nissan awsomeness/new to brand

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epic

The only reason I would have ever considered a nissan is this crazy great car. I now do not care to drive my other vehicles. Is anyone else the same mind set?My father worked his entire career at ford motor & I get a great discount on them. I've only driven ford product other then the dodge viper & one mercedes (big mistake, they suck). But , this leaf is the best of all the 30 + cars I have owned. Over & out on the rant.....Do others have simalar LUV stories:))

Yes I feel this way. Growing up we were a GM or Ford ONLY family. Both grandparents worked for Ford. I drove a Ford for the last 10 years, My wife has a Kia. The Leaf has been the best car I have ever driven on a daily basis. My wife now wants a Nissan because the Leaf has been such a great car and great value for the money.

Only reason I bought Nissan was for the Leaf and I love it. Didn't much matter to me who built a car like this. I was going to get one as soon as it was available here in the hinterlands. Nissan just happened to be first so they got my $$. We'll have to see what is available in 6-7 years but there's a good chance it will be another Nissan BEV.

Unfortunately, for some of us that have owned our Leafs for a number of years now and suffered through battery degradation, no communications from Nissan, misstated facts by Nissan (I'm being politically correct here), and other such corporate and vehicle lapses, that euphoria and brand loyalty has largely worn off... At this stage, I really don't see my next EV being a Nissan unless there are some significant changes in both the pack and the attitude...

FWI, I've never owned a Nissan before this. Other than the Z, they have never made anything that appealed to me.

CMYK4Life said:
Yes I feel this way. Growing up we were a GM or Ford ONLY family. Both grandparents worked for Ford. I drove a Ford for the last 10 years, My wife has a Kia. The Leaf has been the best car I have ever driven on a daily basis. My wife now wants a Nissan because the Leaf has been such a great car and great value for the money.

We're kind of the opposite - we used to be very loyal to the brand then moved away - the LEAF is the first Nissan I've had for over 25 years.

Back in the gas crisis days of 1978 our 1972 Land Rover (original version, not the fancy modern ones) crapped out and parts were mail order and delayed by months. Living in a small town far from any place only American cars were available and my parents weren't going to get one of those again, so got a ride to a bigger town a couple hours away to look at a VW rabbit, were put off by snooty sales people, and ended up with a Datsun B210.

That started a very long relationship with Nissan. In the late 70s Toyota and Datsun were duking it out for the title of best Japanese car in the US, though of course we now know Honda was lurking in the wings, and our success with that first car meant many others followed: A 1979 Datsun 310, then my first car, a Nissan 1983 1/2 King Cab. Later Stanza and Sentra, and as my parents finances improved, a used Q45.

Somewhere along the way Nissan quality started to suffer relative to Toyota, Honda, and even Mazda and Subaru. And to be honest the vehicles themselves just didn't seem the same design quality. My parents moved to a model they follow to this day - one Toyota and one Honda. I tried several makes before settling primarily on Toyota. I frequently test drove Nissans, and once came close to getting a Quest until I read the reliability reports, but never actually bought.

I'm happy to be back now with the Nissan LEAFs and I hope this signals clear improvement ahead for the brand.

Don't have a Leaf yet (long story) but I've had 2 Nissan before and was reasonably happy w/them. My mom has 1 Nissan (it's a first for my parents). As long as I don't hear of major widespread probs w/the Leaf, I won't mind leasing one. If I lived in Phoenix, TX or other hot climates, I'd steer clear of the Leaf unless my range needs were very modest.

After our bad experiences w/3 GM products, we don't buy GM anymore. It's been Toyotas and Nissan for us except for a 93 Dodge Caravan, which was actually ok except for the transmission (no, it was a 3-speed auto, not the infamous 4-speed Ultradrive).

I've never even considered a Nissan, probably never even been inside one, and to be honest I'd looked forward to the FFE or Chevy Spark EV. Only after listening to Carlos Ghosn on Revenge of the Electric Car did I realize that Nissan is the only mainstream automaker serious about EV's. I've been very impressed so far, just passed 1000 miles and can't be happier with my Leaf!

When got mine, the LEAF was the only available EV that was built by an established car manufacturer. I liked the idea of driving a car that was built by a company who had some experience with putting together a steering column, ABS brakes or airbags.

Last Nissan in our garage was a Datsun 210 SX - about an '82, I think. The poor man's Z car.
My wife and I both enjoy the LEAF, like to drive it, and it well fits our needs. I've never been much of a fan of the word 'awesome', and don't think the LEAF quite reaches that level. It is a great car, but probably not awesome.

OTOH, with the acquisition of the Tesla S, awesome might creep into my vocabulary. ;)

The LEAF and the Tesla fulfill our transportation requirements quite nicely. I waited years for production electric cars, and now have them. Happy as a clam.

I'm fairly loyal to the Lexus-Toyota cartel.

I have owned a couple fords. Terrible! ( I will say had a new exploder and Taurus as rentals, both super nice!)
Had a dodge, Sucked!
Had a kia. Cheap crap! a $10k new car w 100k mile warranty. I got what I paid for.
Had a mazda, was a ford in disguise. sucked!
Had a Mitsubishi, fun car, but very weak internal engine components. It smoked like a locomotive
Been very happy with every Toyota and lexus I have owned. except my Prius. It had some issues.
My camry had over a quarter million miles and still puts around town with the highschooler I sold it to.
I had two gm products, a Pontiac vibe and a chevy prizm both built by Toyota!
I had a Volkswagen that I imported from the uk. was right hand drive and a hoot to drive. was the only one in the us so parts were an issue.
Lastly I had an Audi, neat car but was very unreasonable for repair parts, and moderately difficult to work on. Terrible terrible car. would never ever buy again.

Ahh, not really partial to Nissan. They just happened to release an ev that was acceptable to my pocket book. I guess time will tell. I am currently very happy with it.

TomT said:
Unfortunately, for some of us that have owned our Leafs for a number of years now and suffered through battery degradation, no communications from Nissan, misstated facts by Nissan (I'm being politically correct here), and other such corporate and vehicle lapses, that euphoria and brand loyalty has largely worn off... At this stage, I really don't see my next EV being a Nissan unless there are some significant changes in both the pack and the attitude...

FWI, I've never owned a Nissan before this. Other than the Z, they have never made anything that appealed to me.

CMYK4Life said:

I guess its all about what your expectations are at the begining. I also think I have a different view because I leased. Fortunatley, I had these and other forums populated with REAL owners to educate me about things like battery degradation.

I have had 100% the opposite experience communicating with people at Nissan. I have had two people from reach out to me since I started posting here. Someone from the Technical Center and someone from Marketing.

I appricate Leaf owners before me that continue to give objective feedback to Nissan about the Leaf. Its important to the development of future models. I learned a few things reading your posts.

I DO hope the Nissan people are listening.
The last "Nissan" I had was the coolest little 1.5 cab Datsun pick up truck with 4wd and factory knobby tires and it was over 22 years ago.
I would NEVER have set foot in a Nissan dealership except for this Leaf.
They just were not on my Car radar.

I ordered My Leaf on Day 1, and before that I was working with a guy about ripping the engine out of a Prius and replacing it with more batteries.

I'm happy with my Leaf.
I confess.. I drove it to an event recently, and came out to find 2 Tesla S's and a Fisker parked around it.....
Never felt more like a Versa in my life.
Wow those S's are pretty.

Leaf is the first Nissan car bought in our family. Previous cars: 82 Corolla, 83 Renault Alliance (big mistake), 90 Corolla, 91 Corolla, 93 Camry, 2011 Prius. Very happy with Toyota purchases. Will be comparing Leaf to Toyotas to see if it is as well designed/manufactured. So far so good.

As a previous LEAF owner in Phoenix who suffered battery degradation and sold back the LEAF to Nissan through a buyback, I've been dis-illusioned by Nissan's inadequate response to the issue of battery capacity in hot weather climate. The fact that they continue to sell LEAFs in AZ without any hesitation to-date without an acceptable remedy tells me that they're not serious enough about looking after the customers' best interest. Yes, they did buy back my LEAF, but buybacks are far and few in between at their discretion to keep vocal customers quiet. They may think that the 9-bar capacity warranty is a sufficient remedy to the issue, but I disagree and I bet most of AZ owners are not jumping up and down for joy either. I think at the minimum, they should fully disclose to new customers in hot climate areas going forward at the point of sales about the significant effect of heat on their battery, but somehow I doubt that they do.

I just don't want to deal with a car company that doesn't have the best interest of the customer in mind.

Back