Nissan Dealership DCQC charging survey - misses the point?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeaneG

I got an email this afternoon pointing to a Nissan survey regarding quick charging at nearby Nissan dealerships which to me seemed to completely miss the point - it kept asking me whether I was interested in quick charging at the Nissan Dealership nearest my home. I filled out the survey as best I could, but in the comments box at the end mentioned that the survey seemed way off base, I want QC at destinations 50 miles away to enable roundtrips (San Francisco, Berkeley, Santa Cruz, Monterey). If QC systems are placed at distant Nissan dealerships, fine, but that did not seem to be the point of the survey questions.

I may be off base here but WTF was my initial reaction to the survey. It seems to me that Nissan should put more Leafs in the hands of their own marketing people so that they have a basic understanding of what they are selling.

DeaneG said:
I got an email this afternoon pointing to a Nissan survey regarding quick charging at nearby Nissan dealerships which to me seemed to completely miss the point - it kept asking me whether I was interested in quick charging at the Nissan Dealership nearest my home. I filled out the survey as best I could, but in the comments box at the end mentioned that the survey seemed way off base, I want QC at destinations 50 miles away to enable roundtrips (San Francisco, Berkeley, Santa Cruz, Monterey). If QC systems are placed at distant Nissan dealerships, fine, but that did not seem to be the point of the survey questions.

I may be off base here but WTF was my initial reaction to the survey. It seems to me that Nissan should put more Leafs in the hands of their own marketing people so that they have a basic understanding of what they are selling.

+1
These surveys are so way off base.
Got one that asked me what transmission type my Leaf has?

The Latest Level II EVSE's that were installed near me were in an isolated gas station.
Who would sit in their EV in a gas station and charge for 2 hours?

I wonder who is steering the boat sometimes.

I got a survey invite today too. Is this the same one you got?

Which of the following statements best describes your feelings about the Nissan LEAF today?
I am not at all interested in the Nissan LEAF.
I am interested in the Nissan LEAF, but not considering buying or leasing one.
I am considering buying or leasing one in the future
I currently own or lease a Nissan LEAF.

Do you own a level 2 (220/240 volt) home charger?
Yes
No

Is the Nissan LEAF your sole vehicle in the household?
Yes
No

If Nissan offered a program to Nissan LEAF customers that allowed them to swap their LEAF for another Nissan vehicle for longer trips at no cost, would you utilize this program?
Yes
No

How many days during an average year do you think you would utilize this program?
Less than a week One to two weeks Two to three weeks Three to four weeks More than four weeks

Infrastructure
The following questions are focused on your routine driving behaviors and probes on actions that we can take as a company and leader in the zero emissions space to enhance the charging infrastructure.
On average how many miles do you drive to work (one way)?
0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100
Miles Driven (one way)

In what type of environment do you drive most frequently?
Within city limits Within the suburbs/back roads outside city limits
In rural areas Long distances on Interstates/Highways

Where would you most prefer public chargers be located in relation to where you live?
Within city limits Within the suburbs/back roads outside city limits
In rural areas Along Interstates/Highways
No preference as I will not/do not use public chargers

Based on your weekly driving habits, in what situation would you feel it most important to charge an electric vehicle?
Running errands/shopping
On lengthy weekend trips
At work before I leave

How frequently do you visit/ anticipate visiting a public charging station within a week?
1-2 per week 3-4 per week 5-6 per week 6 or more per week

What is the maximum distance you would drive, out of the way, to go to a public charging station?
0 2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20
Mileage

When you hear the term "public charger", what comes to mind?

What is the maximum amount of time you would be willing to spend at a public charging station, charging, in order to gain an additional 40-50 miles of range?
0 10 20 30 40 50 60
Minutes

What is the maximum amount of money you would be willing to spend on charging to gain an additional 40-50 miles of range?
0 5 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45 50

What is your preferred method of payment when using a public charging station?
Credit Card (Pay as you go)
Prepaid Membership Card (Periodically reloaded)
Pay As You Go Membership Card (Billed to a credit card account)
Membership Card (Flat yearly fee)

If a public charger gave you 40-50 additional miles of range in fifteen minutes at no charge, would you be more inclined to utilize public charging stations rather than a home or work charger?
Yes
No

What is the maximum amount you would be willing to pay per year for unlimited access to public charging (assuming a gain of 40-50 miles of range in fifteen minutes)?
25 50 75 100 125 150 175 200

Please rank where you would like to have public charging stations that could provide 40-50 miles of additional charge in 15 minutes installed, from most to least important.
(1= most important location for charging stations; 9= least important location for charging stations)
1 Shopping Malls
2 Gas Stations
3 Workplace
4 Nissan/Infiniti Dealership
5 Fast Food Chains (McDonald's, Burger King, Subway)
6 Grocery Store (Kroger, Publix, Safeway, Walmart Grocer)
7 Community Park 8 Airport
9 Big Box Retailer (Walmart, Target, Kohl's)

Assuming you would utilize a 15 minute charger to gain an additional 40-50 miles, please rank in order of importance the following factors.
(1= most important factor; 7= least important factor)
1 Time it takes to charge my vehicle
2 Convenience of public charging location
3 Cost of charging my vehicle
4 Amenities available to me while charging (Food/beverage service, convenience store, etc.)
5 Restrooms
6 Perks for using charging station locations (Wi-Fi hotspots, Rewards points, etc.)
7 Public charger

How close is a Nissan/Infiniti dealership to your home?
0-5 miles
6-10 miles
11-15 miles
16-20 miles
20 or more miles

How close is a Nissan/Infiniti dealership to your work?
0-5 miles
6-10 miles
11-15 miles
16-20 miles
20 or more miles

If Nissan/Infiniti dealerships offered public charging, would you use their facilities?
Yes
No

What is your primary reason for not wanting to utilize public charging stations at a Nissan/Infiniti dealership?
I think they will try to sell me something
The dealership is too far from my home
There is too much traffic near the dealer's location
The dealer closest to me has a bad reputation
Other (Please explain):

Would the presence of credits/incentives (i.e. rewards points,complimentary car washes, etc.) for customers make you more likely to charge at a Nissan/Infiniti dealership?
Yes
No

If the charger were made available in a 24/7 Zero Emission Experience Center – exclusive to EV drivers, with amenities catering to drivers, and separate from the dealership sales area – would this change your opinion about charging at a Nissan/Infiniti dealership?
Yes- I would consider charging at a Nissan/Infiniti dealership
No- offering a 24/7 Zero Emission Experience Center would have no impact

What amenities would you prefer while charging your vehicle at a dealership? Please choose all that apply.
Beverage/ Snack service
Television
Wireless internet
Car wash
Restrooms
Other (Please explain):

Ultimately, how important is it for your Nissan/Infiniti dealer to provide the opportunity to gain 40-50 miles of range in 15 minutes for your electric vehicle purchase or lease?
Not at All important Somewhat Important Important Very Important

Do you own a garage, covered awning, or a carport?
Yes No

Please feel free to use the space below to provide us with you direct feedback regarding the Nissan LEAF, barriers to consideration/purchase, EV technology, and or any other topics that you would like.

We value, you, as a member of the Nissan LEAF Research Panel.

That's the one. I definitely used the "space below". Just don't see much point in DC QC anywhere near home or work. If you can't make that roundtrip on nightly L2 charging, you bought the wrong car. I can see some emergency exception which would prompt a QC session, but only in an extreme circumstances.

Much rather have QC placed somewhere I want to go, but could not make the roundtrip without it.

Not sure I would want QC at the dealership at all. Too many reports of hassles as is with L2 at the dealer.
Make it free or nominal cost available 24/7 with no dealer contact then fine.

BTW I have no L3 port.

I do not see an issue with a DCQC closer to my home. It will be 50 miles away from somebody's else home. Plus if you forget to charge overnight, you can go for a quick charge at your friendly Nissan dealer.

I love the sound of the "24/7 Zero Emission Experience Center ". Snacks, bathrooms, free WiFi -- I'm down, as long as the dealer doesn't park a freaking Pathfinder in the way of the QC...

I think the point--or one of the points, anyway--of their survey was to see if there was sufficient interest and a business case for them to establish their own string of quick charging stations, complete with a subscription fee. A quick charger close to home or work might make a LEAF a viable option for an apartment or condo dweller who can't install a charger in their garage (or lack thereof).

That said, I told them something similar to what DeaneG did--I want them at places far away from home, so I can go there, charge and come back. Even L2 chargers at major attractions--parks, museums, stadiums, convention centers, shopping centers--would be good, as people go there and spend sufficient time to charge up.

camasleaf said:
I do not see an issue with a DCQC closer to my home. It will be 50 miles away from somebody's else home. Plus if you forget to charge overnight, you can go for a quick charge at your friendly Nissan dealer.

+1

I still think Dealers should offer free fast charges to THEIR customers, everyone else pays.. plus you either stay with the car as it charges or leave your keys with the receptionist. Great publicity for the Leaf to see one charging in 30 minutes. Nissan should step up and offer free chargers to dealers that meet their Leaf goals.

NYLEAF said:
I love the sound of the "24/7 Zero Emission Experience Center ". Snacks, bathrooms, free WiFi -- I'm down, as long as the dealer doesn't park a freaking Pathfinder in the way of the QC...

Hear hear! I would love to see this as well.

Herm said:
Great publicity for the Leaf to see one charging in 30 minutes. Nissan should step up and offer free chargers to dealers that meet their Leaf goals.

Even without seeing a Leaf charging, potential customers see the chargers, and that eases range anxiety. Those customers may never need to use the charger, but its presence makes the different between them buying a Leaf or something else.

Spoke to a Chevy dealer about their Volts a few months ago after they had remodeled the dealership. Asked him if they had a level 2 charging station & he said they had to because of selling Volts. Asked him where it was & he said it's in the service bay & that Chevy had wanted him to put it outside, but he fought them on it and got in locked away. :shock:

You think Nissan's bad about chargers...

Think you just have to have an all EV company (i.e. Tesla) in order to have people in a car company who understand EVs & their customers' wants/needs.

Philip

camasleaf said:

I read the survey and I thought the questions were great. + 10 on the comment above, and for pointing out the obvious to everyone who was upset at the thought of a local QC.

1st, sometimes I drive during the day for 60 miles and want to go back home for an hour and then go back out on the road again to meet friends a few cities away. Not currently possible unless you go out in the morning head home and charge all day then go out again at night. Inconvenient.
2nd obviously, if they were at local dealers they would also be all over along many destinations that are not local. The only issue would be that the dealers would need to let non locals charge regardless of if they bought there or not.
3rd, experience centers sound great, they really need to make sure the dealers don't block the charge spaces. Imagine if every time we went to a gas station we had to first find the irritated station employees and ask one of them to move their car so we could fill up.

DeaneG said:

its early afternoon; You have just pulled into your garage in your LEAF. the remaining range; 15 miles. you did not plug in last night anticipating a light driving day and plenty of time to charge up if plans changed since its not even 2 in the afternoon.

You have not even checked your 2nd email when you receive a call from SO who is in a panic because she had forgotten paperwork needed for meeting at 3 pm and just realized she did not have it when she went out to Prius at lunch to get it. She is "requesting" (although it sounded more like a demand) that I bring it out to her in Centrailia 32 miles away. it is now 1:50 and the destination is a 40 minute drive.

my options;

1) its your problem, you deal with it

2) go the QC that someone thought was best placed "50 miles away"

3) or swing by my local QC that is conveniently located 6 miles from my home

obtw; the above scenario is pretty much based on real life experiences

DaveinOlyWA said:
you did not plug in last night anticipating a light driving day and plenty of time to charge up if plans changed since its not even 2 in the afternoon.

I'm curious - why wouldn't you plug in every night regardless of what you expect the following day? My round-trip commute is 4.5 miles. Some days, that's all the driving I do. Yet I still "top off" to 80% at night.

GetOffYourGas said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
you did not plug in last night anticipating a light driving day and plenty of time to charge up if plans changed since its not even 2 in the afternoon.

I'm curious - why wouldn't you plug in every night regardless of what you expect the following day? My round-trip commute is 4.5 miles. Some days, that's all the driving I do. Yet I still "top off" to 80% at night.

degradation. your battery's "long life" mode of 80% SOC is not aptly named. it should be named "longer life" mode or "better than 100%" mode

but it definitely cannot be named "best SOC for longest life" mode since that level of SOC is reputed to be 30-40% (which is where my LEAF was incidentally...)

besides, you have completely missed the point so i will restate; "after getting home from my 65 mile trip with only 15 miles of range left..."

GetOffYourGas said:

I quite often add charge manually when I wake on a non-work morning. I like the car to sit with around 50% charge, just in case it's needed. And, since my work schedule can be somewhat changeable, I want to do that without disturbing the 100% 7-day timer setting.

mwalsh said:
GetOffYourGas said:

I quite often add charge manually when I wake on a non-work morning. I like the car to sit with around 50% charge, just in case it's needed. And, since my work schedule can be somewhat changeable, I want to do that without disturbing the 100% 7-day timer setting.

there ya go!! ... obtw; whats a timer?? is that one of those TOU things i keep hearing about?

DaveinOlyWA said:
besides, you have completely missed the point so i will restate; "after getting home from my 65 mile trip with only 15 miles of range left..."

Your assumption is wrong. I understand your point just fine. Hence the "I'm curious...".

DaveinOlyWA said:
obtw; whats a timer?? is that one of those TOU things i keep hearing about?

I believe he's talking about the charge timer built into the car, not the time-of-use (TOU) electricity measurement. The former controls when the car will and will not charge. The latter is a pricing scheme set by your utility.

DaveinOlyWA said:
your battery's "long life" mode of 80% SOC is not aptly named. it should be named "longer life" mode or "better than 100%" mode

but it definitely cannot be named "best SOC for longest life" mode since that level of SOC is reputed to be 30-40% (which is where my LEAF was incidentally...)

I have heard this before. Is there a mod around that provides the owner better control of the SoC? I would much rather set it to charge to say 50-60% than to worry about when I do or do not plug in.

i dont live in TOU which is reason for my comment. have to get a dig into Michael as much as i can (still sore from all his "drive LEAF for free on solar" threads")

as far as charging to lower SOC. manually is the only option. what i normally do is plug in LEAF when i get home say at 5 or 6 or whatever and then unplug it a few hours later. i go from 20-30% SOC to around 65-70% SOC and it is that range the LEAF is in predominantly. now is all this "work" affecting my pack's longevity?

probably not enough to worry about it especially at this time of year and all the "pack" concerns are probably been negated by my 24 trips to the QC station (including 16 so far THIS month)

now for an easier option, some have investigated a timer on the EVSE itself kinda like a "vacation lamp timer" not sure what the amperage rating is for something like that... or you could have your kids do all the work

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbzw8AEeYh0[/youtube]

Back