Nissan,how could you Screw Up so BADLY

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
solarman said:
... then I got an e-mail from Nissan telling me to expect delivery within the next 7 days. But now on my account it shows "week of May 02", so when is it?
I am pretty sure that "week of xxx" is just someone's shorthand for "within a week of xxx". So "week of May 02" means some time between April 25 and May 9. Does that make you feel better?

Ray

planet4ever said:
I am pretty sure that "week of xxx" is just someone's shorthand for "within a week of xxx". So "week of May 02" means some time between April 25 and May 9. Does that make you feel better?
Ray

I wish that were true, but my PD told me that it meant that day or AFTER that day up to a week. Also, CS told me the same thing.
I'm wondering how solarman has a #1500 VIN ordering in Dec. and I ordered end of Sept. and have #1855. :eek:

LEAFfan said:
planet4ever said:
I am pretty sure that "week of xxx" is just someone's shorthand for "within a week of xxx".
I wish that were true, but my PD told me that it meant that day or AFTER that day up to a week. Also, CS told me the same thing.
There's been a good number of people who have received their car at week before the "week of" date... And also 2-3 weeks after the "week of" date...

drees said:
LEAFfan said:
planet4ever said:
I am pretty sure that "week of xxx" is just someone's shorthand for "within a week of xxx".
There's been a good number of people who have received their car at week before the "week of" date... And also 2-3 weeks after the "week of" date...

Oh, I know people have gotten their cars before the 'week of' date, but my info was what the 'week of' actually means. So if they get it sooner, it just means they had a different 'week of' date than what was posted on their DB.

SteveInSeattle said:
The 4-7 month promise alone was clearly a mistake-- many of us whose cars left Japan before the earthquake are well past the seven months. Of course, post-earthquake there is nothing Nissan could have done to avoid delays.

Well, the promise (and price) did dry up funding for Coda, and probably a bunch of other companies thinking about offering electrics. Perhaps it was not a mistake after all.

i got 7-day in mid-april. and my week has moved to May 2.
dealer has a later date. Chat line says AC software done on April 18. As I have no accessories, there is no other fixing to do at the Port.
dealer says he has "no idea what Nissan is doing."
Lucky Duck was more perception than reality. I have no confidence that this date of 5/2 will stick.

The best explanation I can come up with is that they are trying to move cars out of the port in approximate sequence of ordering. I was fine with getting it early, and I am fine with them working to fix the sequencing. If it costs the 5k, that is something to deal with if and when. I had always felt I would buy regardless, but that is no guarantee about how it will feel on the day.
Besides the partner wants to drive it before committing. I am not too concerned that she will put her thumbs down, as she is too environmental to walk away from doing her part to stop the oil wars, and everything said here by those already in the car shows it to be a winner.

thankyouOB said:
Lucky Duck was more perception than reality. I have no confidence that this date of 5/2 will stick.

I really have the perception Nissan is doing what it can to fix the ordering sequence issue. They do understand about value of rebates as we saw how they redirected production to the home market for rebate reasons.

I, for one, appreciate it.

What do you base your perception on? I too would like to give them the benefit of the doubt. But it is hard to do at this point.

aries said:
I really have the perception Nissan is doing what it can to fix the ordering sequence issue. They do understand about value of rebates as we saw how they redirected production to the home market for rebate reasons.

I, for one, appreciate it.

I think it is fair to say that Nissan is trying to make the best of a bad situation. But "fixing the ordering sequence" would require re-allocating VINS, and Nissan isn't going to do that. So whatever other measures they take is not "fixing" the issue.

solarman said:
... then I got an e-mail from Nissan telling me to expect delivery within the next 7 days. But now on my account it shows "week of May 02", so when is it?
planet4ever said:

Ray
AFAIC, "the week of" is as useless as tits on a warthog. I had "week of Apr 22" until Apr 22, when it changed to "week of May 05". I'm not pissed or anything, it's only a car; I just feel that it needs pointing out. My car will get here when it gets here. I'm fortunate enough to not have to worry about $$$ or EVSE (Level 1 suffices, or maybe Ingineer's OEM EVSE mod) or transportation (have another car in the family).

aqn said:
AFAIC, "the week of" is as useless as tits on a warthog. I had "week of Apr 22" until Apr 22, when it changed to "week of May 05".
Agreed. I think part of the problem with "week of" at this point is that all of the cars in port need the software upgrade. Perhaps that is throwing off the delivery dates more than they would have been.

This is a big week for Nissan. It would appear that they need to deliver approximately 250 to 300 Leafs this week, if they want to meet their goal of 900 sold by the end of April. If Nissan speeds up the deliveries of the Leafs currently at Long Beach and about to arrive, it would go a long way in solving negative feelings. If Nissan cut the showing of one image building commercial, the savings would be more than enough to pay for overtime at the Port to speed up deliveries. The PR value of the media reporting that thousands of Leafs have been sold would greatly out strip general image building at this time.

I think most people ready to early adopt this technology were ready for hiccups with the car. The problem is we weren't ready for all the hiccups in the process to acquire it. The amount of misinformation and lack of communication has really changed my opinion of Nissan. Problems with the car (like the A/C issue for example) are to be expected. And before people blame the tsunami, I'd feel the same way without the effects of that. Nissan is clearly changing gears (no pun intended) as they go along. It's a result of a poorly thought out and executed process from the start.

CaryLeaf said:
I think most people ready to early adopt this technology were ready for hiccups with the car. The problem is we weren't ready for all the hiccups in the process to acquire it. The amount of misinformation and lack of communication has really changed my opinion of Nissan. Problems with the car (like the A/C issue for example) are to be expected. And before people blame the tsunami, I'd feel the same way without the effects of that. Nissan is clearly changing gears (no pun intended) as they go along. It's a result of a poorly thought out and executed process from the start.
CaryLeaf, I think your observation is right on. I couldn't have said it better myself. :(

CaryLeaf said:
does this make any sense?

derkraut said:
CaryLeaf said:
CaryLeaf, I think your observation is right on. I couldn't have said it better myself. :(

Very well put. Describes by sentiments. Disappointing isn't it.

thankyouOB said:
CaryLeaf said:
does this make any sense?

It does to me:

Problems with the car? Unavoidable, but acceptable due to Ver 1.0. Early adopters expect this and easily forgive.
Problems with the rollout? COMPLETELY avoidable and foreseeable. Unacceptable for any stage of vehicle version. Early adopters don't forgive this because it shouldn't be this messed up. Poor planning.

:geek:

Jimmydreams said:
Problems with the car? Unavoidable, but acceptable due to Ver 1.0. Early adopters expect this and easily forgive.
Problems with the rollout? COMPLETELY avoidable and foreseeable. Unacceptable for any stage of vehicle version. Early adopters don't forgive this because it shouldn't be this messed up. Poor planning.

:geek:
I have to disagree. The rollout problems were no more and no less avoidable than the ones with the car. The whole reservation and order process is new, and worse, a one off just for the Leaf. It was almost inevitable that problems would develop. Finally, the confluence of the 2011 order error, the disasters, and the A/C no start update made the last six weeks about as bad as they could get. Any of them in isolation would have been dealt with much better.

I sent this letter to Brian Carolin, Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing for Nissan North America. I'll let everyone know if I get a response.

My name is David, I reserved my Leaf on April 20, 2010. I ordered my Black SL+QC Leaf on Oct 29, 2010. In 2 days, I will have hit the end of the 4-7 month timeframe that I was to have received my Leaf. Not only have I not received my Leaf, it is my understanding that people that reserved in May and ordered in January have already received their Leafs. Faster than the 4-7 month timeframe. This is completely unacceptable.

I understand that Nissan has had two major issues, both the Earthquake in Japan and the A/C software fix issue. If the delays to my vehicle were due to those two issues, I would not be writing to you today. When I first received the email that said that my delivery was delayed due to the Earthquake, I checked my dashboard and it still displayed "month of May", I called Customer Service to inquire. I was told by Deven that I received that email in error and that based on my order date, my Leaf was definitely in Long Beach and that she would get back to me in a week with my VIN.

She did call me back in a week, that is great customer service in my mind, but told me she was still working on it and that I was on a special spreadsheet. In the mean time, my dashboard was switched to "Pending" as per the email about the earthquake. This was confusing since Deven told me that was inaccurate and that my vehicle was definitely in port. I am then hearing that people that ordered in January are receiving their vehicles. I asked customer service about this and I was told that was an error and that all the vehicles were being reallocated based on order date and once that was done, I would have my vehicle.

Cut to a couple of weeks later, my dashboard has moved all the way to July. Other people with my order date have VINs and expected deliveries of around now. I called CS again and they didn't have any answers for me. My dashboard has moved back to May, which is a good sign, but still no VIN. I am told that my vehicle is "more than likely" on the ship due to arrive today, but they are not sure of that. How am I supposed to plan my life (selling my old vehicle, moving money around, getting my EVSE ready) around a delivery date that no one actually knows is accurate? Why was I told that my vehicle was definitely in port and that they would be reallocated correctly, but people in January are still receiving their vehicles?

I have been a Nissan/Inifiniti owner for 12 years. I bought one of the first Xterra's and one of the first G35 coupes. I currently own the 2005 Nissan Pathfinder that I bought new in its first model year of being completely redesigned. I am definitely a loyalist when it comes to new and cool Nissan products. I have never bought a new car from any other brand. I have never before been more disappointed than I have in this Leaf process. I understand there are delays and setbacks in any new product, but delivering the vehicles out of order is unacceptable and the day that someone realized it was happening should have been the day that those vehicles were pulled back and put in the proper order.

I am not asking for anything tangible today, I have resigned myself to the fact that I will get my vehicle when I get it. Hopefully California's $5000 clean air rebate will still be available when it arrives. I will be disappointed if it ran out because people that ordered after me were able to qualify for it first and I will then have to decide if the Leaf is right for me. As I am sure you are aware of mynissanleaf.com, there are many other upset Leaf enthusiasts in my same situation. I am most disappointed that Nissan has yet to address these people officially, except for the different answers we all receive from CS.

What I most want from Nissan (and others as well based on the discussions at mynissanleaf.com), is a formal statement of what happened, how it is being addressed and an apology. I hope that Nissan can give the respect to the customers that are making the Nissan Leaf the success it is and be honest with us.

Thank you for your time,

David

I don't expect any business to give a formal statement on their internal issues, that's unrealistic. All Nissan needs to do is communicate better and have better CS. No one had a delivery contract so if Nissan had issues it's tough luck, they don't owe anyone anything but a good business would have handled it better, MUCH better. Too many people acted like the delivery date was a contract and acted accordingly. I don't mean to be blunt but that's the fact of the matter. Nissan has bad communication and very poor customer service but they don't need to explain anything other than "we are experiencing delays", etc. ANyone could cancel and tell Nissan what to do with their CS, or put up with the BS but don't expect much else because they have proven to be clueless and will likely continue to do so.

Back