Nissan North America reporting 19 LEAF sales in Dec 2010

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ritikatootie

Nissan North America are reporting today they sold 19 LEAFs in December 2010. I'm going to guess omkar, on New Years Day, was #20!

The press release is here. The sales chart with a break out by vehicle sold in NA is on the left of that page. All of the 19 NA LEAF sales would have been US.

ritikatootie said:
Nissan North America are reporting today they sold 19 LEAFs in December 2010. I'm going to guess omkar, on New Years Day, was #20!

The press release is here. The sales chart with a break out by vehicle sold in NA is on the left of that page. All of the 19 NA LEAF sales would have been US.
I guess they report sales to dealers.

evnow said:
ritikatootie said:

I guess they report sales to dealers.
Likely, but in this case "sales in" is the same as "sales out" because all of the LEAFs presently being produced are presold, so they don't sit in dealer inventory.

I suspect that most of the sales were not to dealers. Leon told us that we could buy our LEAFs before they were delivered, and I am sure that other dealers offered the same service. timaz, congratulations on your new LEAF. You were the eighth US delivery, but you were certainly not the eighth purchase.

Kolmstead, why would someone buy their car before it was delivered?

kolmstead said:
Primarily for tax purposes, but there are probably other business or personal reasons.

-Karl
You may want to have a look at IRS Form 8936. It asks for the date the vehicle was "placed in service" not the date you handed your check to your dealer.

That is correct, although 'placed in service' date can be difficult to pin down. Other reasons might include not being around when the car gets delivered, and needing to have the car shipped elsewhere. Maybe needing to have funds committed by end of year. I've seen that for twenty-five years, working with federal government.

-Karl

Back