Nissan Leaf Battery Pack survives massive fire

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waitingforaleaf

Found this post online about a Nissan Leaf online today:

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/nissan-leaf-battery-pack-survives-massive-fire-48268.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking at the carnage, it's amazing that the battery pack didn't catch on fire with the rest of the car, though I doubt the pack will be much good for anything else considering the massive temperatures it probably experienced until the fire got put out.

waitingforaleaf said:
Found this post online about a Nissan Leaf online today:

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/nissan-leaf-battery-pack-survives-massive-fire-48268.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking at the carnage, it's amazing that the battery pack didn't catch on fire with the rest of the car, though I doubt the pack will be much good for anything else considering the massive temperatures it probably experienced until the fire got put out.

I was curious about that battery when we discussed this car a few weeks ago. I was hopeful that it survived being it was encased in its own compartment.

this has gone around FB several times already and the big question;

what is worse for battery degradation?

a)AZ Summer
b) CO wildfire

either way, this a huge positive piece of news that is essentially gotten buried. thanks for digging it back up

DaveinOlyWA said:
a)AZ Summer
b) CO wildfire

Until somebody actually takes the battery pack and hooks it up to another Leaf or some sort of diagnostic equipment it will be tough to define exactly what it means that it "survived." I'm very curious to know what capacity it still has (as well as what it had before the fire). And of course, does the battery even work? Just because the cells didn't burn doesn't mean the heat didn't destroy them or some of the other electronics in there.

I'm staying hopeful that the battery is as good as new and can just be put into another Leaf and work perfectly.

adric22 said:
I'm staying hopeful that the battery is as good as new and can just be put into another Leaf and work perfectly.
Yes, but if the fire burned for a long time and ambient temp was over 120 degrees for over 24 hours, the warranty is void. I wonder if there is a higher ambient temp that will void the warranty even if it is only for a few minutes (e.g., 500 or 1000 degrees F)? :eek:

adric22 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
a)AZ Summer
b) CO wildfire

Until somebody actually takes the battery pack and hooks it up to another Leaf or some sort of diagnostic equipment it will be tough to define exactly what it means that it "survived." I'm very curious to know what capacity it still has (as well as what it had before the fire). And of course, does the battery even work? Just because the cells didn't burn doesn't mean the heat didn't destroy them or some of the other electronics in there.

contextual definitions

survived; a state of being that did not contribute to the damage or is unlikely to contribute to damage suffered by a vehicle should it be involved in a collision or other non heat related incidents.

iow; the very volatile components of the LI battery pack did not "do the laptop fizzle"

Latest posts

Back