan, Nissan expects more than 800 DC quick charging stations will be installed in the U.S. in the next two months, with over 1,000 quick charging stations online by the end of 2012. "

Seems unlikely to me that someone would make such a bold projection without there already being significant headway having been made, can't imagine they want another PR nightmare on their hands. IMHO, it's going to be a huge embarrassment for ecotality if Nissan beats them to the punch with a fraction of the funds.

Drivesolo said:

I heard a talk by a Mitsu guy a few months back at an LA U. They are definitely predicating their marketing on QC availability, and can be expected to push QC stations out. After all, they have more limited range than our Leafs.

adric22 said:
Nubo said:

I've been wondering about this lately as well. I figure Nissan has two options:
  • Dump the Chademo and embrace the new standard, outfitting all of the new Leafs with the new standard.
  • Put some serious effort into the proliferation of Chademo chargers in North America before any of the other manufacturers start supporting the new standard.
Anything short of those two options is just a waste of time. There is no middle ground. They should really commit to one or the other if they want to make quick charging in North America successful.

I don't care what the standard is, but, IMO, it would be far preferable if it were the same world-wide.

Chademo looks to be the standard already, in Asia, Europe, and even in the woefully DC-undeveloped US.

Every one of the several hundred (?) American DC chargers now in operation, or soon to be so, are Chademo, as is every one of the 12,000 or so US DC capable EVs.

If America chooses a different standard, it will not only require modifying Every DC capable Charger and vehicle in America, it will add cost and complexity to all future BEV production worldwide.

What benefit will it be to American manufactures to have a "single" (conjoined) port design, if they still have to build EVs to Accommodate dual ports, in every other market?

This is really good news. We need some in every rest area along the interstates of GA.

evnow said:
Nissan needs to get into the act themselfs. Ecotality has been a very ineffective partner.
Nissan should be able to get a lot of them installed - since unlike Ecotality - they won't be looking to make a profit (or for that matter a living) out of the infrastrcture.
Nissan's whole EV plan likely depends on them getting their hands dirty.
Nissan has a much better chance of partnering with a major corporation that makes sense for L3 charging (Starbucks, McDonalds, etc). Even though they have the best intentions, I don't think any big company wants to get mixed-up with an unestablished entity like Ecotality or any of these new EV charging start-ups. Maybe Nissan and McDonalds can callaborate on a Limited Edition Yellow and Red McLeaf? Free charging when you supersize...

DTB said:
Nissan has a much better chance of partnering with a major corporation that makes sense for L3 charging (Starbucks, McDonalds, etc). Even though they have the best intentions, I don't think any big company wants to get mixed-up with an unestablished entity like Ecotality or any of these new EV charging start-ups. Maybe Nissan and McDonalds can callaborate on a Limited Edition Yellow and Red McLeaf? Free charging when you supersize...

+1

I've felt the same way. They already have thousands of locations around North America in urban & suburban areas. While customers charge for 20 minutes that's a perfect amount of time to go into the restaurant and get a quick bite to eat or something to go.

Looks like San Bernardino just got their first Chademo station. http://bit.ly/yHbtEL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone out that way use this yet? It's at a 7-11 that had earlier installed several L2 stations.

ICO: First Sale of Privately Owned Electric Charging Station in the Country
Colliers Brokers $2M Sale of Non-Gas Service Station in San Bernardino

GaslessInSeattle said:
What really caught my eye was not the two year goal but the two month projection!

"If everything goes according to plan, Nissan expects more than 800 DC quick charging stations will be installed in the U.S. in the next two months, with over 1,000 quick charging stations online by the end of 2012. "

Seems unlikely to me that someone would make such a bold projection without there already being significant headway having been made, can't imagine they want another PR nightmare on their hands. ...
Really? Hasn't this whole roll-out been a sea of grand projections that fall short? I fail to be convinced they wouldn't do it again.

davewill said:
Hasn't this whole roll-out been a sea of grand projections that fall short? I fail to be convinced they wouldn't do it again.
But Nissan does come through. In my case, a year ago their prediction was fall/winter; they did deliver my LEAF on Feb 7. And even those in the "forgotten" states in the "rest of the US" will likely have their cars this summer. I'm guessing Nissan made the QC port standard on 2012 SLs to begin solving the "chicken" part of the problem, because they knew they were almost ready to bring their QC to market and begin to solve the "egg" part of the problem.

Back