Nissan ESFLOW Electric Coupe Concept : The official Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ttweed said:
Boomer23 said:
I think that we need to lobby Nissan to build this car as a roadster, at least at first.
Personally, I will not be jumping on that bandwagon for a number of reasons. Visibility issues can be resolved much more easily than the complete redesign that would be necessary to convert this car to a roadster or cabriolet. You would be advocating for another year of development at a minimum, delaying any production release date enormously. Removing the roof structure would reduce torsional rigidity and require extensive chassis reinforcement to maintain performance levels while adding weight. When you have to put the roof up on a roadster (it does rain, even here in CA, and sun and wind can also be annoying at times) the result is usually worse visibility than in a coupe, combined with the possibility of increased water intrusion, as well as the higher maintenance/replacement cost of a complex and fragile convertible roof structure. Then you have the problem of lost interior volume due to the need to store the roof structure when collapsed.

I don't think that the "fastback" design of this car even lends itself well to a roadster redesign--look at the height of the rear deck/hatch in relation to the fender tops and cockpit "greenhouse." Integrating a "ragtop" or even a removable hardtop option would be difficult without a complete redesign of the rear end, changing the character and appearance of the car radically. Just put some mirrors and a backup cam on it and save the roadster idea for a future "continuation" model, please! I want this car and I want it sooner rather than later. Having lived with the compromises of a Miata roadster for 21 years, that idea has no appeal for me anymore.

TT

If that bandwagon rolled by, I probably would jump on. My only concern is my perception that Nissan doesn't really "get" the convertible concept since they stopped copying Triumphs in the 60's. A low slung battery pack and housing nicely provides the rigidity it seems. I've driven ragtops of one form or another for the last 23 yrs. Looking for a replacement for the 10 yr old Porsche. SoCal wind, sun and occasional rain.... if it's in a ragtop with mid-engine handling and 5 sec 0-60mph acc... bring it;

sparky said:
ttweed said:
Boomer23 said:
I think that we need to lobby Nissan to build this car as a roadster, at least at first.
Personally, I will not be jumping on that bandwagon for a number of reasons. Visibility issues can be resolved much more easily than the complete redesign that would be necessary to convert this car to a roadster or cabriolet. You would be advocating for another year of development at a minimum, delaying any production release date enormously. Removing the roof structure would reduce torsional rigidity and require extensive chassis reinforcement to maintain performance levels while adding weight. When you have to put the roof up on a roadster (it does rain, even here in CA, and sun and wind can also be annoying at times) the result is usually worse visibility than in a coupe, combined with the possibility of increased water intrusion, as well as the higher maintenance/replacement cost of a complex and fragile convertible roof structure. Then you have the problem of lost interior volume due to the need to store the roof structure when collapsed.

I don't think that the "fastback" design of this car even lends itself well to a roadster redesign--look at the height of the rear deck/hatch in relation to the fender tops and cockpit "greenhouse." Integrating a "ragtop" or even a removable hardtop option would be difficult without a complete redesign of the rear end, changing the character and appearance of the car radically. Just put some mirrors and a backup cam on it and save the roadster idea for a future "continuation" model, please! I want this car and I want it sooner rather than later. Having lived with the compromises of a Miata roadster for 21 years, that idea has no appeal for me anymore.

TT

If that bandwagon rolled by, I probably would jump on. My only concern is my perception that Nissan doesn't really "get" the convertible concept since they stopped copying Triumphs in the 60's. A low slung battery pack and housing nicely provides the rigidity it seems. I've driven ragtops of one form or another for the last 23 yrs. Looking for a replacement for the 10 yr old Porsche. SoCal wind, sun and occasional rain.... if it's in a ragtop with mid-engine handling and 5 sec 0-60mph acc... bring it;

Points well taken, of course, Tom. I was only half serious. I had the thought about a roadster because the ESFLOW design does look like it has a real rear visibility problem, but I'm fine with solving it with technology, like cameras.

EDIT: I just realized that my use of "Tom" is ambiguous, I was responding to ttweed.

I hope Nissan does do a convertible or roadster version of the ESFLOW. That's the car we want. We currently own a Boxster, (not a Cayman!), as well as a Leaf.

sparky said:
My only concern is my perception that Nissan doesn't really "get" the convertible concept since they stopped copying Triumphs in the 60's.
Convertibles are of low practicality in large parts of the market. There is a world there outside SoCal ;)

Herm said:
There are custom shops that will chop off the roof and make a convertible for you..

Yes, that would be a lovely, floppy, sloppy abortion of a vehicle. Do they paint the raw edges of the steel or aluminum, or just leave them as a natural deterrent to touching the bodywork?

By the by, the smiley faces that are to the left can be added to your posts when you are joking. :D

adrianco said:
I hope Nissan does do a convertible or roadster version of the ESFLOW.
Don't count on it. I'll go out on a limb and predict it's not going to happen.

Boomer23 said:
Yes, that would be a lovely, floppy, sloppy abortion of a vehicle. Do they paint the raw edges of the steel or aluminum, or just leave them as a natural deterrent to touching the bodywork?

Some of those shops actually do work for the Big Detroit 3.. no idea how they handle the edges.

I was looking at a neighbors 370z today, its a bit too much.. I would prefer a more retro look similar to the older Zs.. the concept is probably too wild to sell well.

I'm tired of the retro trend. We are building new, cutting edge EV's, they should look modern, even futuristic, if styled properly. I'd say the ESFlow does a pretty good job.

JRP3 said:
I'm tired of the retro trend. We are building new, cutting edge EV's, they should look modern, even futuristic, if styled properly. I'd say the ESFlow does a pretty good job.

I myself would like a Chrysler Imperial (electric) from the 60s. Why not?.. its powered 100% from locally produced fuel. I'm thinking of that black Imperial that was prominent in a TV show, cant remember the name.

This one is green and has futuristic fins, I think it totally promotes your concept :)

Chrysler_Imperial_1959_s_Rick_Feibusch-2009.jpg

Herm said:
JRP3 said:

This one is green and has futuristic fins, I think it totally promotes your concept :)

Chrysler_Imperial_1959_s_Rick_Feibusch-2009.jpg
It is interesting that the "futuristic" styles mostly look dated in the future :lol:

Just look at any of the old sci-fi movies. They could do time-travel but all the monitors and electronics look so dated !

Random fumbling technical question about the "twin motor" concept. We now know a bit about the LEAF motor but can the current battery pack actually drive two 80kw motors? I get mechanical engineering but fuzzy ish on the electrical engineering side. According to the LEAF Wiki the current pack can deliver "over" 90kw of power. Does this work with a combined 160kw of motor(s)? Or the fact that they are seperate 80kw units (likely using a very different controller) not violate the power matching of the current LEAF pack/motor combo of +90/80? What if you had a single 160kw motor and the current over +90 pack? Is that a waste of a big electric motor or does over 90 mean the current pack can also deliver 160kw? Maybe it's really a battery question. What if you only used half a LEAF pack and the current 80kw LEAF motor? Is this the same waste of a big motor? How big a motor could each LEAF module drive. Or is this all really an Amp question applied to each battery module??? Sorry, rambling done.

TRONZ said:
Random fumbling technical question about the "twin motor" concept. We now know a bit about the LEAF motor but can the current battery pack actually drive two 80kw motors? I get mechanical engineering but fuzzy ish on the electrical engineering side. According to the LEAF Wiki the current pack can deliver "over" 90kw of power.
And just to be clear: the "over 90kw" figure comes from a press release reported by autoblog.com, as noted in the wiki's table's footnote.

TRONZ said:
Random fumbling technical question about the "twin motor" concept. We now know a bit about the LEAF motor but can the current battery pack actually drive two 80kw motors?

No it cant, the battery would overheat or the voltage would sag too much.. damaging the battery. Perhaps they are using a different chemistry or two 40kw motors or two battery packs.. You may be able to get 160kw out of the battery pack for a few seconds, it will take some time to heat up.. obviously fuses would have to be disabled.

Future modders will bypass these hp limits routinely, but they dont care about battery longevity.

A pack of A123's, Toshiba SCIB's, or Altairnano's could do it. Or maybe the next gen Nissan cells...

Back