Nissan,BMW, Tesla eye collaboration over charging technology

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dgpcolorado said:
(And, by the way, the planned network has most of the Supercharger stations in the NE and mid-Atlantic states considerably closer than 150 miles from the next nearest.)

I'm looking at the 2015 map on Tesla's website and what you state is true for the I-95 corridor. Granted, this is where most of the population resides. But look again at NY and New England - as you get away from the cost, the spacing seems to be about 100-150 miles between each station. This spacing holds for most of the country with exceptions along the major population areas. My point is that this represents an opportunity for another player to fill in some gaps.

dgpcolorado said:
If you are talking about trying to drastically increase the density of the network to cover small battery cars, including all the current non-Teslas, such as the LEAF, it would not be of value (cost-effective) in my judgment. The cost would be high and it rather misses the point, which is to allow long distance travel in BEVs. Short range BEVs aren't practical for long distance travel, regardless of whether they can use the Superchargers or not.

That is not what I'm talking about. I am not suggesting that Nissan (or others) would want to expand the network for this purpose. What I am trying to say is that this could be a side benefit for the early adopters to also benefit.

dgpcolorado said:
As I understand it, the purpose of the Supercharger network is not to allow extended or free local travel, although they can be used for that in many densely populated areas. Nor is it to allow travel from a Supercharger to every possible location, on every road, in the 48 contiguous states. Rather, it is to allow cars to get from home to a network node for regional or cross-country travel. The routes taken for that long distance travel won't necessarily be the most direct or shortest. But it should be possible for most trips. And L2 charging can fill in some of the gaps.

This is my understanding as well, at least for the plan through 2015. Longer term, it will depend on who buys into the network and how many compatible cars are actually on the road. I have to believe Tesla is looking far past 2015, and the Model S/X / Gen III when they are engaging other manufacturers.

dgpcolorado said:
If that doesn't make sense, then I give up.

What you are saying does make sense. I feel the same way though - I'm not sure you really are following my line of thought. I apologize if this discussion frustrates you and makes you want to "give up".

When using an SC, the car delivers its VIN (repeatedly) to the SC machine.
One might suspect that the SC could consult a Tesla database for
permission to charge that vehicle.

If that is the case, non-blessed vehicles might need to sign up
and pay some subscription fee, just to be allowed to use the
charging network. Also, there could be additional fees associated
with each charging session. Once addicted, the fees might even change.

garygid said:
When using an SC, the car delivers its VIN (repeatedly) to the SC machine.
One might suspect that the SC could consult a Tesla database for
permission to charge that vehicle.

If that is the case, non-blessed vehicles might need to sign up
and pay some subscription fee, just to be allowed to use the
charging network. Also, there could be additional fees associated
with each charging session. Once addicted, the fees might even change.
Oh, man, I can just see the next generation of hackers building and selling the modern equivalent of blue boxes for free charging. After all, the two Steves (Wozniak and Jobs) started out in business together that way, as phone hackers.

Well, Tesla knows where the SC machine is located, and they
also know where the vehicle is located, by its GPS and Nav system,
so spoofing a Tesla VIN might be ... very difficult.

It is unlikely that ...
a Tesla, currently located in Los Angeles, is wanting to charge at a SC
station located in Denver, or even Santa Monica. And, it would be
strange for one Tesla to want to connect to two different SC stations
at the same time. Further, if there was a Tesla waiting to charge,
and somebody tried to use its VIN to connect another car, the Tesla
system could simply ask the car if it is currently connected to an SC.
When it says "No", you would be "busted".

Now, what the Tesla system acgually does for checking, I do not know.
We have observed the VIN in the CAN messages, but do not yet know
if the SC provides an ID to the car.

Back